Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #16  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2salads View Post
I have noticed that alot of low-carb cooking seems to have really high sodium content?
Since when? I do a lot of low carb cooking and my food does not have a high sodium content. In fact it is quite the opposite.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Salt sensitivity isn't even universal among folks with high blood pressure. Many people with high blood pressure do not experience an increase in blood pressure with increased salt intake.

I'm on meds for high blood pressure, but I've been told by several doctors that I don't have to worry about salt content for several reasons. It doesn't seem to affect my blood pressure, and my blood sodium levels tend to be on the very low side (on several occasions too low, once to the point I had to take a prescription sodium supplement).

I do tend to eat a relatively low-salt diet, because I was raised in a family that always reduced or cut the salt from all recipes, and salt was virtually never put on the table at meals (corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes were about the only exceptions).

For the most part, I continue that habit, but I'm lucky not to have to watch sodium too carefully, just because my body seems to shed it fairly easily (possibly because I do eat a lot of potassium-rich foods).

I do retain water with salt, but that's easily remedied (and sometimes even preventable) just by drinking extra water along with or after eating saltier foods.

There are some other health issues associated with sodium, so it really is good advice to check with your own doctor before deciding that you should or shouldn't watch sodium levels.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #18  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

I have a serious issue with salt/sodium. I get so bloated and puffy, I literally woke up one morning after having ate olives the night before and I was so swollen it scared me.
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #19  

Salt does not cause your body to gain or lose fat. In fact, salt has no calories. High consumption of salt only results in temporary weight gain as it causes your body to retain water. Conversely, low consumption of salt can result in temporary weight loss as it causes your body to expel water.

It is interesting to note that many crash diets which boast quick weight loss rely on foods with little or no salt content. The weight loss is mostly water, and as soon as you eat foods containing salt again you regain the weight.

But do not be so quick to believe that salt has nothin to do when it comes to long-term weight loss. The reason why salt is typically associated with weight gain is that high levels of salt in our diets usually come from calorie dense, fiber poor, processed foods, like those found in fast food and restaurant meals, as well as on supermarket shelves. If you adhere to a low salt diet, it will likely consist of the lower calorie, healthier foods associated with weight loss.
karaheissman is offline   Reply With Quote