Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Why does a small bump UP the scales affect me so much?

The title kinda says it all. If I get on the scales and have a tiny bump UP I freak out but if I get on the scales and have a small bump DOWN I feel like a million bucks. I know bumps up are normal and Ive had tons of those but even after all this time it freaks me out.
Im trying to figure out how to not let it freak me out. I can explain the bumps (water retention, carbs, Auntie Flo) and I know that I have to stick with it, but it doesn't make it any easier.
Anyone else freak out with small bumps up? Anyone used to freak out and now just doesnt? How did you get to that space?
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I stopped paying attention to my daily weighs...I still step on the scale, but the only day that matters to me is my offical tracking day on Monday...After I record it, and I see the downwards pattern on my chart, the little spikes durning the week don't seem so bad...
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #3  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I feel the same way. So I put my scales away and stop at my dr's office for a weigh in unless I feel the need (like after I upp'd my calorie intake) to weigh myself at home.

Put them away and use a measuring tape. It did a lot for my esteem and sanity
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I know exactly what you mean, so I only weigh once a week.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I gotta say, they used to really bother me. For me, it was just time that got me past that. The longer I have stayed on my healthy journey, the less the small bumps up (or down) affected me.

My brain is finally accepting that this is a forever path and with that, I slowly became less and less concerned when I'd gain a pound or two because I knew, from experience, that it was either because of temporary things like eating too much salt the night before, or it was because I earned that weight through bad habits (i.e., I had binges, didn't exercise, etc.). So in the case of temporary things, I knew it would work itself out in a day or two and in the case of the things I knew I'd done wrong, I just had to self-correct and I'd be okay. Sometimes it took weeks to self-correct, so I would concentrate on little things (getting to the gym regularly, food journaling, stopping the binges) until I could get all things under control again.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I force myself to live through the scale driving me nutso because I have to have that accountability. A weekly weight in would be my downfall. But if you're made of stronger stuff than I (and it don't take much to be), then find a measuring tape, take pictures, measure how you feel going up stairs....

Your weight is going to fluctuate. It sucks, but you are not a failure if you go up. I used to beat myself up too. But then I took it as a challenge. A little more water during the day. One more lap in the pool. If it stuck for a few days, I didn't punish myself. Instead I took pictures, felt my collar bone and wore something I would get complimented in. The progress is there. The scale is the lousiest way to measure it.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
I gotta say, they used to really bother me. For me, it was just time that got me past that. The longer I have stayed on my healthy journey, the less the small bumps up (or down) affected me.
Same for me. The first couple of months, it was a big deal, but as the months went by, it was less and less important. The general trend was down, I was doing everything that I needed to be doing, so it just was what it was. I can only control me; the relative humidity, time of the month, etc. are not my problem and I refuse to spend my time worrying about them.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #8  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker23 View Post
I stopped paying attention to my daily weighs...I still step on the scale, but the only day that matters to me is my offical tracking day on Monday...After I record it, and I see the downwards pattern on my chart, the little spikes durning the week don't seem so bad...
Baker, I have thought of doing that too. At which weight did you resolve to use other methods ahead of the scale? Do you feel this has helped with your success not to worry over the scale? I have too much emotion wrapped in those digits so I wondered about this.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I get it. Right now, I"m taking a break from the scale. It might be for a few weeks or a few months....I'm not sure, but right now, I'm just going to stay away from it for a while.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

I know it can be really discouraging
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #11  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

The scale drives me nuts as well.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #12  

this shouldnt hinder you from continuing with your goals. instead let this serve as a motivation.
orangegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #13  

I'm on a looooong scale break for the exact reason you mention.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220.6/193.7/125.0

Height: 5''5'

I get the same way, but if I don't weight myself regualarly than I end up gaining a lot! Stay strong you go this!
BrittanyRinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #15  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
My brain is finally accepting that this is a forever path and with that, I slowly became less and less concerned when I'd gain a pound or two because I knew, from experience, that it was either because of temporary things like eating too much salt the night before, or it was because I earned that weight through bad habits (i.e., I had binges, didn't exercise, etc.). So in the case of temporary things, I knew it would work itself out in a day or two and in the case of the things I knew I'd done wrong, I just had to self-correct and I'd be okay. Sometimes it took weeks to self-correct, so I would concentrate on little things (getting to the gym regularly, food journaling, stopping the binges) until I could get all things under control again.
This exactly! I feel like my scale doesn't lie. I know my fluctuations from eating salty foods, exercise, TOM, etc. So I also know when my scale is reflecting being too loose with my food choices. I'm never shocked by what the scale says, so to me, it is sort of comforting.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote