Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #16  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebenAlles View Post
Makes sense....When your only 'competition' is yourself, then as long as you're moving forward, you're winning. Throw other people in the race with you and you start to notice every missed step, every person that is ahead of you...it's no longer about just reaching the goal, it becomes about how fast you get there compared to everyone else. For a lot of people, that's just too much pressure.
This. I think it's easier to be part of an anonymous group on the internet than to do something like weight loss with people you see every day, especially co-workers. A bunch of women in my office had a competition back in January and they drove me crazy with it, even though it was all very friendly and good-natured. I just got sick of hearing about it, but I'll check in here every day and be happy to read everyone's posts. Go figure!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #17  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

The same thing happens to me! I think everyone has given great insights! The only thing that hasn't messed me up is sharing 1 weigh in per week with my friend.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #18  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Just great responses! I seem to do better by myself (except online support). I'm not sure as to why, but probably one of the reasons stated above. I have told a handful of people that I am actively trying to change my lifestyle. So far so good, however I don't think I'm going to tell anyone how much I will eventually end up losing or sizing change. We will see in time, but my gut tells me to keep it private. Keep your head up and never give up.. You CAN do this!!

Last edited by pixiefalls; 08-09-2012 at 11:56 PM.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #19  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
I actually remember reading about a psychological study about how for some people, when they discuss their goals (related to anything, not just weight loss), it can trigger an effect in their brains that makes them feel as if they have already achieved that goal. Once that effect is in place, they feel like they're "done" already, and so motivation and discipline to continue on towards *actually* meeting the goal disappears - your brain is just like "I'm not wasting time on this, it's already completed" and tosses it off the checklist entirely. That may be part of what's going on here - just an interesting aside.
Wow, that's really interesting!! I know I'm not near my goal, but I wonder if there is a mind set of "it's OK to eat that because I'm doing well and I'll work it off in exercise class tomorrow".

Great ideas and feedback! I think it comes down to a feeling of competition. Even though I know we're not competing, there is that feeling. And maybe that's what it comes down to. My coworkers have gotten on the diet bandwagon and fallen off of it before. I keep going and that feeling of "winning" probably helps keep me going.

And competing with myself makes sense. So I suppose if I stick with this group effort, I need to figure out how to keep myself focused on my own individual self competition.

I didn't weigh in at work on Tuesday, weigh day, and I'm pretty focused this week. I'll weigh in next week.... lets see if I lost my focus again. If I do, I'm going to have to drop out.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote