3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #46
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 169/169/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical View Post
I was one of the posters who said that I cannot last the morning without breakfast but to me, breakfast means a cup of coffee and a banana, nothing else. I have never had a "full" breakfast as such at home.
Same here. I'm typically a breakfast eater, but my breakfast is tea or diet hot cocoa with a piece of fruit or light yogurt. 150 calories max. I need to have something, but I'm not especially hungry before noon.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #47

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

I use to be sick if I don't have my toast with peanut butter and jam and coffee with cream. Then I read the book "6 weeks to OMG" and I followed the advice of training your body not having breakfast , but only have black coffee, as it suppose to help with burning fat.

It took me two weeks to re set my eating "clock" and now I am just not hungry at all before noon and I like it. I even love my black coffee now more then cappuccino.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #48

Default Just checking in...

Okay so I'm on day 3 (consecutive day 3...I did 3 days last week too) and my energy levels are still great. I didn't get my usual afternoon crash Monday or Tuesday. Starting the day with a hot tea, I drink tea and water throughout the day and have not felt hungry until about 2-3pm (I take late lunches as my work day starts at 11). Dinners were still pretty light and i still didn't feel like stuffing myself.

My hardest thing is that breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day. I love breakfast foods. i've been eating breakfast foods at lunch time.

I do hate the idea of skipping meals as it obviously might be dangerous if taken too far. I don't want to seem like I'm just skipping meals blindly. I do feel like i'm getting more in tune with my body when it comes to eating and what my mind wants vs what my body wants...if that makes sense... I'm still thinking I'll keep it up for a bit, at least while I'm having positive side effects. I've been searching the net for personal stories but still don't see many. I'll check in again at some point. I'm thinking weekends should be free? at least saturday? maybe?

Last edited by BrittanyAB123; 01-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
BrittanyAB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #49

S/C/G: 186/176/140-115

Height: 5'2.5 and still growing.

Sometimes I'll just skip breakfast, but on the days I don't eat breakfast if I don't leave the house and go for a run when I get home, I have a huge urge to binge. So I try to eat something, today I had a low fat cheese stick and the day before that I had apple slices. I try to eat, even its just a little something.
JustcallmeRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #50
Less is more.

S/C/G: 264/246/170

Height: 5'5"

Depends on the person and circumstances. When I wake up i am (normally) NOT hungry; however, I eat breakfast because I know that if I don't I will be starving 2 hours before lunch hour and I will be cranky and have a headache and make terrible food choices. So I will eat breakfast even if I'm not hungry, normally something small, maybe just over 200 cals (depending)
If I have a small dinner I will wake up hungry and will have a more normal breakfast. (eggs, potatoes and so on) I try to stick to this because I would much rather have my largest meal of the day at the start of my day, not 2 hours before I go to bed.

Long term goal- revised after baby

240 goal - 02/17/10
Had a baby- 06-01-12 gained 46 pounds.
234 lost baby weight 3-21-13
220 goal = half way!
218 goal = Lowest ever weight!
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 AM   #51

S/C/G: 360/221/160

Height: 5' 6"

I don't normally eat breakfast, but I have a friend on 3FC who is a doctor and he posted this today.

"Larry - what time do you wake up in the morning? Breakfast is important in weight loss. Besides the obvious curbing of hunger with the risk of overheating later keeping your metabolic furnace burning is important. Ie if your body is constantly moving food through the intestines, digesting and processing, it burns energy... = higher basal metabolic calorie burning = more "calories out". I would add some breakfast if I were you."

This makes sense to me so I am going to try consistently eating breakfast for a while and see how my weight loss is affected. We will call it a scientific experiment of sorts.

Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #52
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
I don't normally eat breakfast, but I have a friend on 3FC who is a doctor and he posted this today.

"Larry - what time do you wake up in the morning? Breakfast is important in weight loss. Besides the obvious curbing of hunger with the risk of overheating later keeping your metabolic furnace burning is important. Ie if your body is constantly moving food through the intestines, digesting and processing, it burns energy... = higher basal metabolic calorie burning = more "calories out". I would add some breakfast if I were you."

This makes sense to me so I am going to try consistently eating breakfast for a while and see how my weight loss is affected. We will call it a scientific experiment of sorts.
Your doctor friend is completely wrong about breakfast increasing calories out. Given two people who ate the same exact foods but 1 spread it out through 10 meals in a day and another who ate two meals the number of calories utilized would be almost exactly the same with no relevance one way or another. A bigger meal just takes longer to digest.

As for hunger, this is highly dependent to the individual.

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Your doctor friend is completely wrong about breakfast increasing calories out. Given two people who ate the same exact foods but 1 spread it out through 10 meals in a day and another who ate two meals the number of calories utilized would be almost exactly the same with no relevance one way or another. A bigger meal just takes longer to digest.

As for hunger, this is highly dependent to the individual.
John, After my experiment I will see which is best for me

Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #54
Embracing the suck

Quote:
John, After my experiment I will see which is best for me
Of course. I'm not questioning what might be a better way for one person or another when it comes to subjective factors.

I'm just posting for the benefit of those people who might read your post and think that because a doctor said it then it must be true that eating breakfast causes one to burn more calories due to digestion.

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #55

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

In my experience doctors say all kinds of things that have never worked for me.

"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsession and awareness cannot coexist." - Geneen Roth
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #56

Why not Google "breakfast metabolism" then start reading, researching and make up your own mind about breakfast. Keep in mind the reference source. The source needs to be a nationally recognized reliable source of information because there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I have found over the years that discussing breakfast on 3FC is similar to discussing religion or politics. Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #57

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Why not Google "breakfast metabolism" then start reading, researching and make up your own mind about breakfast. Keep in mind the reference source. The source needs to be a nationally recognized reliable source of information because there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I have found over the years that discussing breakfast on 3FC is similar to discussing religion or politics. Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right.
No, that's not true. I don't think anyone here said they were right. In fact people shared what works for them and what doesn't work for them. Most people here have said "find what works for you." Nobody has said "this is right" or "that's wrong" at all. One has to make up their own mind.

"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsession and awareness cannot coexist." - Geneen Roth
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
No, that's not true. I don't think anyone here said they were right. In fact people shared what works for them and what doesn't work for them. Most people here have said "find what works for you." Nobody has said "this is right" or "that's wrong" at all. One has to make up their own mind.
Ah then we agree. I never said that anyone here said they were right and I suggested they make up their own minds.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #59
Embracing the suck

Larry -

All I am saying is that eating breakfast does not speed up your metabolism.

This has been studied quite a bit. Many meals vs few meals. Breakfast vs fasting.

Digestion takes calories yes but if you eat 1000 calories spread out over 3 meals or 1000 calories in 1 meal you will burn the same number of calories due to digestion.

You can google a lot of things and come up with a lot of false information. It's not a question of who is right and who is wrong. It is a question of fact vs fiction. Truth vs myth.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #60
Little One

S/C/G: 218/189/140

Height: 5'4'

I know that for me personally I find that when I don't eat breakfast my eating seems to be out of control for the rest of the day. So for that reason alone I know that eating breakfast everyday is a must for me.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though it may be necessary, from time to time, to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy
SweetCurves32 is offline   Reply With Quote