Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #1  

Default Anyone really struggle during the cold months with weightloss?

I've done my googling. And it seems its not unusual to have trouble with overeating during the fall/winter months. Some people think its environmental (holidays, cookie baking, heavy stews) others think we are programed as the temps drop to eat more.

I am part of the second camp. After a week without power last year thanks to Sandy, and dropping temps, myself and others in our area that I talked to saw a dramatic increase in appetite. It was freezing all the time, we were bundled up 24/7 and eating all. the. time.

Anyway, after looknig back over my life, and what I can remember of my weightloss struggle. I have never succeeded at decent weight loss during the fall and winter. It was more of a battle not to gain from about Oct thru March, when we just start getting some mild weather days. During the cold months, I am constantly going off plan, over eating, snacking on "winter foods" or heavier foods. I do enjoy baking this time of year, and I try to keep it healthier or I bake it, have a little then give the rest away (which my husband's coworkers love!)

Does anyone else struggle this time of year? I mean really struggle. I have always "started diets" in the spring. I always lose steadily, eat less and move more in the warmer months...anyone else? At this time I am just struggling not to gain any weight. I keep exercising, but I can't out exercise poor eating, as we know
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

I'm just struggling in general right now to be honest! Warm or Cold Granted I'm used to the cold.. being from Saskatchewan
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #3  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I think making good food choices can be so much easier in warmer weather. Salads, shakes, yogurt - all great, but not incredibly attractive to me when it's chilly out. I went through last winter feeling like I was failing for having abandoned some routines that worked for me -- green/berry/kefir smoothies, and chocolate PB whey shakes - and it took me a long time to realize I was beating myself up for no good reason. Of course I don't want a cold shake when it's cold and wet out.

I'm trying to be more proactive this fall and really embrace seasonal change instead of fighting it. I think we can adjust our food habits with the weather without resigning ourselves to bad choices. I'm putting almost all my new recipe energy into hearty stews and soups right now - even if I want a second and third bowl, something like a sensibly-made butternut squash soup is piddly in calories. And hot tea! Tea has returned with a vengeance to my diet. So much tea.

I definitely struggle with moving around enough in cold weather, though. I went through a phase of "how low can I keep the thermostat?" (it's a constant game to see how low our energy bills can go), but I realized shaving off one or two degrees isn't actually helping life if it means I'm too cold to do anything but congeal to the couch. My body definitely shuts down when it feels cold.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I actually struggle in the summer as well ~ too many cookouts, burgers and hot dogs everywhere you go!! Beer too!

DH and I play the thermostat game as well! In the winter I don't care what's in me as long as it's warm.

Last edited by Inkrid; 10-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

The winter is so easy for me because it's full of comfort foods that are naturally low in carbs and calories - soups, stews, chilis! Mmm
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm super cold in the winter months with losing weight, but that's no excuse for meto go off plan or indulge. It is just something managed by hot tea, broth, our fireplace, and extra socks
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I am very weather and temperature sensitive in regards to pain, illness, hunger, and energy level.

In cold weather (especially if it's also damp), I want to eat more and move less. I do struggle more to resist or modify those urges, instincts or whatever.

Hot, low-calorie liquids help tremendously, I just have to always keep in mind that those options are available - and use them.

Normally summer is much easier. Our farmers markets are quite inexpensive and I love all the summer produce. Once ther farmers markets close in late October or early November, it gets a bit more challenging (especially as hunger and hybernation-mode starts ramping up for winter).

Getting to and dressing for the gym is also a much bigger pain, bit it is what it is.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I feel the cold all the time - there's no way for me to avoid it, but on the flip side I'm never one to complain about the heat.

That being said, I tend to find it easier to stay on track in winter because my body wants to go into hibernation mode - cold temps, dark skies, rainy weather, and short days with little daylight all combine to make me want to sleep for days and kill my appetite. I personally find it more difficult in summer because it's time for BBQs and cold beer.

Exercise is ok for me all year round as I can cycle outside in warm weather or I've got an exercise bike I can use indoors in winter which helps keep me warm.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

From around Labor Day until about now, is my struggle. That transition from summer to fall, with winter on the horizon!

Some latent, caveman thing says I need to fatten up for the cold weather.

Soup is a God send. My latest fave. Chicken broth, a bit of buffalo wing seasoning and thicken with a bit of corn starch. Yum!

I get through it with all kinds of soups, mostly invented in by me.

Then from mid Feb, to mid April, Dark, cold, crappy, sick of the whole mess, of dark and cold and crappy. Thankfully our local gym does a get fit stay fit challenge, that starts on New years day and lasts until the end of March, the perfect kick in the butt.

The worst thing about winter for me is my excema kicks into high gear and my back breaks out and itches like crazy! I'm convinced it's a vitamin D issue, since as soon as days get longer and I get more sunshine, it disappears!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote