Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #16  

I'm so sorry, Dreamer, what an awful thing to experience. Rude people are everywhere, perched in their glass houses and throwing stones. I would have just stared at him with my mean face (but inside I would have been holding back the tears as best as I could).

I hope somehow this jerk inspires you to keep going and getting healthy for yourself. You were already on your way, he's just another obstacle who got in the way. Kick him to the curb and keep going!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I would have taken a baseball bat to his car door.

And if he didn't drive off. His headlights.

Then the windscreen...

Last edited by IanG; 05-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I would have taken a baseball bat to his car door.

And if he didn't drive off. His headlights.

Then the windscreen...
I COULD be mistaken...but I THINK that could be construed as assault with a deadly weapon...assault at the very least with intent to harm....there is another term for it...oh! ILLEGAL!

Still LOVE it though!

Last edited by zoesmom; 05-17-2013 at 12:14 PM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #19  
Trying to be in the 160s

9 times out of ten they drive off when you take the baseball bat out of your trunk!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #20  
Empress/Queen

Lol

Quote:
9 times out of ten they drive off when you take the baseball bat out of your trunk!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

From the way it was phrased, he probably meant it out of genuine curiosity/concern rather than trying to be rude, although i can totally see how it would make you feel bad. Recently, i ran into an acquaintance who i hadn't seen in a while, and i've gained weight. (This was at the gym and i was wearing a tank top). He said "good to see you, you're looking big, er i mean strong." I wanted to say yep i've gotten BIG, but instead i just took the compliment. He is not a rude person at all, so i honestly believe he meant STRONG, not FAT.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #22  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Nasty person! His pathetic comment is not worth one more second of your energy. I can guarantee that while you were at the gym, while you exercise indoors or out, there are people who are raising you up- even if they don't speak up and tell you. For every jerk out there that thinks or says something mean, there are tens more who look at you at the gym and think, "Rock on, girl!"

So, just keep on rockin' on, Dreamer!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall~ Confucius
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #23  

Wow---some people on this thread are much more generous than I am about this guy's comment. I don't give a hoot WHY he said it; the fact is that he should have kept his extremely rude comment to himself. He would have to be a complete hermit to be legitimately asking that question and not know that it was rude. Where is he living---under a rock? What a major jerk! What lack of manners!

I will never cease to be amazed at how freely people comment on others' appearance as long as it has to do with weight. Perhaps the pervasiveness of diets and fitness advertising in our culture has made some people think it is okay to comment on others' appearance. I'm sure that guy's appearance isn't perfect, yet I wonder how he would feel if someone yelled out to him, "Wow---you've gotten a few more wrinkles in the last year or so. What happened?" or "You're really losing some hair, aren't you? What happened?"

This kind of thing really bothers me, especially when it is men commenting to women. It's almost demeaning. I remember once when I was much younger (and by no means fat---just a little on the "healthy" side), I treated myself to an ice-cream in the mall. Some older man felt the need to comment, "Don't eat that: You'll get fat!" I just sheepishly looked down. Today, I would say, "That's really none of your business." I'm sick of rudeness!

Okay--rant over.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha2 View Post
. . . he might just be a random idiot
LOL!!! Love this one. He probably is, but I guess I always feel the need to "educate" people like this by letting them know in no uncertain terms that their behavior is unacceptable. Maybe if someone does that, he won't open his big mouth next time.

Last edited by lin43; 05-17-2013 at 12:57 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

Well that was completely out of line. That being said it doesn't sound like he was trying to be mean though, sounds like he is just ignorant. Some people don't understand that being overweight can feel embarrassing at times especially when people feel free to comment upon it. From the way he said it, it sounds to me like he's definitely seen you around for a while and was trying to start a conversation. Maybe he assumed you must be going through a rough patch of sorts and was offering an open ear. I don't think he would have followed his comment with "why" if he was just trying to insult you. Sometimes people misconstrue things because of their own insecurities.

Anyway, a little sharing of my own in case he was just being a jerk: long story short I was at the mall in the juniors section of a department store and these two teenage girls (who were both overweight) were snickering. Well one was saying stuff and laughing and the other one kept telling her to stop but she still seemed amused. I felt like she was making fun of me but then I convinced myself it was just my imagination. Then guess who I run into in the bathroom. When I was in the stall the one girl mooed and started laughing. When I came out of the stall I slammed the door, I slammed everything I could and looked her right in the eye. I could tell she was really nervous. I was going to say something but I didn't think it was necessary at that point and just walked out. Later on that day I got a parking ticket at Walmart for something stupid and I had a complete breakdown in my car for 30 minutes lol people must have thought I was insane.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #25  
Trying to be in the 160s

Am I seriously the only person that would get the bat?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #26  

Quote:
Am I seriously the only person that would get the bat?
If I hit every single stupid person I ran into....
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #27  
Trying to be in the 160s

Shouting something offensive from a car would feel a threat to my personal security. Especially if I was a woman.

So I took his door out...

Last edited by IanG; 05-17-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #28  

Quote:
Shouting something offensive from a car would feel a threat to my personal security. Especially as a woman.

So I took his door out...
OMG I'd want you on my jury!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #29  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I would not give some random person comments any credence...you were not even engaged in a conversation! Maybe the guy has Tourette's or recently been released after his eval!

Someone's opinion has to matter to me first...before I would ever allow myself to consider their point of view!
I think you were wise not to engage this person...every comment that is uttered out of a persons mouth does not warrant a response.
Scrape this memory of his words off the bottom of your shoe ..just like Dog Poop!
You have alot of courage going back to the same Gym as before
Good Luck,Roo2

Last edited by Roo2; 05-17-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 201.6/137/135

Height: 5'2"

Hugs
Charin is offline   Reply With Quote