Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #1  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

Question I can't eat this !!!

So the Procurement team at work had a small celebration for someone completing 5 years in the organization & one of the folks came by my desk and gave me a big piece of chocolate cake that they saved for me.

I CANNOT EAT IT !!!!

I mean I can count it within my daily calorie intake but I am just put off by the sight of it !! Which is weird because all other celebrations at work, I run for second helpings and today I can't even look at this piece !!

Maybe I should just wait till the office clears and chuck it in the bin!!
Or maybe I should taste a little bit of it

The thing that is bothering me is.. I don't want to go cold turkey on the foods that I used to love. If I end up losing all the weight and start eating this stuff again, I am scared I will bounce right back !!

What do you think I should do with this cake? It's seriously staring at me !!!
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #2  
Makin' it happen

S/C/G: 296/198/150

Height: 5'4

If it were me, I'd throw it out. Usually if I let myself one bite, that one bite turns into two, then three and before I know it I've eaten the entire thing and want more, lol. Can you take it home for anyone? When someone brings me by some sort of treat, I keep it for my son to eat if it is something he would enjoy.

I know what you mean about not wanting it though. I'm not having nearly as much difficulty turning things down lately as I thought I would.
onagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #3  

If you don't want to eat it, then don't.

Don't feel obligated to just because they saved it for you.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #4  

I wouldn't have it...there is no way it tastes good enough to satisfy the doubts you have.

The way I think of it now...there will always be cake.

(did you throw it out yet....?)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #5  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Yes !!! So I gave the piece of cake away to another colleague who I know has a sweet tooth !! The smell of it was messing with my brain !!

I instead took out my small bag of grapes that I carry to work (I snack on fruit) & it satisfied MY sweet tooth just fine.....

and now I feel MUCH BETTER !!!

I HAVE THE WILL POWER !! ** SPARTAN GROWL**
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Woot! You are a much stronger person than I am. Chocolate cake is my weakness. Congrats on staying strong!
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus29 View Post
Yes !!! So I gave the piece of cake away to another colleague who I know has a sweet tooth !! The smell of it was messing with my brain !!

I instead took out my small bag of grapes that I carry to work (I snack on fruit) & it satisfied MY sweet tooth just fine.....

and now I feel MUCH BETTER !!!

I HAVE THE WILL POWER !! ** SPARTAN GROWL**
You are awesome!!!! So happy and proud of you, it wasn't worth the calories!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #8  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I'm glad you gave it away.

I took a piece of cake recently, took a few bites and then chucked it away. Someone had made it and I did feel bad. But ya know...I had all I wanted of it. Slices were pre-cut, so I couldn't choose the size I wanted.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

You're a lioness! Way to go!

If the person who saved it and brought it to me asked if I liked the cake, I would have thanked her for thinking of me but just told her I can't eat that sort of thing right now because it doesn't support my goals.

If she was offended by that, the evil me would then go on a looooooong tirade about my health issues and people who sabotage my efforts to lose weight, not that I was accusing her of doing that, but still, it's just so hard to be around all this sort of food... That usually fixes the issue of people bringing me food that I don't care to have around me.

Throwing out cake is not a sin!

Finding balance in our eating is important. For now, with so much weight to lose, I stay away from all that sort of stuff. It just leads me to extended periods off track. Eventually, when I'm at goal, I'll find what level of eating is good for maintenance and then experiment with certain foods. I'll only indulge in food that is really appealing and worth it to me. Like I'll eat a chocolate on occasion, but perhaps only a really high-quality French dark chocolate, and not a big serving. I can pass on cake because I don't really like it. I do love a good lemon meringue pie, so an appropriate sized piece, maybe once a year. That really is all I truely want. If it was a food that only leads to binges, I'd avoid it. I have given up on ever having bread before dinner at restaurants. I eat the whole basket! And then dinner, and then dessert. If I skip the bread, I tend to make much wiser choices for dinner and don't order dessert.

You have time to really assess your eating habits. Then you can make wiser choices later.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #10  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

You are a rock star!!!!

Yesterday I had a bite of store bought cheesecake that someone brought in that I use to love and it tasted terrible! So you never know...that cake may not have tasted as good as you last remember.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

I wouldn't eat it, and I wouldn't save it for someone in my family to eat, either. Your family members' stomachs are not trash cans.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Good for you!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #13  
banned

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I wouldn't eat it, and I wouldn't save it for someone in my family to eat, either. Your family members' stomachs are not trash cans.
This is a good point.

I've noticed that a lot of dieters seem to think it's okay to feed junk food to their friends, kids or significant other. I see that and I'm thinking "Don't you want the people you care about to be healthy too?".

Chocolate cake is a beautiful thing IF you can control yourself. When faced with a similar situation, I would have had a big, fat chocolate orgy.
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

You did good. I would have thrown it away or gave it away. I once bought a whole cake into work that I could not face at home.

I guess I just passed the problem onto someone else. Oops.

Last edited by IanG; 04-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Toss it, it's just cake. I can't eat cake on my plan, at least conventional ones made with sugar and grains - I don't feel a bit of guilt turning down foods. A "thanks for thinking of me" generally suffices, as does politely turning it down and asking if anyone else wants it.

I find cold turkey worked soooo much better. And that doesn't mean never, ever eating cake again. I'm strict low carb and low inflammation with my diet, and I can still work in cake. It just happens to be with coconut or almond flour, and sugar substitutes. I've fed LC baked goods to friends and family and gotten nothing but compliments, so clearly the items can taste as good (or better!) than their conventional counterparts.

And you may well find, down the road a ways, that the memory of foods like cake is far more appealing to you than the taste of the food, itself. I don't really want cake, beyond some munchy mouthfeel - what I want is my family together, or hugs, or even just reminiscing about past celebrations can often be enough! Food is just food, the celebration or sentiment around it can indeed be divorced from the eating, itself, and be just as enjoyable. I've found it very freeing to sit at a party and feel peaceful and social without needing a prop drink or a plate of greasy appetizers (or even excellent appetizers ) to make it feel complete. Then if I choose to eat, it doesn't increase the enjoyment, it's just another choice. Taking that emotional component out of eating has been really key to my maintaining in any circumstance, including stress and holidays.

I'm not perfect, of course, but I've come a long way

- Just my personal experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrus29 View Post
So the Procurement team at work had a small celebration for someone completing 5 years in the organization & one of the folks came by my desk and gave me a big piece of chocolate cake that they saved for me.

I CANNOT EAT IT !!!!

I mean I can count it within my daily calorie intake but I am just put off by the sight of it !! Which is weird because all other celebrations at work, I run for second helpings and today I can't even look at this piece !!

Maybe I should just wait till the office clears and chuck it in the bin!!
Or maybe I should taste a little bit of it

The thing that is bothering me is.. I don't want to go cold turkey on the foods that I used to love. If I end up losing all the weight and start eating this stuff again, I am scared I will bounce right back !!

What do you think I should do with this cake? It's seriously staring at me !!!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote