Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #16  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

When I've gone on vacation I enjoy myself within reason. It's not necessary to eat an entire plate to sample the local cuisine after all.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I don't think that eating local cuisine and watching what you eat have to be mutually exclusive. You can sample the foods in moderation and just stop when you are full.

To my surprise, I followed this strategy on my last vacation to South America and actually lost weight for the first time ever while on vacation.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #18  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

In November, my sisters and I took a 3 day sisters weekend! We went to Lincoln, had a motel, went shopping, went to a Husker football game, etc.

One thing we decided, was, we would not eat anywhere we could eat at home. So, we did Texas Road House, a Cuban place, etc.

We went to a semi pro hockey match and drank beers! We had a blast!

We are all in the same boat with our weight. So, what we did, was order what you want, but stop when you are full, you do not need to clean your plate, and expect a few days of water weight gain when you get home. And have the mindset, that when you get home, it's right back on plan.

I don't know about the sisters, didn't ask, I packed on 3 pounds of water weight, but, I got right back on plan and within a few days it was gone!

The Red Robin Blue Cheese burger and tower of onion rings was to die for! However my 2 sisters and I and one nephew split the tower of rings so we only got 3 each! Share!

When we were full, we quit and the nephew, who lives in Lincoln, young and financially challenged, got the doggie bag, and took the leftovers!

I would say enjoy the local food, have a few drinks, but keep portion control in mind, and be of a mind set to see a slight gain when you get home, but be prepared for that, and be mindful of getting right back on plan!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #19  

I just got back a few days ago from NOLA. I had an amazing time!

What worked for me was ordering foods that they are known for, and only eating half portions. If what I was going to eat wasn't special then I would make a healthy choice. Honestly there is do much good food down there that not enjoying it would have been difficult for me. I made sure I took advantage of the hotel gym and walked everywhere. The day I got back from vacation I was right back on plan. I didn't gain any weight and I definitely indulged.

Have a great time!
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Some of my favorite things there are raw oysters (10 calories each!!) @ Acme Oyster Bar, and crawfish boil (262 calories for 1.5 pounds in the shell!!) by the French Quarter. Also, Bloody Marys (Coops!!) are a good bang for the buck! ;-)

Oh--and try the pralines--but try them for free--lots of stores offer sliver samples!

Last edited by HungryHungryHippo; 01-23-2013 at 12:06 AM.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #21  
the muse of memory

Definitely pay more attention to enjoying local foods than to limiting yourself. Food and drink seems so central to the NOLA experience that 'dieting' there would be unpleasant!

Maybe add in some extra walking beyond your walking tours every day, too? Wander out and lose yourself in the city, bring a pedometer and really challenge yourself to move alot. I think we hit 25k+ steps one day while just touring around the old town in Tallinn, Estonia. Which did not seem all that big to me from the outside?

Usually I am very careful at breakfast, moderately careful at lunch, let myself have a snack if we stop (but often you are too busy touring for a snack?), but never something that is... pedestrian. And then ate what I wanted at dinner. Sometimes when I've been on a cruise, I made the decision to order dessert and eat half of it. Have a great trip!
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Normally I would say to try to stay on plan as much as possible with maybe a few treats. But New Orleans is a world unto itself. It is to be experienced, relished and savored. Not only the food which is out of this world, but the culture, the atmosphere, the history, and the music. Have a wonderful time!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote