Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #46  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
There will be some water retention, no good way around that though I find I have many less issues with this eating the way I do now (low carb, essentially no sugar or starch) than when I ate a more standard American diet. Plenty of water can also help, but if you're prone to it you're prone to it. Bummer
Oops sorry Arctic Mama, we must have been posting at the same time as I didn't see this earlier. I haven't had it happen since I started losing weight (knock on wood!). It would happen on long car rides too but hasn't with all my recent hospital visits (and those are about 90-120 minute rides), hopefully it won't on the flight either. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
When I saw her refer to "Fat Elvis", I couldn't help but get an image in my head of Elvis Presley in his later years. . .
I might not be gorgeous or beautiful but I can assure you that I don't look like THAT!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #47  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I might not be gorgeous or beautiful but I can assure you that I don't look like THAT!!
Of course not! Nobody said you were bloated, jumpsuit-wearing Elvis. You're early days, "Jailhouse Rock" era Elvis.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #48  

Quote:
Of course not! Nobody said you were bloated, jumpsuit-wearing Elvis. You're early days, "Jailhouse Rock" era Elvis.
Is this where I am supposed to say "thank you"??

You are so funny, Joe!

I cracked up earlier thinking about my husband coming home from work a little earlier. Imagine if he came in the house and I was measuring my butt in the mirror? He might have turned around and left, he might not want to know what goes on here when he's not home. Oh the stories my Elvis could tell!!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #49  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Huzzah!
Skinny Elvis!
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #50  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
(For a while, before I knew that Elvis was your dog's name, I thought you were an elderly woman who was a fan of Elvis Presley!)!
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #51  

Quote:
(For a while, before I knew that Elvis was your dog's name, I thought you were an elderly woman who was a fan of Elvis Presley!)
Superhero's post just reminded me----what about me made you think I was ELDERLY?!?!??
Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #52  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Elvis... You are going to be pleasantly surprised and have a major NSV with your trip! I got down to 260 5 years ago , flew Spirit (very tight seats) and asked the flight attendant for a seat extender and they have them on the plane for people.. . But even at that weight (and I am WAY BOTTOM HEAVY) I fit Truly... having the arm up between me and the person next to me (he was fine with that) made it very comfy... You with your weight shoot, you could add a bumper to each side of the arm and still have room... But please don't worry.. .. if you feel like it will ease your mind as as you enter the plane - that you might need an extender... the flight attendants really are nice people on planes, just ask them for the use of one....... I know that we hear horror stories as some flight attendants are rude but they might have just got off a long flight with screaming kids)

You will be surprised by the seat I am POSSITIVE !!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 05-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Since I AM elderly, I can explain...Elvis Presley was first popular when I was in about the 7th grade. I had the same thought; "Elvislover" must be about my age. LOL. Who knew Elvis was a dog?

I am flying next week. It will be the first time since I lost weight. I expect it to be uncomfortable, but I'll manage.

Have you planned a nice carry-on lunch for yourself? I always enjoy my homemade lunch, although it is sometimes difficult to figure out what the TSA will approve.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #54  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Since I AM elderly, I can explain...Elvis Presley was first popular when I was in about the 7th grade. I had the same thought; "Elvislover" must be about my age. LOL. Who knew Elvis was a dog?

I am flying next week. It will be the first time since I lost weight. I expect it to be uncomfortable, but I'll manage.

Have you planned a nice carry-on lunch for yourself? I always enjoy my homemade lunch, although it is sometimes difficult to figure out what the TSA will approve.
^ What she said! I was going to say middle-aged, but then I realized that at 43 -- I'M MIDDLE AGED - or close to it! And Elvis Presley was before my time. Technically, "elderly" is past middle aged, and as one approaches old age.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #55  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that Southwest was implementing a new policy in which it was changing the size of their seat belts to a smaller size to only accommodate passengers who weigh less than 195 pounds.
I'm sorry, but I cannot find evidence anywhere online of this. If you have it, can you please post it? I find that hard to believe given most men are easily 200 lbs.

I've flown a couple of times right around 200 and was just swimming in the seat compared to what it used to be like, and the tray went all the way down with room to spare.

Last edited by Vex; 05-18-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Elvislover You've already heard from everybody else, but let me chime in as I've been on and off about 10 flights in the last month.

At 195, you do not even have to think about it. (I know, because I maintained in the 190s until recently, *sniff* *sniff*)

At 275, I had to scooch my but hard against the seat and STRUGGLE to get it latched, but I did. At 263, I just took a one-stop coast to coast flight. For some reason that I can't begin to imagine, two of the four belts had plenty of slack, and the other two were extended all the way, but I didn't have to scooch my butt back.

I guess it mostly matters where you carry your weight, because I've never had trouble putting the arm rest down, but the seat belt is trouble (did anyone say big belly?) When I was up in the 280s and 290s I couldn't buckle it at all, and I did once fly without my seatbelt because I was too embarrassed to ask for an extender. I also used to avoid getting on an airplane unless it was absolutely necessary.

I gotta tell you that when I weighed in the 190s my favorite thing was getting on an airplane and nonchalantly buckling the seat belt as if it was no big deal. And it is one of my biggest motivators to get back there, since I travel a lot. Most of the time, I don't really notice how big I am, but sitting on a Southwest flight trying to make myself as small as possible so as not to bother my neighbor always makes me remember, yes UBER, 263 and 190 are VERY DIFFERENT experiences.

Enjoy your trip and definitely put the worry straight out of your mind!!!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I'm sorry, but I cannot find evidence anywhere online of this. If you have it, can you please post it? I find that hard to believe given most men are easily 200 lbs.
Yes, and I can also attest to the fact that I flew Southwest recently when I was still up in the 270s, and I fit, although another five pounds would have probably put me over the edge. But, again, it depends a lot where you carry your weight, so I don't think there could possibly be a strict weight cut off.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Obviously this was a popular thread yesterday and, as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. And just found out from reading this that I'm elderly. Hate to tell you all this, but when I'm in my 90s, I doubt if I think of myself as elderly!!!!!

Elvis, you are right -- this will be the trip of a thousand NSVs. So, for all of us who have been humiliated by an anorexic flight attendant, had to ask for an extender, had to raise the arm rest (or sat next to a dweeb who refused to do it), had to get to the airport over 2 hours early so we'd have rest time while walking half way to our destination just to get to the gates, please do the following.

After finding out that you can do all the things you're worried about, stand up and announce it to the plane. Or at least do it in your mind. Can you hear all of us clapping and cheering? Enjoy your trip.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #59  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post

I've flown a couple of times right around 200 and was just swimming in the seat compared to what it used to be like, and the tray went all the way down with room to spare.
Sorry!!! The "195 pound" policy was a joke for Elvis because she is currently at 196.4 pounds. I didn't think anybody would take it seriously! My apologies for the confusion!

Last edited by joefla70; 05-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Everybody knows Elvis ! He is a legend, you didn't have to be around in his heyday to know that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote