Mid cycle bloating?

• Does anyone else have trouble with mid cycle (ovulation) bloat? After having kids I started having painful ovulation with cramps and bloating. I've had tests and ultrasounds done and the drs say everything is fine. Well here we are mid month again, my back hurts, I've got cramps and I feel 6 mos pregnant. I gain more during this time then I do with my actual period, at least 3-5 lbs most months. It's frustrating because I get over TOM bloat for a day or 2 and then here comes ovulation bloating. (I'm not on any sort of birth control, dh got the snippity snip after #4).
  • I usually get a day or two mid cycle where I get the cramping, bloating and irritability. I also have to white-knuckle through all the cravings for high fat, high carb foods...those are not a fun couple of days. I'm not on birth control at the moment, and I think that probably has an impact on it. I'll gain usually about 2lbs in water weight that come off a couple days later as long as I stay on plan.

Some things I've found that help alleviate some of the icky feelings (for me, of course...it may or may not work for you) is to drink lots of water, eat foods high in protein (I will usually opt for red meat around this time) and try to minimize the amount of salt I use (it just makes me retain water even more). I also try and find something relaxing to do, and take it easy on the exercise.
  • Yes! I can usually count on 2-3lbs of water weight during ovulation time. It took me several months before I connected the dots and realized it was hormones. Gah, now we have two times during the month to worry about water weight

Glad to know I'm not the only one!