Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #16  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

You know, I always thought I was a hardcore sugar junkie, but in the past two months of not eating any wheat at all, I've discovered that I can actually handle a little sugar now. I can have one serving of ice cream like a 'normal' person! It's so weird. So I guess instead of being a sugar addict, it turns out I'm a wheat addict.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #17  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I gorge myself until I'm sick. Really nothing makes me feel better than eating a box of oatmeal creme pies or just white cake with frosting. Probably two of my most favorite indulgences.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
You know, I always thought I was a hardcore sugar junkie, but in the past two months of not eating any wheat at all, I've discovered that I can actually handle a little sugar now. I can have one serving of ice cream like a 'normal' person! It's so weird. So I guess instead of being a sugar addict, it turns out I'm a wheat addict.
When I stopped sugar a month ago, I stopped "wheat" and all grains, really.
I believe more ppl than not are gluten sensitive.
Michelle Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #19  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It happens to all of us, I know very few healthy weight people who haven't experienced the same. The problem is if it becomes pattern or the frequency is such that we cannot easily undo the deleterious effects on our health.

With all but the rarest occasion I don't do sugar any more, at all, really. I have a serving of dark chocolate and gourmet cheese as part of my dessert factored into my lunch or dinner when I am maintaining, but that's literally it. More sugar than the (extremely dark and quite expensive ) chocolate contains would set me up for cravings and inflammation, and it isn't worth it. That doesn't mean the occasional piece of birthday cake will screw me up forever, but it does factor into the calculations my brain makes when deciding if a food is worth eating or worth passing up!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #20  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I too am a sugar junkie. It had gotten to the point where if I ate one candy, I had to finish the entire box. As if aliens had taken over my body.

Well, last night on 60 Minutes there was a very interesting report concerning people eating too much sugar. Everyone should watch it. The very short version is that the scientists in the report believe that sugar is the cause of many cancers. Human bodies were not made to process sugar and that is why such an uptick in cancers since sugar became prominent in the diet. Also, cultures who don't use sugar don't have much cancer. The other important thing is that scientists believe that your brain can't process the sugar either, and it is similar to the high from cocaine.

Everyone should watch the segment online to form their own opinion. It was very enlightening to me.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #21  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
The very short version is that the scientists in the report believe that sugar is the cause of many cancers. Human bodies were not made to process sugar and that is why such an uptick in cancers since sugar became prominent in the diet. Also, cultures who don't use sugar don't have much cancer. The other important thing is that scientists believe that your brain can't process the sugar either, and it is similar to the high from cocaine.
That doesn't make any sense to me. Sugars are found in many "natural" foods - fruits, veggies, etc. Of course the human body can process sugar!
As far as being similar to the "high" from cocaine, I can believe that. But I also know it's NOT similar to the high from cocaine.

Quote:
Everyone should watch the segment online to form their own opinion. It was very enlightening to me.
Sugar has had its demons for many decades. I believe that "all things in moderation" is the way to approach most things in life.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 04-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Yes. Nutella. Or Icing. Ack. It seems to be hormonal with me. I have noticed that I can turn that stuff down mostly, but when PMS, look out.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #23  
MG #1: lose back that 10#

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, and then I get tired so I don't feel like cooking something healthy, and then I eat something junky, and then I feel tired so I eat sugar...
loofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #24  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Not that long ago I ate an entire bag of butterfingers in 24 hours after realizing they don't contain gluten. So..Yeah.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-03-2012 at 12:35 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Ugh, yes. I've been trying very hard to cut sugary foods out of my diet (except fruits), but last week I was just so busy and gorged on candy and donuts for DAYS. It was awful. My body felt awful (I get super gassy when I have to many sweets. Gross) and I felt awful for giving in to temptation.

I have cut sugar out of my diet before, and it was incredibly helpful in my weight loss success. But every time I think "I haven't had sugar in a month, so I'll treat myself to a candy bar," I fall back into old habits and am not able to get back out for MONTHS. No sugar for me. Sugar is bad for my success.
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #26  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Have I ever gorged myself on sugar?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Do I breathe air?

Do I bleed blood?

LOL!!! I short...yes. Many many times over, yes!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #27  
A child of God :)

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/199 (for now)

Yes, I have but I much prefer savory foods. I have gorged on mac-n-cheese -- which most of us know converts to sugar anyway, so I believe it's all the same.

I totally believe our bodies were not meant to consume sugar that's not in it's natural form. Even fruit wouldn't have been available all year round in endless quantities so people typically didn't eat a whole lot of that either -- not to the extent that we do now. I think refined and processed sugars are especially toxic and have thought so for a long time.

Research has shown sugar has an opiate effect in our brains, and provides a definite "high" of sorts. Same with all carbohydrates, especially simple ones.

That said, I am a "most things in moderation" type of person so ideally I would consume sugar on occasion. Hopefully rarely, hopefully in a natural form (I enjoy things flavored with raw honey), and hopefully in a reasonable quantity.

However, that doesn't always happen (clearly lol).

I always feel like crap (emotionally AND physically) when I consume unhealthy amounts of sugar (and savory carbs). But yeah, totally been there.
35X35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #28  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

The "sugar" from fruits and vegetables is minimal compared to the sugar found in coca cola, cakes, cookies, etc., and the sugar that is added to many of the foods we eat in the form of high fructose corn syrup. People have not started eating processed sugar only 100 years ago according to the report. Like I said, you need to watch the report to draw your own opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me. Sugars are found in many "natural" foods - fruits, veggies, etc. Of course the human body can process sugar!
As far as being similar to the "high" from cocaine, I can believe that. But I also know it's NOT similar to the high from cocaine.

Sugar has had its demons for many decades. I believe that "all things in moderation" is the way to approach most things in life.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Have I ever gorged myself on sugar?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Do I breathe air?

Do I bleed blood?

LOL!!! I short...yes. Many many times over, yes!
Ditto :-(
chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #30  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
a craving so wicked and commanding
I love that line.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote