Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #1  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Had an encouraging yet frustrating day

I have not blogged in a long time. I figured I would start again because I am finally ready to be honest with myself. I have struggled with my weight my whole life (as many have) I am encouraged by each story I read and the success I see. I however and at a loss on many levels. I have come to a point where I am willing to do the hard work. My husband is amazing and has supported me and contniues to be a support.

I went to the doctor today...I have lost almost 20lbs since the beginning of May. My thyroid was a mess and when I started on synthroid, it made me feel soo much better. I have been watching what I eat and just making changes to help me get in shape. Anyway..back to the doctor. She informed me that my cholesterol was high..high enough to be on medication! I kept thinking to myself, am I really THAT big? I always thought that either extremely obese or people over the age of 40 needed to be on lipitor. Boy..was I ever wrong. I am 30 and getting ready to take my first dose. I am also now on metformin for diabetes. My blood sugars have been stable on my end but apparently by lab work stated different.

I also have fatty liver disease...and now I need another biopsy because of the lipitor. There is a good chance that my liver will take a direct hit and the GI doctor needs to get in there to monitor potential damage. Apparently the enzyme test is not going to be enough while I am on lipitor. This is fine..because I am doing what I need to do to save my life. I have come to realize that if I do nothing, I will die. I am in the hardest fight of my life...I am confident that I will beat this and come out victorious. This is just a basic blog...no medical questions...just a simple post.
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/162/165

Height: 6'

Congrats on your weight loss. That 20 pounds has already had positive effects on your health. I remember the first time I realized I was in the obese category. I was really shocked. I truly has no idea. The information can hurt but it leads up to do what needs to be done.

Best of luck.
daniprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Glad you're ready to start up! I have fatty liver disease as well and there is GOOD NEWS!! When you lose weight the liver usually gets back to normal as long as there is no scarring. About 5 years ago I got diagnosed with fatty liver at about 230 pounds, I lost 20 pounds and my enzymes went back to normal... unfortunately, I have gotten bigger than I was before and the liver/side pain is back. I am just glad to know we can reverse most of these things. Did your doctor educate you on diet changes to improve your cholesterol? And the diabetes/insulin resistance?
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Think of how many people live in denial of their medical conditions, and you are facing it head on! And working to overcome them.

With the cholesterol, a lot of that is genetic, not what you eat. I eat bacon and butter and cheese and eggs and whole milk and my cholesterol is normal. There are other people ("normal weight") who eat low cholesterol and still have high cholesterol in their blood due to genetics. It has little to do with weight or food intake.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/167

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
..... With the cholesterol, a lot of that is genetic, not what you eat. ... There are other people ("normal weight") who eat low cholesterol and still have high cholesterol in their blood due to genetics. It has little to do with weight or food intake.
100% true. My mother-in-law is a vegetarian, eats healthy, exercises regularly, and is skinny. Yet she has high cholesterol and has to take medication to keep it under control. So yes, sometimes if its in the genes, you just can't avoid it. You'll have to tackle it from all fronts, diet, exercise and medication.
next99nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #6  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hopefully your doctor stays up with the latest studies on statins, and also on the new info coming out about how cholesterol works in the body. Statins are incredibly powerful drugs with a lot of side effects - it's worth the effort to learn about them! They are wildly overprescribed; while there are folks out there that absolutely should take them due to their risk factors, and for whom nothing else works ... there are many more who are going to hurt themselves unnecessarily. "Cholesterol" has been demonized as the source of all heart disease, when in reality, it is only one of 17 characteristics known to influence cardiac health. Your thyroid is another. Weight is another. Insulin sensitivity is another ... you are doing so many great things for your health! All these steps will add up and you'll see those numbers turn around. The body is an amazing creation, and it will respond positively to what you're doing!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Good for you on getting a thorough physical. Losing weight will help so many of the conditions you have. But high cholesterol may not be one of them. I hope it helps, but it might just be the way you are. My DD is 29, 5'-6" tall, 130 pounds, eats like an ad in Healthy Lifestyle magazine 95% of the time, works out - hard - and has high cholesterol. So does her dad.

With even a small amount of weight loss, though, things should improve dramatically. good luck.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #8  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words. I have been on my new meds for a few days and feel awesome. I have also lost another pound!! This has been the most difficult journey of my life. I am praying that my liver recovers. I will be having another biopsy soon to make sure there is no scar tissue. I have amazing doctors that have really listened and stuck by me thick and thin. They really take time to explain everything to me and they give me a sense of hope.
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote