Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/235/180

Height: 5'3"

Question Motivation?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I've heard that many people have been successful at losing weight when they receive moral support (Hence, the 3FC forum). What does everyone do to motivate themselves to get moving? I know I need to, but the biggest hurdle in my day is to force myself to actually do the goal I gave myself. Today, I'm supposed to jump rope for an hour. But, I feel like I am ignoring it. How do you get through those hurdles?
KDavidson828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome!

Maybe try promising yourself to jump rope for 10 minutes to start. That's it. You get a BIG, GIANT A+ and smiley face sticker for ten minutes. Anything else is a bonus.

Surely you can give yourself 10 minutes? (often what happens is you go farther, but you don't HAVE to!)

Facing an hour right out of the gate is hard on the mind, it really is. Try building up to such an enormous feat (I can't even IMAGINE jumping rope for an hour, I'd barf my guts out).

It gets easier when you've established the workout habit, right at the beginning, it is tough!

Edited to add: I really think people often over reach when starting a new exercise program, that's why so many up and quit so soon. It is freaking overwhelming to jump into a major routine cold turkey. It works for some, but I think for alot of people it backfires.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 11-22-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

First, only do activities you enjoy. Forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy is only going to make you hate it more...and eventually stop doing it.

But my motivation? My kid. I just look at her. She found me thisclose to death in August of 2012. It will NOT happen again. So, whenever I think of giving up, I look at her and realize there are greater things out there worth living for then the lazy moment on my couch or the bag of chips in the pantry. You can do it. I promise you this.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #4  

That's a better idea, lol. I would probably throw up, too. I would still like the hour though. So maybe 10 minutes at 6 different times of the day?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post

First, only do activities you enjoy. Forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy is only going to make you hate it more...and eventually stop doing it.

But my motivation? My kid. I just look at her. She found me thisclose to death in August of 2012. It will NOT happen again. So, whenever I think of giving up, I look at her and realize there are greater things out there worth living for then the lazy moment on my couch or the bag of chips in the pantry. You can do it. I promise you this.
My kids are a great motivation too <3 I just think about the condition I'm in now and think to myself "I'm so tired all the time, I wish they could have me at my best so I can play with them too"

Jump rope is something I used to do as a kid, and I do enjoy it...except for when everything is flopping all over the place. I remember something I did as a kid that I LOVED...it was called "Skip-It"...I wish I still had one.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I second Mrs. Snark, above. 10 minutes, that's it. If your really want to, then tomorrow, do 2 10 min sessions. Keep adding on slowly until you reach the level you want to be. Don't overwhelm yourself and create difficult hurdles. Create easy hurdles and accomplish them.

Honestly, my motivation ebbs and flows. It is impossible for me to maintain a sustained state of motivation for what will be the rest of my life. It's too exhausting to think about. I try to think about today, and what I can commit to today, then cross it off my list.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/146/135

Height: 5'8.5''

When I start getting into a healthier lifestyle change, I always dread exercise. Now after dinner everyday, I just get the urge to exercise. I think something really really important is doing something you don't mind/enjoy. For example, I have a lot more fun when I am dancing or jogging in place and watching a show or listening to music. You have to make the activity you are doing as fun and engaging as possible. There are some workouts I would never even considering putting into my routine, like running on a treadmill, because I already know that sounds like torture to me! I think the key is finding things that you like and making them kind of fun. I also motivate myself by thinking of how good I am going to look if I exercise everyday and how much my mood improves from exercise.
truehappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'8

For me, the thing that motivates me the most is seeing myself in pictures :/
I don't want to be like that anymore.

It's hard to get up and go exercise but what I do is only allow myself to watch one of my favourite TV shows if I'm working out eg. I'll watch one episode while I use the exercise bike.

I'm counting calories so I also want to see calories burned pop up by the end of the day!

I bought a polar watch and heart rate monitor, I leave it under the TV so it's right there reminding me.
Paisleymama is offline   Reply With Quote