Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Shopping with skinny(er) friends

I ran into some friends at the mall this weekend. They insisted that I come shopping with them. I had already finished my shopping (at the one store that carries my size...) but I figured I would tag along anyway. Wandering from store to store, looking at all the pretty things, the new spring colors and a plethora of stuff that just doesn't fit me. It's so hard not to be depressed! Looking at all this stuff I want to be able to wear and am so far away from fitting into!

I did a whole lot better on this shopping trip with these girls than I would have done in the past. I managed to stay happy, and not get all down in the dumps, and negative ( ie. ...Ugh, everything in this store is terrible, who would wear this junk anyway, I don't want to even go into that store, listen to the horrible music they are playing... etc etc)

This time, to keep myself entertained, I went and picked a shwack of the things that I would have tried on if I could, and made my friends try them on instead. They were pretty good sports as my taste is VERY different than theirs.

I tell ya, clothes are a huge motivator for me right now. I bought 7 items from Additionelle, nothing was on sale, but I needed some new stuff (New bra *down a band size!*, new pants for gym, 4 tees and some capris) I spent over 200 bucks. These girls each spent half as much money and left with twice as many things. It's just not fair! I want cheap clothes too!!

As much of a good time I had this time, I think I am going to keep my shopping with skinny friends to a minimum, it's pretty hard on my psyche still!!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #2  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Shopping with thinner friends has always been a total bummer for me, next time I'll do it your way & make it fun! I like that you made them try on the stuff you liked, I could have a lot of fun with that! I've always thought that if I were thinner I would dress a LOT differently than I do now, so it would be fun to see what my "style" would be like if I could wear the clothes myself.

Congrats on the smaller bra size!
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #3  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Jewelry and shoes And looking for awesome sales. Distracting things that can make this kind of situation better?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #4  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Ah, heck, I hated shopping even when I was my thinnest!!! I AM big boned and broad shouldered, and when I got down as thin as I could (20+ years ago) I was STILL a size 10 in skirts and 12 in tops!

... and no amount of weight loss is ever going to change the fact I wear a size 11 shoe!
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #5  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Jewelry I do like to shop for, but shoes are a pain with my huge man-feet. I saw some cute shoes that I totally would have bought for 12 bucks. Biggest size was a 7 Stupid fat feet.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I always find shopping stressful. Good job keeping your cool.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I just hate shopping. I know, I may be missing one of the key female genes. I just find it to be mind numbing boring to walk from store to store, look at clothes, try them on, go to the next store. I did when I was young and thin as well. But, my style of shopping is what I refer to as blitzkrieg -- I can walk in a store and tell within the first 30 seconds if there's anything in there that's going to interest me. Yep, might as well give them a fair chance! However, all of my friends are what I refer to as the lurkers and touchers -- anything under an hour in a store is wasted time to them and they have to touch every single hanger in the store. I drive them nuts. They drive me nuts. Don't get me wrong. I value my friends enough that I'll do it with them and I don't nag them to hurry up, but they always groan when it's my turn to suggest an activity because it's NEVER shopping! unless it's at an antique mall where I might find a steal! But who knows -- maybe when I can again buy willy nilly off the rack, I might finally find that missing gene.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i still dont like shopping even though i could most likely fit into alot of things in the junior's section...i bought a juniors 11/13 hoodie a few months ago...it's tight and i like it that way...but still, i've wandered through the junior section, and the regular section, the business clothing section and the athletic wear section and i'm truly not interested in anything from any of it....maybe i'm just very picky??
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #9  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
However, all of my friends are what I refer to as the lurkers and touchers -- anything under an hour in a store is wasted time to them and they have to touch every single hanger in the store. I drive them nuts. They drive me nuts. Don't get me wrong.
OMG, you just described my husband!!! I hate shopping, I find it stressful ... he LIKES browsing (what you call a Lurker and Toucher) and finds shopping RELAXING! Personally I prefer shopping at someplace like Goodwill, they group everything by color and type (i.e., I NEED a sweater, I want one in one of XYZ colors, point me to the rack and let me GTH out of there in under 5 minutes).

Oh, and he's got small-normal guy sized feet with no anomalies so he can actually buy sale shoes off the rack (I haven't seen anything on a sale rack in my size since high school). He usually finds a pair that are comfortable within two try-ons or so ... I hate him.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote