Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #16  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

Wow! You guys are amazing!!!! I knew I joined this site for a reason, and this thread is it! Y'all are so supportive and so willing to share your stories! Thank you!!!!

I have been overweight most of my life, but not horribly overweight. I was a chubby kid starting around 1st grade and it just went from there. I probably tipped the scales around 200 when I graduated high school and then at my heaviest, about 3 months ago, I was 290. I'm down to 269 now and really looking forward to the 250 mark! I'm not stopping there though! Everyone here has had such an amazing journey or they are about to embark on one! I have been keeping a journal and trying to take pictures of myself and I have told myself I will start a blog about my journey when I get to 200lbs.
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'll chime in here, too, and say that it's silly to worry about the loose skin issues you may or may not have. and that you have no real control over. I'm 61 and had been over 250 pounds for the past 25 years. I was average size / BMI in my teens and young adult life. I yoyo'd between 145 and 210 a couple times in my 20s, got pregnant at 31, and after that pretty much slowly gained until I was over 250 and stayed there for lots of years. So, I was over 250 for just about your whole life - though not for all of mine!

I lost pretty steadily last year while counting calories and reducing carbs and fat and sugar and going to a gym and mostly doing group fitness classes in cardio, strength, and body sculpting. I originally planned to lose 100 pounds, but felt pretty great at 90 and stopped - at least for a time - because my skin just started to get loose looking at about 80 pounds. My reasons for stopping at 90 pounds were 100% vanity. At this weight (about 160 - 165) I look better than I did in 25 years and I wanted to be able to wear shorts and tee shirts without being self conscious of the loose skin. Of course, being over 60 makes for a little looseness all on its own. I have friends who were never heavy who have loose skin, too, because of our age.

I think you'll do fine. Your age is in your favor. And I agree wholeheartedly with everyone who says the weight loss is so much greater than a little baggy skin - if you even have any. I have noticed, even at my age, that my face is less drawn looking now than it was 6 months ago. I can't say my thighs, tummy, or upper arms are any better, but they look fine in normal clothes - even shorts and tees are good. Naked in front of others doesn't even figure into my equation, so I'm sorry I can't be totally objective there, but I'll tell you this - I'd rather have a stranger see me naked now at 162 pounds than a year or so ago at 252 pounds. Baggy skin or not. It all comes into very clear perspective as you really get down toward your goal weight.

Good luck and welcome aboard. This is a great place to get support.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 05-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #18  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Lin! Your post was great! This has really got me thinking more about it all. I know I want to lose the weight, loose skin or not, but having read what you guys have said makes me feel a little more comfortable and prepared for what the future may hold for me.
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote