Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:18 PM   #46  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

All, I did it. I made it to Day 2 sugar-free and with a bike ride logged! It wasn't that tough on the sugar as I was kept busy yesterday and things were interesting. My killers are boredom and anxiety, such as interviewing someone or having to work with an editor who is not on my side. Actually though yesterday I could have blown it because I came home late after meeting with some bigshot and was starting to critique myself, saying I talked too much and I probably didn't show the proper respect for him in my language (Japanes is a killer in that). Now, normally that would have been grounds for a trip to the convenience store, just 25 steps away and open 24 hours! for something soothing like a candy bar or, in worst scenarios, a Haagen Daaz ice cream cup, but NO, I just put that voice to rest in my head, say, "You were FINE." and went to bed. Yeah!

During the day there were temptations. I found myself wanting to reach for something sweet but Ijust said, "No, you're not doing sugar." Going past the Jelly Belly store though was tough. I rarely get down that way and licorice jelly beans were calling me. I could hear them! (man, this girl is looped, you're saying.) But, I walked right on by.

The bike ride was tough but I did it too and as I said earlier, there normally would have been no way in the world I would have sat in that very painful saddle. But I did, and logged 38 minutes with a 125 average heartbeat. I use a heart monitor so I can motivate myself to reach new levels! Now, since my minimum (which I'll use on rest days or days I'm feeling physically out of it) is 15 minutes, that was a great workout. I have a book of workouts and that one was called Steady Eddy, which is one of my favorites.

OK, over to you all . . . . .

Amarantha, that's fantastic that you've stuck with it this far. You ARE going to do it. Just watch out for production day. I'm at a newspaper and know how those days can be. If you're like me you get distracted by everything that's going on and it's so easy to forget the challenge or you may want to give yourself a "reward" after all the stress. But, remember you are are on your way to Block 2! Love that "dietary karmic luster" idea, by the way.

Scoobysnacks, congratulations on your new size. Isn't it just one of the most exquisite feelings to slip into a smaller size? You keep it up! We have the momentum.

Jelynn, Are you really back to Day 1. Sounds like you still made a good choice at Arby's. How do you define fast-food? If it's just by the eatery name maybe you could decide on choices that don't constitute fast-food at each of them so you don't feel like you have to blow it each time you step foot inside one of these places. I know there's some real food in some of those places too. In any case, you're making the decision and you know what constitutes a breach of your challenge. Just wanted to check you weren't being too hard on yourself.

Thanks everyone for the support!

It's on to Day 2!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-23-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:47 AM   #47  
Empress/Queen

Ending Day 10 with 1630!!! Did well on production day anxiety-wise, but a dispute over a bill I do not owe is driving me up the wall right now. But have no desire to stress-eat over it, so I'm good to go for Day 11!!!

Scoooby!!! That's great about the jeans!!! You're doing super!!!

Jelynn!!! Good job on your healthy choice at Arby's!!!!!! Everybody ends up starting the 21-dayer over again (I always do!!), so no worries!!! Keep a'goin!!!

Red Balloon: I forgot to mention that I have red hair also, except mine's by virtue of Clairol!!!! You are right about production days, that's how I developed a weight problem in the first place! Glad I have Day 11 off!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:37 AM   #48  
Empress/Queen

Talking Oh, heavens, it's Day 11s!!!!!

11!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 07-23-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #49  

Default ok day 6

I tell you last nite i had to go walk in the rain for my half our of exercise. My roommate asked if i could watch her kid, but i said i needed to take a walk. She said in the rain? I said yes i have to inorder to make the 21 day challenge. She had no idea what i was talking about. This is great cause yesterday i didnt fell like doing anything...except sleeping. After work i said ah skip the gym and you will walk once you get home...and of course i feel a sleep...so at 9pm i crabbed my cd player and took a walk.

My eating is a little off. To many pleasures....however when i do it i definely make sure i enjoy it. Because the worst is when you eat something and you feel horrible about doing it, but do it anyway. I will eat the rest of today...had a half of creme puff..very tasty indeed. So the rest of the day will focused on eating right. I have to get my half hour of exercise in..i hope i go to the gym.

Jeylyn you ate really well. I dont really think you need to start over..its not like you took a binge or ate a brownie fudge sundae.

Amarantha you are doing awesome. Keep it up. I love this this forum. Thanks for starting it!

redballoon...i am such a jelly belly person, along with the swedish fish. You did awesome..those cravings are so hard to beat. Trust me i know. That is my next challege is to try to beat the cravings. I cant do it right now..just working on the exercise part. Awesome job!!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #50  
Never give up

scoobysnacks,
You are incredible! Such determination. You deserve a medal. That walk in the rain and the putting yourself on top of your priority list, that was really, really incredible. You are truly inspiring. You will eat better and you will get that walk in. I believe in you!

Just wanted you all to know I too got my goals in yesterday. The hard one was the excerise. Had been sick in the morning and put off the bike riding. Then got busy and it was bedtime and still hadn't done it. But I did, I got on the bike and did the 20-minute Crisscross workout, at an average heart rate of 113 bpm. I know this sounds anal but the details help motivate me too.

Also no sugar. No major temptations yesterday but feeling super lousy and down in the a.m. didn't help. Actually I did want sugar but didn't eat any. I had some fresh cherries late at night after the bike ride just to satisfy the sweet tooth.

Am writing this at 1 a.m. because one of my cats just came hollering in from the rain with a little mouse in his mouth. I rescued it. Thought I'd log on and report in.

Everyone else, hang in there!
Old 07-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #51  

I just took my walk this lunch hour. I feel all hot and sweaty..i like that feeling cause i know i worked when i get there. So if im really ambitious maybe tonight i will go for a swim.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #52  
Domestic Engineer

Thanks guys, but for me I really do need to start over. I just need to not go to those places at all. I can order healthy, but my kids don't need it either and I don't need to spend the money. I get in ruts where I start going all the time and even when I'm ordering "real food" I start justifying stealing fries and eating the rest of the boy's food. ANyway- it's a problem for me and that's why it's my challenge right now!

redballoon- I'm in awe of you!! YOu may just inspire me for another challenge! SO you are just eating fruit right? Not even aspartame or splenda or are you allowing yourself artificial sweetners? You are doing great!

scooby- good job with your walk! you are doing awesome!!

Amarantha- what can I say?!?!? You are on a roll now! I was with you here all last year (well, before I was pregnant etc.) and I remember how hard we all struggled to get around one block. You are going to do this, girl!!

Day 2 for me and you guys are really inspiring me to not cheat!!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #53  

Jelynn im impressed that you are starting over again...its so hard to start over again. You picked yourself up and wiped off a couple of french fries and your ready to kick some major butt! You can do it. Its easy to get in those ruts...so dont be to hard on yourself.

Redballoon so what is japan like. Same food as we have over here?

Amarantha your going strong!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:39 PM   #54  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

Everyone's doing awesome!!! Scooby walking in the rain, Red Balloon turning a blind eye to sugar and Jelynn on her Day 2 of the new already!!!! We are a determined bunch!!! WE WILL ALL MAKE IT AROUND THAT BLOCK!!!! I feel absolutely focused and energized by this challenge and KNOW this is my time to conquer the dreaded 21!!!

To all mentioned and unmentioned

Shopping time now! Beam me up, Scotty!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:11 PM   #55  
Never give up

Jelynn, Ok, if you say you have to start over. Your honesty is admirable. It means you're not going to deny what you're doing that gets you where you don't want to be. I know how easy it is to let things slide and of course we're only fooling ourselves. I had done no sugar for a year and then started allowing myself little bits. And then I was back full-blown, well, maybe not as bad as I used to be, but enough that the fat was coming back on in a big way!

Yes, I don't eat any artificial sweeteners. They would just keep me hooked and then my taste buds wouldn't change. It's amazing how your tastes will changed when you go totally natural. And the natural sweetness in fruits is different than white sugar. I don't eat honey or molasses for the same reason. Really, sugar just sets me off like you wouldn't believe. Maybe some people can just have a little but I can't. It must be chemical like certain people can't just have one little drink of alcohol. I didn't realize it until I gave it up totally but it works for me. Of course it is really hard at first. It's only not so hard now for me because I've done it before and I also wasn't eating as much sugar as I used to. I know this sounds gross but when I was younger I at times ate pure sugar!

scoobysnacks, Japan has a lot of different foods. But mostly I'd say you're missing all the things you can find in the States that are made for dieting, all the special products and lowfat, nonfat items and the substitute things like butter spray (of which I've heard you talking but I've never seen) and egg replacement and all that. The traditional way of eating was very healthy but nowadays I don't think people eat healthily at all. Maybe the older people do but the younger ones eat a lot of food from the convenience stores, especially here in Tokyo because these stores are everywhere! But the food is gross, full of all sorts of things. I try to stay as close to the natural state as possible. That's another thing. Natural foods are so expensive here. Basically I just try to use a lot of vegetables and beans, tofu and unprocessed grains. It takes a great effort though to make the food and bring it to work and so. That's going to be another challenge of mine, preparing new things, new recipes, as I really get in a rut.

Still I overeat and that's why I can never get the body I want. This time though I'm determined to and all your help is going to get me there. Thanks for being there!

Amarantha, we owe it to you for rallying us together. I think you've gotten to the point where you just CAN'T trip up now. Best of luck!

By the way, this is the begin of my DAY 3. YEAH!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:57 PM   #56  
Empress/Queen

Yay!!! Day 3 for Red Balloon! Let's keep going, everyone!!! We're all almost there and whatever day we're on or whether we start over or not, we can't be more than 21 DAYS AWAY FROM A SUCCESSFUL CHALLENGE and that dose of extra 21-day weight management karma!!!

I'm at 1570, going to make day 11 in fine shape. May eat a bit more later. Will be back.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:52 PM   #57  
Hot Stuff

End of Day 5 here!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #58  
Never give up

Run like wildfire! On the track for 5 days and counting! Kudos to you!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:47 PM   #59  
Empress/Queen

Yay, Wildfire!!! Day 5!!! That's great!

I'm ending my eating day at 1785 calories, this includes a carb control shake I haven't imbibed yet (it's in the freezer chilling), so should handily make it to Day 12.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:44 AM   #60  
Never give up

Congrats Amarantha! You are invincible.

I'm signing in here before I sign out for the night. Not much sleep last night and I'm beat from today.

But I made it, I made it, no sugar and I did 20 min. on the bike. Thank God I got this trainer in my room now otherwise I'd never make it to the gym. At least I can ride. Still, without this site I'd be toast, or it'd be me, or something like that . . .

On to Day 4. We are going strong!
Closed Thread