Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #16  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

congrats!

Really thank you for posting and sharing that. I think it is such great motivation & inspiration to read posts like this!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Yay--thanks for the great message!!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Good to hear from you. I also recently passed the 1-year maintenance mark after losing 55 pounds. A couple of other things we have in common: I've also found a groove that works for me (and probably wouldn't for many other people) and I also have an iron-clad rule to scale back for a couple of days after overeating.

In my case I'd say maintenance has been both easy and difficult. Physically it's quite easy as I eat enough to experience only mild hunger on occasion. Psychologically there's some sacrifice involved. I've always had a very large appetite (according to my mother, since the day I was born) and could easily pack away 4,000 cals per day rather than my 2,000 maintenance allotment. I have an iron stomach and can eat any foods in any combination without experiencing digestive symptoms (within limits; a jar of hot chili peppers would probably give me a few twinges). I enjoy rich, exotic gourmet foods. In order to maintain my loss, I've obviously had to rein in these tendencies.

Care to share a few details about your plan? Mine is:
1. 500 cals for each meal (very loosely counted), three 100-cal snacks, 200 cals for wine and coffee. I find that evenly sized and spaced meals leave me MUCH less hungry, and I love my breakfast.
2. I eat mainly healthy home-cooked foods, but no foods are off-limits and once in a while I eat like a kid (cookies, popcorn, etc.).
3. About once a month I have a planned binge (or planned excess, if you will), like eating 4,000 cals at an all-you-can-eat Asian buffet.
4. Moderate exercise 4 times per week (jogging in the warm months, gym class in the colder ones).
5. I weigh myself at least twice per week, often every day.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 12-05-2012 at 07:55 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #19  

Good to "see" you again, freelance! I'm glad to know all is going well with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Care to share a few details about your plan?
I think the key to my success has been the flexibility of my plan. I'll be honest: I like spontaneous eating to some extent, but I was never able to continue that type of eating in my past attempts because every plan I tried insisted that planning meals is essential. Here are some specifics:

1) I have a weekly calorie allotment rather than a daily one (although I obviously still count my calories daily using a smartphone app). My weekly allotment is approx. 15,400 calories. On days that I'm busy with work, I might eat 1400-2000 (depending on how hungry I am). About 2-3 days during the week, I eat 2700-3000 calories. Thus, I don't panic if I eat a lot one day because I know that I can just cut back the next day and still be within my weekly calorie allotment. This has gotten me through spontaneous eating events, holidays, going to fine dining restaurants where, of course, calorie counts aren't available, etc. (those circumstances always were the death knell to my past attempts to maintain my weight).

2) I start my daily calorie count with my most unpredictable meal, which for me is dinner. That, again, appeals to the part of me that hates planning. (Don't get me wrong: I do plan to some extent--e.g., lunch that I take to work).

3) I don't count macros. I just eat what I like (again, the flexibility factor is important). Fortunately, like you, I tend to me somewhat of a foodie. I eat organic, & I really do like fruits and veggies. I also like homemade baked goods, artisan bread, real butter, etc.

4) I exercise quite a bit, but much of it is on my homemade tread desk, where I get a lot of work done while I'm exercising. I also exercise 3-4 days a week at the gym in classes that I really love. For someone who always dreaded exercise, I am amazed that I am enjoying it for this long of a stretch.

Thanks, also, to others who responded.

Last edited by lin43; 12-05-2012 at 08:41 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #20  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

(Not sure if your question was for me or for postrs before me, but here goes anyway ^^):

No very detailed plan for me. I loosely count calories, but more in a manner of "I know that there are X calories per slice of that bread (because I've been eating it for years and know the specs by heart) so I can afford Y slices". I try to go by about 500 cals/meal, with room for a couple of snacks, but I think most often I end up eating less than that for breakfast, and so it also leaves me with room for 'accidental' treats, if I may say so. ^^; I don't count more specifically than that, since being adamant on counting had very likely contributed to send me spiralling towards an eating disorder a few years ago. (Not blaming calorie counting per se; it's just the way it unfortunately went for me, but a lot of people manage it without problems.)

Also, after years of trying to change my way of eating (since 2005), my body has also adjusted, and now I know by instinct, sort of, what it wants. For instance, greasy foods will make me feel full very quickly, and as a result, I naturally stop before I've done damage. Example: I still eat at McD's from time to time, but a small portion of fries + a small hamburger is all I need to be full there (no more big size meals that amounted to 1500 calories). This is also made easier by the fact that I've never liked sodas, creamed/sugared coffee and tea, not even fruit juice... so I've never felt deprived of those things (and those are just as many 'empty calories' I don't have to worry about, and focus on good, real food instead--like, eating the actual fruit instead of drinking juice).

My eating is far from being perfect. I still eat cookies, some junk food, pizza, etc. But my focus has primarily shifted from rice/pasta/bread as core of my meals, towards vegetables and protein as a core. I envision my meals this way: I want this or that vegetables, now what kind of protein can I add to it? (Instead of envisioning first what kind of pasta, potatoes or rice I wanted, like I used to do years ago.) It has also helped in reducing stuff like fries, which I don't even crave anymore now.

I don't plan for splurge meals/days or whatever, I prefer to allow myself treats now and then, so that my mind won't go into "I feel deprived aaaaaaah!" mode (which leads to binges in my case). There are days when I happen to overeat, but now that my body has adjusted, it also balances things out in the following days (I'm less hungry, and I just don't feel like eating much).

I'm not great on exercising, alas. I had to cut on my gym membership b/c of financial problems a few months ago. However, I still use some DVDs (like Leslie Sansone's) a couple of times a week; and I try to incorporate 'natural exercise', like biking to work (4x20 minutes, 4-5 days a week), walking to the post office (30 mins) instead of driving there, never using the elevator, and so on.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote