Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:17 PM   #16  
burned out bus driver

Karen- sorry that your back is hurting... not exactly what you wanted I'm sure. Your state of mind sounds a bit better, and I'm glad about that. I hear ya- no matter what, I think we all want to believe that we could still have another child.......of course you still can with one ovary! The great part about the surgery is that your pain will be GONE!!!! And, Lord willing with that all the other nasty stuff you have endured. And that is exciting for you.

Well, I did get that 20 minute walk in this evening!! And I'm getting up early tomorrow am to walk my 3 mile course. (gotta do it, Dh is in a crabola mood). Other than that today was fairly calm. Tomorrow I have to drive Dd to the airport- she is going with her softball team to Florida.

Me one tired pup! Gotta go- Have a great nite.
Ginny
Old 07-15-2003, 10:36 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hello all!
Sorry I have been MIA for a couple days. Had some problems with my internet company but it's all fixed now and the internet is running smoothly again. Plus I forgot to post in the regular mode (I always use the quick reply) and didn't get any email notifications when one of you all posted so I had to to come to the site to find out what was going on.
But anyway, here I am!!
I am doing just fine. I did get a comment about my weight today. I was told I have three beautiful kids and the guy then went on to congratulate me on my fourth on the way!! My DH told him that we weren't expecting #4, that I had just gave birth to #3. I guess I look like I'm still four months along. DH thought I would really be upset with the comment but you know what? I just laughed. I know I still look pregnant. I'm still stuck in maternity clothes so what do I expect huh? But it does make me want to try harder to get this weight off. I was watching my portions and all but the past few days I haven't even been doing that. Eating whatever I want, ect. So starting tomorrow I will try harder to stick to some plan (which I think I will do slimfast for now since I have several meal bars and powder for drinks) to get me started. Then I will just do something low cal. But I know I should at least get started or I will start to feel awful about myself again and I don't want that. I feel like I have healed well from giving birth and am physically ready for a real diet now. So I will really need you all now, to help me stick to my plan and encourage me not to give up.
Well it's late and I don't have time to get personal tonight. Sorry. I promise though to keep up with you all on your posts now that my computer is running the way it should again.
Talk to you all tomorrow!!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:02 AM   #18  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!!!!!

Spryng~ glad that your internet woes are behind you and you are back with us! Good for you that you did not get upset over that comment about your weight. Gosh, Tanner is only 3 weeks old.....and you have two other children plus a hubby on the mend. Honestly......think of where you were last year and where you are now........and how very different your life is now. New house, new state......new baby........Surgery for Dh.....the list goes on and on.......! I know you, you will get this weight off and know how focused you can be about weight loss when you are ready. Just remember to drink lots of water (or some other clear, non carbonated beverage)- it is hot and that will help you.

As for me, I did get up and go for that long hour walk. Kind of humid here.....and there were a few sprinkles, but it is soooooo quiet at 5 am I do enjoy it! (yes, I am nuts).
And it sure does look like today I have to drive Dd to the airport (Do I really have to do this??? )- this summer seems to be whizzing by an I have had so little time to myself.........to relax and sew. This is gonna sound strange, but I really have to pray that I can finish the summer (so time is important) dress that I am making for Dd. I promised her I would finish it, and well it will not be much longer that she will not want to wear Mommy's homemade dresses. And now I have to drive Dd to and from the airport. Ok, forgive me for being selfish. I had to vent.
Well, gotta go shower up and get to my WW meeting. Have a good day.
Ginny
Old 07-16-2003, 10:57 AM   #19  
One day at a time.

Morning!

Ginny, I'm glad you're getting in all of you walks, they do sound really nice! Don't worry about venting here, that's what we're here for, that's what friends are for, Right! I hope that you can have some time for you soon!!!

Karen, sounds like your spirits have lifted with the thought of being pain free! I'm happy for you, but I also understand your feelings on losing an ovary. Try not to worry though, you need to relax and take care of you now!

Spryng, I'm going with Ginny on this, you'll get back to where you want to be soon enough, but it's only been a few weeks since your beautiful baby arrived, so try not to over do it just yet! And I think you handled the remark better than I might have, MEN, they just don't think before the speak!?!

As for me, I'm finally getting well! Today is the first day, in a week, that I don't have an ear ache. Things are going fine here, I even managed to go swimming again yesterday! But I think I'm going to stick around the house today, and try to get a few things done here.

Have a great day!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #20  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Melissa- That is wonderful that you are feeling better! Between being pregnant- and then it is summer and hot and then a lousy ear/sinus infection, well enough is enough! I hope that you have a nice peaceful "at home" day. There is nothing like a day when you can get organized and get the home front back on track

As far as me being such a blabberpuss these days, Dh has me online doing some college searching for Dd (all related to softball, of course) and I have one last email to send out. So I thought I'd stop in and say hello again.

Got to my WI- I lost .8#. The big push is on......if I lose another .8 this week I will have lost 30#. So I am gearing up for that. The really exciting thing is the friend that I go to the meetings with was starting to lose her focus- and she lost 3#! I am so happy for her.

Todays meeting was about non scale accomplishments. Stuff like- you got all your excercising in, journalled well that week, avoided some disasterous foods, got thru a stressful event without binging....... ways that we can be happy with ourselves and our weight loss journey even if the scale did not go down.
We had to leave the meeting early as my buddy had to pick up her Dd.
Well, you must be sick of me by now!!!! Have a great day.
Ginny
Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #21  

Good morning all!
Of course we are not sick of you Ginny!!lol. There are some days that I will post 2 or 3 times and I haven't heard anyone here complaining yet! Sounds like your WW meeting went well and congrats on the .8 lb loss!! Wow, almost 30 lbs gone huh? Have you gone down many sizes yet? I am so proud of all you have accomplished so far!
Mel, sorry to hear about the ear ache. How awful. How is the pregnancy going? I'm sure you are more than ready to hold your little one in your arms now. You are getting so close!
Misty, how many weeks are you now? Now that Tanner is here time is flying and both you and Mel will have your baby's in no time at all. What a wonderful time we are all in right now.
Well, today is day 1 of my diet and exercise plan. I am really excited about it. And I promise ladies I will not over do it. I am taking it easy and not doing any sort of crash diet or anything. Just cutting cals and getting some exercise in. So far I have had a special K breakfast bar and lots of water. I'm about to dig my recumbant bike out of the closet and I hope to get in at least 10 minutes on it today. (see? I'm taking it nice and easy) I also would like to find my dumbells and do some toning on my arms and back too. But I have no clue where I stored them. Hmmm... but anyway. I plan on having either a lean pocket for lunch or a slimfast meal bar and then something nutritious and filling for dinner. Oh, Ginny? Was it you that made a soup while you were first on WW? It had 0 points?? If so, can I have the recipe? Maybe it will help me stick to my plan and not over do it on cals. And if you know any other good recipes that are low in cals please feel free to send them my way ok?
Well, I need to get off here and work on getting that bike out. I'll chat with you all later!! Let's have a great OP day!!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:33 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Melissa, Glad to hear the swimmimg is going well for you - It's really important right now for you to do many things that make YOU feel good.....Ginny, My FIL drives school bus as well so my children just ride with gramps every day. He and his boss would really like me to get licensed, but I'm not sure yet. MY youngest ds will start 4 y/o kdg. in '04 so maybe then!? Great job on both your exercising and at WI. I've never attended a WW meeting, bit it sounds as though it was very interesting. My heart goes out to you my dh is crabola too!!....Karen, Put your feet up and relax a bit. Preparing for surgery can be so demanding in itself. I'm really glad to hear your feeling better emotional......Spryng, Men, what do they know? Did the insentive clod think that Tanner was 2 yrs. old too? Way to laugh it off sweety, just treat yourself healthy and with a lot of tenderness. New mothers are all beautiful.....As for me, I had a nurture meeting at church last night to finalise VBS and Rally Day for Sun.School and I decided to ride my bike to church. Round trip it was almost 11 miles so I have surpassed one goal for this month plus the exercise is paying off, because I've dropped 2# so far in July! Things are going great and I thank you all for letting me share in your lives the companionship makes losing a lot easier.

Kristi

Update : WAlked 3 miles while children attended summer reading program. They had a blast - an older girl from town dressed as a clown and made all the children balloon animals and toys of their choice. Very talented since she's about 7th grade! Ds and Dd have ball practice starting at 5:30. I plan to swim for 30 min. during it and then watch the last 40 min. or so.

GM 40 / MW 32 / MTG 8
BGM 24 / MB 26!! / BMTG 0

Last edited by lovnmom; 07-16-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #23  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!
This is going to be short, as I have some errands to run this morning.......

Spryng- As I am going out soon, I'll get out my WW recipe for veggie soup later. But if you want to try it sans recipe- it was basically to brown (actually saute) a small onion in a pan (use pam instead of oil). Then add some garlic- 2 cans of broth (lowsalt/no fat) and about a cup of each- diced carrots, yellow squash, green beans, you can add tomato.....really whatever veggie as long as it is not one of the higher point ones (such as peas or lima beans, corn.......those with a higher carb level). I usually added some basil and garlic. If you like a "thick" soup- puree it so that it becomes like a milkshake in consistency.
I'll put the real recipe on later. Good for you.........sounds like a nice reasonable start to weight loss for you post pregnancy time!
Hope that you found those dumbbells too.

Kristi- great job with all that excercising!! And exceeding your biking goal too! Congrats on the 2# loss in July- are you trying to make any spedific goal of weight loss by the end of the month? As far as driving a big yellow limo- one great thing about it is that you are most definately on you kids schedule.....and I never have to worry about getting a sitter on snow days! The summer off is great too......and here in NY there are some benefits that go with the job. I am not entitled to most of them because my route is one of the shorter ones.....but I am not interested in working 6-7 hours a day. Yes it is a HUGE responsibility...but I love the kids. And there is nothing better than driving an empty school bus. The peacefulness of it is astounding. (yes, I am a sickola!). But then we live in a fairly rural area and my route had me driving thru farm land- the visibility sitting up so high was great.

Ok, enough about me........ and my short post. Gotta go. I did get a short walk in (30 minutes). Hope to get more in later.
Off to buy baskeball shoes!!
Ginny
Old 07-17-2003, 01:49 PM   #24  

Good morning all!!
Well I did it!! Day 1 of my diet went GREAT!! I'm so glad. I did get my recumbant bike out but haven't got on it yet. Just getting it out of my DS's closet was a workout. I didn't realize how heavy it was. But now it's all set up in the living room and I plan to get on it after I'm done on the computer. Oh, I feel so good today. I just hope I can stick to my plan this time. I am the worst about breaking diet plans in the "heat of the moment". Especially eating out. But I don't plan to do that for awhile. I told my Dh in no uncertain terms that I am going to stick to my plan and he better support me. You all might remember that he is suppose to be dieting too to protect further damage to his back, yet he won't. No will power. Irritates me some but I can't make him eat right but I did tell him that I will be making healthy dinners and such and he will be eating them with the rest of us. He seems ok with that. Maybe baby steps will work with him.
But anyway, I seem to be on the right track finally and maybe in a couple more weeks I can get out of these maternity clothes and into my regular clothes again!! Oh the hope for small miracles!! lol
Well, I am off here now. I need to cut up and boil some cabbage for my snacks today. (believe it or not but I LOVE cabbage soup)
Talk to you all later!! Oh and Ginny I will be looking forward to that recipe. It sounds good already!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #25  
burned out bus driver

HI- Just be ol' blabber puss again!!!

Spryng- gosh, you really took our comments to heart, didn't you?
When you lock in on dieting you really do! Sounds like you are off to an awesome start. Great ! Now you'll find out how feeble my mind is (by all the stuff I messed up with the recipe). But the soup is great- especially when you are hungry and "out of points" for the day.

Garden Vegetable Soup
2/3 c sliced carrot
1/2 c diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 c fat free broth (beef, chicken or veggie)
1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage (you love that stuff!)
1/2 c green beans
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c zucchini

1. In a large saucepan, sprayed with Pam, saute the carrot, onion and garlic over low heat until softened- about 5 minutes.

2. Add broth, cabbaage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer covered, 15 minutes or until the beans are tender.

3.Stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes until hot. Makes 4, 1 cup servings.
Per serving- 42 calories, 0 fat, 0 saturated fat, 0 cholesterol, 63 mg salt, 2.4 g fiber, 3 g protein, 41 mg calcium.

I freeze the stuff in 1 cup servings (old yogurt containers work great!) and then I am ready when I need something..

Another goodie (and I am guessing on the recipe, but can't be far off) is taking 1 whole chocolate graham cracker - exactly as it comes out of the box. Break it in half (now 2 squares) and spread that with 2 tablespoons of fat free cool whip. Make a bunch and freeze them in zip lock bags. Just one point per sandwich......cures that miserable sweet/ chocolate craving and- well to me comes awfully close to an ice cream sandwich- minus the calories and fat!!!! One point per sandwich. (beware, the kids like these too..........)

I have an awesome, awesome recipe for stir fried green beans- 1 point (I think) per serving- and everyone, even Ds who hates veggies eats it!!!! It is high on salt but tastes great. I make extra and will have the leftover for lunch the next day.
Beware- big time of Chinese food!!! I just read on WW online that one normal serving of General Tsao's chicken has a whopping 1,600 calories!!!!!!!! Heck with how many points!!
Try Dotties weight loss (you will have to search the net for it)-she is not WW approved or authorized by WW but has point values for most restaurant chains. And I know that you are not on WW- but armed with the knowledge that your point range for the day (at your current weight) would be around 20- 25 points- well, if you see that the dinner you want to order is 27 points- you know that you either have to cut the portion in half and behave the rest of the day OR find something with less points!
Beware, beware of salads........even the ones that sound healthy are sometimes high in points. For example, at Chillis- I have found that the guiltless gourmet chicken sandwich (11 points for a filling meal) is far better than all of their salads- most of which are up in the high teens for points.

Ok, Have I bored you enough???? I'm gonna go try to sneak in another walk.........Dh fell asleep on the couch. I want to get that lousy 0.8# off this week to break 30 #s lost. Have a great nite!
Ginny
Old 07-17-2003, 11:13 PM   #26  

Thanks Ginny for posting that recipe for me!! It sounds really great. And the chocolate gram cracker with whipped cream sounds yummy too. Do you need to thaw it out or eat it frozen? Those Light Fudge Bars I have are only 1 point too. They have 35 calories in them and are made with splenda (blue bunny brand) they are delicious.
Did you get in your 2nd walk? How motivated you are to hit the 30lb mark!! I hope you get it.
My day has went quite well. I slept till noon today which makes me happy lol then for lunch I had a slim fast meal bar, made up my cabbage soup and had a bowl of that with a lean pocket for dinner, then another bowl of soup as a snack before I go to bed. And water water water. I need to get back to drinking 8+ glasses a day again but I'm getting there. I have a 16 oz bottle I am keeping filled to try and meet my quota. Oh and I got on my recumbant bike. I didn't get 10 minutes in... more like 5, but at least it is a start. I forgot how well it works out my legs and arms. I was so tired after just the 5 minutes. Tomorrow I will aim for 10 minutes. But anway... this is day 2 of my diet and tonight I am feeling proud of myself for sticking with it but at the same time I am wanting a big mac! Cravings are the worst. But I am going to bed to forget the craving so I don't break my diet. I'm hoping to see a good loss come tuesday at my WI. Speaking of Wi, jackie how did yours go today?? How was your meeting?
Well, I guess I should get off here and into the bed. I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening. xoxo
Old 07-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #27  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!
Just came online to play with the computer........we just switched to high speed internet and cable TV thru the same company.....so I am getting used to that.

Spryng- Sounds like you are doing great!!!! Good for you getting some excercise time in. What is the recipe for the light fudge bars all about??? Sounds interesting. Glad too that you got some extra sleep.....I did the same and did not get a walk in yet today. But I did get the additional walk in last nite. BTW, the chocolate graham sandwiches are eaten frozen- and they remind me of ice cream sandwiches. Good for those chocolate cravings!!!!!

Well, I gotta scoot......I want to paint the kitchen ceiling. Have a great day!
Ginny
Old 07-18-2003, 11:26 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies, Ginny, I so enjoy your "short " posts and I don't think there's anything sickola about enjoying driving alone ---ahhhhh alone time anywhere is so nice Great job getting your walks in and thanks for the graham cracker recipe it sounds yummy! Another friend of mine enjoys muffins made from an angel food cake mix and a large can of crushed pinapple. Just the 2 ing. and bake in muffin cups, I think she said they're 1 point also. I haven't tried them yet, but they sound good too......Spryng, WTG getting started, you put most post partem mommies to shame. You've even taken on the challenge of getting dh on the right track....at least you can help him control what he eats at home and that's a great start for him too. How's Tanner sleeping for you? I noticed you said you were able to sleep until noon! That's awesome, unless of course you were up 1/2 the night with your little one! I'm kind of a dope, is the bike your talking about one of those that the handle bars move too? I've never tried one. Right now I'm very focused on finding ways to exercise when winter hits. Too often I end up not exercising at all for like 3 months and then that's when I pack on the pounds and have to start all over again! If you ladies have ideas please share now so I can get my game plan set. .....As for me, no exercise yesterday, but I did have a date with dh andI needed that much more. We ate mexican - after my plate came I realized I'd ordered ok, but coul've done better, but it was all good and I got to wear a new outfit I'd bought 3 weeks agao allready. It's a denim spanish dance skirt paired with a bright red peasant top that lased up the front. A little more "eye catching" than I normally would wear. Face it I normally wear sweats and t-shirts, but I decided this year I was going to make more of an effort when dh and I go out alone - needless to say, he was very appreciative and that was all good too! Plan to walk 3 or 4 miles today and stay OP with food. Have a great day all!

Kristi
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM   #29  

Good afternoon all!!
Kristi you are so kind!! Yes I am trying to stay on track and help DH do it also. Oh and Tanner doesn't sleep great at night but not too bad for a 3 wk old baby. My Dh and I alternate nights. I get up with him all night one night and then get to sleep until noon the next day and then Dh gets him the next night, etc. That way we are not sleep deprived. The kids usually get up around 8:30 am so one of us is always up with them. Tanner is fitting in nicely with our schedules. As for night time. He went his longest last night with a four hour stretch before he needed to be fed. He normally gets up every 2 - 2 1/2 hours for a feeding. But last night was DH's night, hopefully he will sleep as long with me tonight. But I don't really mind at all. I am truly enjoying him being an infant. I want to cherish every moment instead of trying to get him to milestones faster. Oh and yes, my recumbant bike has handles that work out your arms and back. I bought it at walmart and I think it is worth every penny. It's one of the more affordable exericse equipment and I just love it. I would like to buy a nice treadmill someday too. Maybe next year.
Well anyway...Oh, Ginny. It's not a recipe for the fudge bars. I bought them at the store. They are the Blue Bunny brand and only have 1 point per bar. Very yummy.
Well, today is going ok. I had chicken soup for lunch so far and am trying to drink more water today. I dont' feel very hungry today so I guess my stomach is finally shrinking. That's a good thing. Makes sticking to my plan a little easier.
I guess I need to get off here. Dh is feeding Tanner so I snuck in here to post. Better go relieve him lol.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:49 PM   #30  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Just a short hello.......Kristi- those muffins sound great- I think I will give them a try. I can wing it with the oven temp and time. Thanks for the idea! Great that you and Dh got out a bit. So rejuvenating for the relationship. I like your "racy" outfit. Hey, we have all lived in sweats at one time or another. As far as the winter months go- I use a "walk aerobics" tape or two, by Leslie Sansone. I still try to get out and really walk, but use that if it is just too snowy or cold. I don't know how bad it gets up in Wisconsin.

Spryng- those fudge bars sound great.......never seen them here in NY though. Glad that Tanner is fitting in well with your family schedule. Hey, that is so good that your stomach is shrinking!!!!
You are something..... (at this point with Ds and youngest Dd I was still in sweats.......and waddling!)
Gotta go finish the painting (I had to go to the Dr, and was forced to stop). Only a few passes with the roller to go.
See ya later!!!!
Ginny
Closed Thread