Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #1  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Default So Vain!

Has anyone else become much more vain since losing weight? I've become very vain!

I've become much more concerned about my appearance than in the past. I spend more money on hair products, clothes, make up and skin care products than I used to. I try to leave the house in nicer clothes, at least a step above the big T-shirt and a pair of roomy shorts, more so than when I was heavy. I suppose what I choose to wear is more flattering to my figure instead of trying to hide my figure. I do my hair, and sometimes I even put on make up on my days off. I'm always trying to look my best.

Since I've slimmed down, I feel better about how I look. I feel good and I want to look good. I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed, and look nicer than I need to. Not to an extreme level, mind you. I'm not showing up to a BBQ in a dress, type of thing. In a group, I would like to be considered one of the pretty ones (I'm used to being the fat one).

The last time I lost weight, I was younger, mid 30s, and I remember doing some of the same things (like wearing nicer clothes instead of frumpy T-shirts), but I don't remember feeling the same level of concern about hair, make up and skin care, overall appearance.... basically, the same level of vanity.

There are 2 other main aspects that could be contributing to this concern about appearance. For one, I have a full time job now, where I need to maintain a professional appearance. Before I worked part time at night doing inventory (who really needs to wear make up for that?). That need to look presentable at work has maybe spread and influenced my off-work time. I've gotten comfortable with people seeing me a certain way, (full hair and make up) so leaving the house natural (no make up, hair pulled back) feels awkward.

I'm also in my 40s, now. I'm seeing lines and wrinkles appear where they didn't used to be. I'm trying to delay the inevitable, fighting aging, and I'm interested in any kind of affordable product that might slow things down.

It may be just pure shallowness, or maybe it's an attempt to hang on to what youth I might have left, or maybe it's just a side effect of feeling better, and looking better. I'm curious of others have had the same experience.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I dont think you're being vain at all. I think that your confidence level has increased since losing weight. With increased confidence comes the desire to look good. I Know for me, when I'm down I HATE thinking about looking good, putting makeup on etc. As I begin to feel better, my confidence increases and feel more comfortable "making myself pretty" because I dont mind the attention it may bring.

mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5

You forgot one option. It's pride. Being just a little bit proud of yourself and thinking you are worth a bit of effort
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265.0/262.6/175

Height: 5'8

I can only speak for myself, but I know that when I don't feel attractive, I tend to try to make myself disappear...no makeup, loose clothes, hair not done, very quiet, don't do very many things other than work and church...nothing that would attract any attention to myself and everything to try to divert it. Since I have been losing weight, I have started to come out of my shell a bit...wanting to look nice, considering doing things that would be WAY out of my comfort level right now. I think a lot of it has to do with not wanting to be the "loud obnoxious fat girl" that other people sit and whisper about. Maybe this interest in looking good, dressing well, being presentable isn't so much a matter of vanity...it might just be NORMAL. It could just be that this is what it feels like to love ourself.
lilmommajnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Count me in. I've spent a ton of money on new clothes in the past few months, including bright fuchsia skinny jeans I call my mid-life crisis jeans. I work from home so don't have to get dressed up (except for business trips and meetings), but I'm much more interested in looking good than I was 55 pound ago.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm starting to get there again myself. Not a bad thing, mind you.

It's good to care about your appearance, since it shows you care about yourself and your health. It's not so good when you don't feel good enough about yourself or don't have the energy to even bother. I lost relatively significant amounts of weight a couple of times when I was younger and I went as crazy as I could with the clothes and the makeup. It's fun and harmless to have a certain amount of vanity, as long as you don't go overboard and give it priority over more important things.

I think I'm right at the beginning stages of caring again. I've been putting my contacts in every day, regardless of whether or not I'm going out, and I put eye makeup on (which until recently, was only reserved for special occasions). It's kind of pointless to do my eyes up when I'm wearing my glasses, since my eyelashes brush up against my lenses and the mascara only feels weird and makes my eyelashes part down the middle! I keep my eyebrows groomed nicely these days, when I used to let them get all bushy and undefined. I also do my hair every day, another side effect of just feeling better and healthier in general. I used to be tired all the time, which I'm sure contributed to my lack of caring. And I'm not just grabbing whatever tent-shaped clothes that I feel I can best hide behind! I do my best to wear jeans/slacks that fit me properly, and even shirts that fit me properly as well. I spent so much time feeling self-conscious in any top that "hugged" my rolls, so to speak. While I still have those damned rolls, as long as it's not sausage casing, wearing a fitted shirt feels much more comfortable and even looks more flattering than the baggy, oversized shirts I always used to look for.

I'm anxious for the next ten pounds to come off, which means I'll have a whole new set of shirts to wear; the last time I visited my aunt and grandma they gave me two huge bags of shirts that almost fit me. I'll probably go completely crazy once I'm out of plus sizes. Can't wait for that.

It's been nice that I'm starting to feel "pretty" for a change, and I know it's been nice for you too. I wouldn't call it shallowness, it's just a sign of taking care of yourself.

Last edited by Elladorine; 05-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
You forgot one option. It's pride. Being just a little bit proud of yourself and thinking you are worth a bit of effort
Yep, this. When i'm overweight, i have no desire to even go shopping. When i'm thin, i feel like i'm worth it--worth the effort to look good. That's not how it should be, but it is the way it is. And i think it's a good reward to myself for losing weight.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I was actually feeling like this almost a year ago when I started out losing weight, sort of narcissistic and it scared me. I didn't wanna turn into a snobby vain b*tch or anything like that. Luckily, the "narcissism" went away and it's basically pride like Cherrypie said.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

Haha not vain at all - just taking pride in your appearance and good for you! I'm the same now - also in my 40s and suddenly wearing pretty dresses, makeup etc etc. I love it!
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
Exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmommajnn View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I know that when I don't feel attractive, I tend to try to make myself disappear...no makeup, loose clothes, hair not done. . .
Me too!

I've found, even though I still have a long way to go, the more I lose the more I put more effort into my looks.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #11  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I have done this too and I am also in my 40's. My family calls it my mid life crisis, I call it finding confidence in myself.
I have started using an anti aging cream from Avon at night. Don't know if it helps or not but I like to think it does.
I have started getting my nails and toes done (when I can afford it) and I like to tan. I did not do any of these things before I lost weight. I did not feel like I was worth spending the extra money one.
Enjoy your new self! You have worked hard for it.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I kinda smiled to myself when I read this post earlier today... but now that I've changed clothes for the sixth time since 10:30 am... I think I have to own up to being a bit vain/prideful due to this whole Weightloss thing, lol. Just a little ;-)
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6

That isnt vain at all, its just loving yourself and knowin your worth more than baggy clothes and greasy hair.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #14  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

At least you have places to wear those clothes! LOL I work one morning a week teaching Spanish to preschoolers, but I bought a LOT of nice work clothes. Ha ha!!! I can wear them to church, too, but still.

I agree that it is pride. The good kind that makes you smile and walk taller. :-)
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

My husband's noticed I'm so much more confident now that I've lost weight. He says it's because suddenly I'm out shopping, new clothes, new looks, pretty dresses. No more baggy sweatshirts.

However, he's also noticed that I look in anything reflective when we walk past :P and has suggested having more mirrors put in at home! It's mainly because when I catch sight of myself in a reflection, I can't believe it's me. I still don't realise I'm that slim as my brain/self-image hasn't caught up yet. It's always a nice surprise! I think the effect will wear off in another few months when I realise that's actually me in the mirror but I'm kind of enjoying it for now.
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote