Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #16  
diamondgeog

Chocolate almond milk is very good. I was using that primarily to take phytoplankton. But it taste pretty chocolate with not too much bad stuff. As others have mentioned dark chocolate has a lot of health benefits touted about it.

I also have found for me after going a couple of months without sweets and lowering carbs, chocolate or any other carb doesn't have as much hold over me. When I do have it, just go right back to not having the vast majority of time.

Now my real trigger food for carbs had been potato chips. Those 5.5 ounce bags I could down in one go, easy. I've avoided them the past 6 months. I have had fries and done ok with them. I found carbs/sweets have lost whatever extra addictive quality they once had for me. But I had to stay away a lot for a couple of months to get to that point.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

This has been one of my biggest struggles. I can pretty much leave everything aside except for chocolate :-D. But then I did some research and read a few books on migraine headaches (which I have suffered from badly since college) and discovered that chocolate is one of the biggest migraine triggers for most migraine sufferers. So that kind of made the decision for me. I'm also vegan, so white chocolate (which is not a migraine trigger for most) is out since it has milk in it.

But I did find a great cocoa powder called Wonderslim which is 99.7% caffeine free (don't ask me how they do it). I was skeptical at first but I started making hot cocoa with it and it doesn't trigger migraines for me at all. It is also lower in fat than most cocoa powders so that might be an option. You can find the cocoa on Amazon and other online stores.

Here's how I make my cocoa:

3/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk (since I'm vegan, I use soy milk)
sweetener equal to 1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp Wonderslim

It has really cut down my chocolate cravings.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #18  

S/C/G: see ticker (in kg)

Height: 6' 3"

I must say chocolate is my absolute rival, the only way i can stop my self from eating chocolate is just to not be around it. Whenever i buy myself a block of small chocolate expecting i would split it over days with one serving a day i end up bending my whole days calories so i can eat the whole block.

I am not looking forward to this holiday season, i have a feeling that to avoid the temptation i'm going to be sitting away from the food a lot.
ShrinkingStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #19  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm low carb, whole foods. I do pure and high quality dark chocolate (been on a Michel Cluizel kick lately, and Cafe-Tasse, Francois Pralus origin bars, etc) in small amount of 8-20 grams almost daily. That scratches the itch for me, is entirely on plan, keeps me from feeling mentally deprived, and also more cost effective (such chocolates aren't cheap!).

It depends on your plan and habits - I've been on plan without much issue for half a decade, and when I have the rare off plan eating I can get back on the horse without much adieu. I'm not generally a binger, though I do overeat if I don't log food and sometimes even when I do. I know my triggers. I know my limits. I know how to get on track and avoid disaster.

If you don't, approach something like chocolate with respect and caution. But it can absolutely have a regular and healthy place in a diet if you control quantity, and a rare but special spot if you have trouble with limiting yourself.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #20  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I used to have a terrible addiction to chocolate and would eat a block a day. I'm completely the opposite now. I only 2 pieces of dark chocolate every 2 or 3 days. I did it by buying the already portioned chocolate like the 'fun size' mars bars and limited it to twice a day and then once a day. Then I switched to dark chocolate or vegan chocolate and ate that in small portions. Then it switched to having only 2 pieces of chocolate at a time per day and then 2 pieces every few days. I suppose one thing that really helped is that I seem to have lactose intolerance and can't actually eat ordinary chocolate.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #21  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

I couldn't agree more with all those temptations at the stores! My recommendation is allow small bites .. like a trial/sample version. I like to go to Costco and just get the sample sometimes, just for a taste,my brain registers it and off I go! I know not everyone will agree with this but sometimes being too restrictive can lead to much worse snags.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #22  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Something that helps me is fixing a cup of low-calorie, no-sugar-added hot cocoa. It's amazingly satisfying for the small amount of calories you get from it.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #23  
DolphinGirl

S/C/G: 200

Height: 5-10

I agree with GardenJoy, "I allow myself dark chocolate with only naturally ingredients."

Just getting the highest percent Cocoa chocolate you can still enjoy and has natural ingredients. I pretty much eat all the 70 percent cocoa chocolate I want and it is actually a huge help for me in maintaining my weight.
zihlman is offline   Reply With Quote