Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5''

Default Reality Check

I received a call this morning from my mother. She informed me that my aunt had a freak accident and died very early this morning. Apparently, my aunt, who was a very healthy woman with no health issues or weight issues, slipped in the tub, hit her head, and died. My uncle was out of town for business and no one was at the house at the time of her fall. The neighbors discovered her body after my uncle didn't get a response from his repeated calls to my aunt. She was only 65 years old. A very healthy, slender 65 year old who worked out daily and ate healthy (she gave me tips on how to eat healthier).

Anyway, the reason why I'm sharing all this with you (aside from the fact that I'm still a bit in shock from all of it) is that....you just don't know when your time is up. Here was a healthy woman who had a freak accident. If my uncle was in the house, then he would have heard a big thump and she may be alive today.

I reflect on my own life and I think "Wow! I've put so much mental energy on losing weight and being obsessed with looking "good". If I fell in the bathtub, hit my head, and died, then what would I leave behind?"

My point is...sometimes...we (or perhaps just I) should step back and realize that life isn't just about counting calories, fitting into a certain size pant, etc. I had a reality check today. Unfortunately, this reality check occured because of the sudden death of a loved one.

Don't assume you will live to be old. RIP Aunt K.

Last edited by FreeBird3; 06-08-2012 at 01:01 AM.
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

First off I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be putting your family in my prayers definitely.

But I definitely get what you're saying. Earlier this year, I fell suddenly seriously sick and was in hospital for 5 weeks and I definitely got a reality check about what's really important and what I placed highest in priority in my life etc. And yes, it's so easy to be consumed by this journey and let it become the "be-all" of your life and I suppose it makes sense for a little bit. But there is more to life and I guess the key is finding the balance so we can live the healthiest, richest life we can for however long we have on earth.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm sorry for your loss. Those kind of things are really so sudden and come as a shock, indeed.

I agree, you ever know when your time is up. That's why I too think we have to live it to the fullest. For me, it doesn't mean giving up on controlling our weights etc (if I do that, I'm headed up for thrombosis anyway ^^), but we can definitely incorporate it within our lives without it becoming an obsession and consuming it all.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #4  

I’m sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace. We can never really tell what fate may bring us, if it’s gonna be our time to go...That’s why we should live our lives to the fullest, just like what Kery have said. We should all take our time to do all the things that will make us happy, so that we don’t regret that we’ve missed the chance we could have done so in the future.
iyah0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt.

I know how hard something like this is to go through. My father was very fit and active and he suddenly passed away from a heart attack a few years ago at the age of 40. No one could believe it was possible because he seemed to be doing everything right.

Although we can control some health risks through healthy eating and being active, there is no way to calculate how much time you'll have to spend with your loved ones. A loss like this really puts it in perspective.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm so sorry for your loss... It's always too soon when a loved one dies, but please know that by sharing with us, you've given your aunt's life extra meaning :-) I'm sure there is someone reading this thread (like me) that's 'waiting to lose the weight' so they can live... Hopefully, they get the message and start living today :-)
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I'm so sorry for your loss!!!

And I agree, we can't wait to live until we "get there", we have to live and enjoy the journey! Thanks for sharing.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote