Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

One time I was walking down the street to my car and a truck drove by and one of the guys yelled out "you need to hit the lettuce!"

Last edited by fadedbluejeans; 03-15-2014 at 06:12 PM.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes. It's a rite of passage. I do the laughing now. Mostly at the people that laughed at me.

Last edited by IanG; 03-15-2014 at 07:57 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

Yup, happened to my mom and I when we were in the middle of our weight loss. We were walking on the dirt road we lived off of and a neighbor passed us and took the time to stop and write "Look at the two fat heifers" on a piece of paper and anchor it with a rock. Its gotta be a really messed up person, you know? We had never done anything to that neighbor! As others have said, just shake it off!
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

When I was a student and in a heavier phase, I had a part-time job in a restaurant. One of the cooks kept asking me why my hips were so wide. How on earth does one answer such a question? At 21 I sure didn't know.

On the plus side, around this time last year (age 56) I was going for a run in Texas, and a guy driving by rolled down his car window and said, "It's always the ones who don't need it who are working out. That's a compliment, by the way!" It totally made my day.

There are jerks and there are good guys. I say, give the jerks the mental finger and move on.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
When I was a student and in a heavier phase, I had a part-time job in a restaurant. One of the cooks kept asking me why my hips were so wide. How on earth does one answer such a question? At 21 I sure didn't know.

On the plus side, around this time last year (age 56) I was going for a run in Texas, and a guy driving by rolled down his car window and said, "It's always the ones who don't need it who are working out. That's a compliment, by the way!" It totally made my day.

There are jerks and there are good guys. I say, give the jerks the mental finger and move on.

F.
Why does anyone feel the need to say anything at all? I'd be peeved at the so called good guy too because he too is making assumptions about you. I don't need compliments anymore than I need insults. Either way I'm feeling watched and judged.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

OMG! How incredibly childish and, well, just plain stupid. I commend you for continuing your workout, that's really amazing. People can say things like, "it doesn't matter what those jerks say or do!" but in reality, almost all of us ARE concerned with what others do and say to varying degrees, and when you're already so vulnerable, it makes what you did so much more fabulous. I can't even FATHOM making fun of someone because they are working out. I see people of all shapes, sizes and ages at the gym and I think it's fantastic to see everyone.

Congrats on not giving up!!!!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Height: 5'7"

[QUOTE=df180;496353
I considered ending my workout early but I kept on walking and finished anyway. Although this incident is insignificant, it was also humiliating, and hurtful I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this? What do you tell yourself to feel better?[/QUOTE]

I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU for finishing your workout! My favorite workout is also brisk walking. I walk for miles and mile. I have been oinked at, mooed at, had a drink thrown out a car window at me.

Take a look at where you started and look at where you are now. Amazing! You keep going girl.

Alas, there are waaaaay too many stupid ignorant people in this world. Rise high above them.
thinin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #23  

I have had a weight problem most of my life and I have not been treated kindly by others. In middle school I got a new pair of jeans for Christmas and I proudly wore them to school instead of shorts one day- my friend commented about how great I looked *in pants* with the connotation being that I don't look good in shorts. I have never worn shorts since. Ever.

In high school when I began feeling self conscious and having feelings for the opposite sex for the first time I had a couple of boys come up to me and ask for my number, only to laugh at me as their friends laughed in the background. As an undergrad I had cars full of young men laugh at me as I peddled my bike home.

Nowadays few people have made comments about my appearance. It's the lack of attention from the opposite sex that speaks volumes. I feel so ugly and grotesque and yet still somehow invisible to others. I also have picked up the slack with my own demeaning and harsh self dialogue. I call myself worthless, ugly, nasty, not worthy, etc. I'm trying to change but it is hard. The one thing above all else I try to do is to not let it get me off track. It's irrational to let ugly thoughts about my weight get between me and losing weight.

Last edited by Locke; 03-17-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #24  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

About a week ago I had three girls in their early teens holler stuff about how I should be dieting to "deal with my fat ***". They were so brave that they waited until I went into a bathroom stall to say it, giggle and then take off.

They will get their's. Believe me. You've done amazing. Don't let them get you down.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #25  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I will share two similar incidents that happened to me and they still sting a bit even though they were years ago.

The first was when I was 16ish. I was out with a guy who I had known for probably 6 months but it was our first (and then ONLY date after his comment). He turns to me and says "You know, you would be the perfect girl...except for your hips." I didn't even have words to reply to that. It's fair to note that when this happened I was 6'1" tall and weighed 145-150lbs. I am built very hourglassy and even when I had not a speck of fat on me my hips were wide and my waist very narrow and my top the same as my hips. That comment has made me self conscious of my hips my whole life.

The second comment I got was one day when I was getting off a plane. Again this was BEFORE I gained weight, same as above. I was wearing a pair of short khaki shorts. Not booty shorts short, just not quite as long as my fingertips when my arms were at my sides short. I had on a sleeveless mock turtle neck shirt that was not tight, but fitted. I heard two girls giggling behind me and one said "She really should lose at least 10 lbs before wearing that." I turned around and they were staring at me. Again I did not comment. I refuse to lower myself to that. I'm not going to become like them. But those things are still hurtful.

Last edited by MauiKai; 03-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #26  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

I'm of a slightly older generation, and, honestly, the fact that people can take pictures of anyone and film anyone pretty much anywhere out in public makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. I'm super sorry that happened! What rude idiots. You keep doing what you're doing. They are really non-entities, in my book.

I got a hurtful remark when I was working out at a gym once. This was many years ago when I was quite slim. I naturally have broad shoulders and a muscular upper body for a woman. A man elbowed his friend and said, "She looks like a man" in a very disgusted voice. I was completely within earshot, and he didn't care at all - it was as if I wasn't even a person to him. It stung, but did not stop my working out. I. hate. bullies. My parents fortified me with titanium self esteem, for which I will be forever grateful. It has helped me weather lots of cruel commentary from men over the years.

Last edited by TooWicky; 03-18-2014 at 02:33 AM.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #27  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I will never understand WHY people feel the need to tear another human down like that.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #28  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I think so many of us have had this happen.

I was out fast walking in my neighborhood one day, really putting in the effort to go as fast as possible while still only walking (which I know can look a little silly, but whatever) and a car full of adults (both men and women) went by and one shouted,"Try running, fatso!" and then everyone laughed. It was a woman who did the shouting.

What can you do. There are a lot of jerky people out there.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Gosh, some of these stories make me so sad I'm a firm believer in karma in one way or another things always come back around, not that I wish it upon anyone, but you should never treat others this way, especially when they're trying to better themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWicky View Post
I'm of a slightly older generation, and, honestly, the fact that people can take pictures of anyone and film anyone pretty much anywhere out in public makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. I'm super sorry that happened! What rude idiots. You keep doing what you're doing. They are really non-entities, in my book.

I got a hurtful remark when I was working out at a gym once. This was many years ago when I was quite slim. I naturally have broad shoulders and a muscular upper body for a woman. A man elbowed his friend and said, "She looks like a man" in a very disgusted voice. I was completely within earshot, and he didn't care at all - it was as if I wasn't even a person to him. It stung, but did not stop my working out. I. hate. bullies. My parents fortified me with titanium self esteem, for which I will be forever grateful. It has helped me weather lots of cruel commentary from men over the years.
I had to double check your avatar and your first sentence, lol!! You look so young and you have amazing hair!!

I also have been told that my arms/back have a "man's frame" before, yeah every girl wants to hear that, oy. Growing up, remarks about my weight have been more hurtful than anything else!

Last edited by hhm6; 03-18-2014 at 04:28 PM.
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 242/240/150

Height: 5'5

People are so rude and insensitive. And immature. When I was 20 I didn't think I would be overweight some day. Just let yourself have comfort knowing that chances are one or both of them will be obese in their lifetimes and then maybe someone will laugh at them. What jerks.
Kudos to you for finishing your workout. That shows you are not only the better person, but it is a way of laughing back at them. Good for you.
Occheermommy is offline   Reply With Quote