Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Default Why is it so hard to only eat when you're hungry?!

I can't believe how hard this is... I guess I was underestimating how strong 'head hunger' can be, but I'm struggling right now!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Hang in there! I agree it's hard. I once heard "nothing tastes as good as being thin." I think it was said by a terribly thin person who to my knowledge had never been overweight so it kinda bugged me at the time but I still say it to myself sometimes. Anyone know where that quote comes from?

Last edited by Fluffypuppy; 12-20-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It can be intense. But the more you say no, the easier it gets. I am always SO proud of myself and energized when I succeed in overriding my cravings/emotions and ride it out without going off my plan. It is more automatic over time, though the challenge doesn't completely go away it does improve.

Just hang in there and let your mind stay in control - don't justify or give yourself permission, it WILL pass
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I struggle with boredom eating. While I always ask myself why I want something when I'm not hungry, I still sometimes eat when I just WANT food rather than need it.

My solution is just my same old calorie counting plan I've been following for a year and a half now. If I really can't take it anymore and I must have SOMETHING, I can "feed" that boredom eating urge with some food as long as I account for it. I haven't cured myself...I just learned to manage.

I've certainly gotten better, but sometimes just giving in even a little bit helps me not go over the deep end and eat so much more.

Drinking instead does help too, I never need to watch my water intake!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Honestly? Largely because most of the processed food in our grocery stores is mega loaded with sugar, salt and addictive chemicals. Since I have gotten rid of most of that, my cravings are far less.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I eat at regular times with snacks built in at regular intervals. That helps a lot to keep from feeling hunger pangs. I, also am prone to boredom hunger, when I go stand in front of the open refrigerator and wonder what I can eat, I know I am not hungry, bored,maybe but not hungry.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Also... when I first started to break the constant wanting to eat habit, I would leave out a bowl of chopped veggies, fruit, etc. When I wanted food I would grab a piece or two of that. If I didn't want that but junk instead, I would stop and realize that I was NOT hungry. It really helped.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I'd say because eating feels pretty great the vast majority of the time. I don't know the difference between head hunger and real hunger, and honestly I'm starting to think I never will. But I'm willing to work with that. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, you know?

Eating low carb has helped me be able to stop eating as frequently, or as much, but I know it doesn't have that effect on everybody.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffypuppy View Post
Hang in there! I agree it's hard. I once heard "nothing tastes as good as being thin." I think it was said by a terribly thin person who to my knowledge had never been overweight so it kinda bugged me at the time but I still say it to myself sometimes. Anyone know where that quote comes from?
Kate Moss said it. What she said was 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.' It caused a lot of controversy and is used as a mantra on many pro-anorexia sites and forums. That line always kinda bugged me as well because one of my girlfriends who's been suffering from anorexia for years (and is proud of it) used to say it all the time. I can agree with the statement to an extent, but it's a real dangerous quote for live by. I get boredom hungry all the time. What helps me is when I busy myself with something else. Whether that's drinking water slowly, going to bed early, or writing. I write a lot. I'm a big list maker. I think I said this before in another thread, but I write out lists to stay busy and take my mind off food or to help me stay focused on my goals. Shopping lists, to do lists, lists of reasons I need to stay on track, lists of accomplishments so far, lists why I think I deserve to snack or not to snack.... Once I see it on paper, it usually strengthens my resolve. That, and thinking up lists takes time, and usually by the time I'm done, the cravings have passed anyway.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I did read recently (and I cannot remember where) that a study was done on addictions in which people actively resisted their urgings/cravings and it was scientifically proven that this behavior/act of resistance actually increased their natural defenses against what they were addicted to. So, basically, the more you are able to resist now, the easier, less painful and more natural it will become later.

In other words - HANG IN THERE!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote