Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #1  

Default Maintenance is easier than I thought!

I haven't posted here in several months, but I wanted to pop in to say that as of last Tuesday, I've been maintaining my 40-50 lb. loss for one year! I am hoping that my message will inspire others (which is one reason I posted in the general weight loss area rather than on the "maintenance" board). Last year, after a few months of losing without weighing myself, I finally weighed myself the Tuesday after Thanksgiving 2011 and was pleasantly surprised to see 140. I decided to go on maintenance since that was below my original weight loss goal, and I actually lost a few pounds during that time (my average weigh-in is 134-137).

I want to give others hope that YOU CAN DO IT! I have found that contrary to conventional wisdom, maintenance has been easy (once I got into my groove--the first few months there was a learning curve). I know, I know: I haven't maintained nearly as long as some have here; maybe there are challenges ahead that I'm not aware of. But for now, it seems that the longer I maintain, the easier it has become. I think it's because I've learned to trust myself. I still overeat, but now [unlike in past attempts], I don't freak out and use it as an excuse to throw in the towel. Instead, I realize that all I have to do is cut back for a day or two, and since I've actually followed through with doing that, I can trust myself to do it in the future. The only circumstance I can see that might be a major challenge is if my routine drastically changes (e.g., I change jobs, move, etc.). I'll have to deal with that if/when it comes.

Another key to my success so far is that I found a plan that works FOR ME. That is a cliche, I know, but it is so true. Before, I was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This time around, though, I constructed a plan I thought would work for me, and it has!

So, if you're a yo-yo dieter like I was, just know that there is hope. I am proof of it!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #2  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Huge congrats!

I am so happy to hear that you've found your routine and that maintenance has been great for you! My one year is this week, and I, too, have maintained the same weight range pretty easily. Soem days are definitely better than others, but my body just knows when I am full, and it knows when I am eating just to pass the time.

Congrats again!

Last edited by ChickieChicks; 12-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Thank you for posting this. I've heard many people say that maintaining is harder that losing. So, it is nice to see success stories. It is very encouraging and inspiring.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Yes, thanks for posting.
I have been loosing for over a year now and still have another 20 to go, but looking at maintenance within 6 months or so and its concerning me a bit. I do not want to yo yo. Your post is encouraging.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for posting. I have been on many diets and I sure would like this one to be the last. It is inspiring to see that you have been successful.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Hey congrats! Glad to see you here again! I'm coming up on one year since I posted my goal topic and it's totally hard to believe it's already been a year. I hope all of us ladies who hit goal around that time (I know there's a number of us) keep maintaining together!!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #7  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations! That is so awesome.

Words of wisdom and hope are so nice to see now and again.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #8  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Thank you for posting, and congratulations!

I'm hoping that I'll be one of those that has an easy enough time with maintenance. Except for the slip-up I had last winter (and have since recovered from), I have not had one significant gain since 2004; I've either been losing or maintaining (I've had and still have a lot to lose). I hope I've learned a lot from all the months upon months I've maintained my previous losses with little to no effort before taking the next plunge into weight loss mode.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I've found the same thing - as long as one is mentally willing to work at it and not expecting, on some level, to be able to return to pre-diet intake without returning to pre-diet weight, maintenance behaviors are just an extension of what you've already been doing. A little food tracking and weighing, a healthy and controlled diet, some exercise... I've never found it that tough, either. The issues in maintenance for me are more mental than physical, so if my thinking is in line the actions and scale range follow for the most part.

I'm so glad you've maintained your losses without much struggle, that is excellent news and I wish you many more years of healthy, easy weight control
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #10  

Thanks to you all! It's encouraging to know that others have had a similar experience with maintenance.

Elladorine--eight years! Wow! You're an inspiration.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Woohoo! I am secretly hoping to magically drop a couple lbs but I've been about the same weight for all of summer and fall and it has been almost effortless - not a single calorie counted, nor major setback!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
Another key to my success so far is that I found a plan that works FOR ME. That is a cliche, I know, but it is so true. Before, I was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This time around, though, I constructed a plan I thought would work for me, and it has!
I personally think this is the key to maintain. One needs to construct a plan or WOE that one can live with forever that keeps calories in check.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #13  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I often wonder how things are going to go for me once I am maintaining. It took me a bit to figure out what worked for me. Now that I have a groove going, I am amazed with my progress and it's not overly difficult.

Thank you for taking the time to update us!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #14  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Maintenance has been easy enough for me too. (Well, minus the binges, but those didn't have to do with maintaining per se, and I'm almost rid of those now anyway.) I think the main reason why was that I learnt to eat in a way that was both healthy and that pleased me--made easier by the discovery that I actually LOVED fruit and vegetables (I can go a whole year without eating French fries, but don't deprive me of my raspberries or green beans!).

Of course, I'm not uber thin either, and will probably never be a size 0, which would be pretty hard to maintain without severaly depriving myself. But that would be an unreasonable goal anyway. I've never been at the weight I'm at now, and still marvel everyday at realizing that, hey, I can stay that weight without too many sacrifices! (Tbh I don't even miss weekly fast-food meals etc. anyway. 'From time to time only' is perfectly OK with me.)

I guess it all amounts to:
1) You have to find something that works for you, that you can enjoy, and that you can sustain on a life-long basis.
2) You also have to accept that you can't "eat like before" again. (Hence why it's really important to enjoy 1)).

At least that's what's been working for me. I hope it helps.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #15  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote