Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #1  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

Angry Plus size lingerie models make me mad.

I'm sorry, but this is REALLY bugging me today.
I'm in the market for some new underwear and bras, and I've been looking on websites and catalogs. Since when do women "of a certain size" have no lumps, bumps, stretch marks or anything?! Smooth skin and healthy curves as far as the eye can see. (Disclaimer: don't get me wrong, I know about photoshop but it's the principle of the thing!!!!!!!!!!)
I can't even really look at the underwear itself because I think to myself: my half loose skin/half fat stomach pooch will make those cute undies look BAAAAAAAAAD.

Ughhhhhhhh. Will I ever feel good about myself half naked?
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I am cracking up right now. Not at you, but at the fact that right now on my screen is an ad for plus size lingerie. And yeah, this chick looks totally hot. Definitely not what I look like in my regular everyday drawers. Sigh.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I have thought about this too....and honestly, in the modelling world I think the plus sizes of the models range from 8-12. I don't think any of the models are "plus sized" as in, size 18 or over.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The same reason that non plus sized models appear to have perfect figures.

Photoshop.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #5  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
I don't think any of the models are "plus sized" as in, size 18 or over.
I was actually reading a story on people.com(my guilty pleasure I don't normally tell xD) and this article about a basketball player, Kris Humpries sister poped up. Shes a size 18 and gorgeous.

I wish more more "Plus Sized" Agencies would use women like her D;...because it is seriously ridiculous that a size 12 is considered plus sized :/...if thats the case then 90%+ of the population is "Plus-sized." So time to change what's considered the norm in the fashion industry.

Last edited by baker23; 03-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #6  

I was reading a blog entry on Black Girl's Guide to Weight Loss
http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.c...-in-magazines/
I think that she says something like "fantasy sells" thats not to say all women feel this way, but a sizable number will buy when they look at a "fantasy" - this idea that hey maybe I'll look like that if I buy this (maybe its unconscious or something?)

Anyways, I'm more concerned about the age and not really the size of the models. 13 year old girls working in that industry and to be considered "old" when you hit your 20s yikes.
I saw Sarah Ziff's documentary picture me about runway models (I saw one of them in a subway!! Her skin is so perfect it looks photoshopped even in real life LOL) and how she was saying that a lot of them are young teens, from another country with no education and offered quick, and large sums of money, but also put under a lot of debt because the agency gives them their housing etc. I'm not saying teens can't be models, but at that age, there should be some more regulations.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #7  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

They said on America's Next Top Model that a plus size model is anywhere from a size 8 to a 14. It's definitely in the lower range of the plus size world, and most of those girls are probably only those sizes because of the way their weight is distributed. And the size 14s I can guarantee you are a 14 regular and not a 14 in women's. I've always been frustrated with this.

But the funny thing is, those models are actually what I hope to look like one day. XD
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
They said on America's Next Top Model that a plus size model is anywhere from a size 8 to a 14. It's definitely in the lower range of the plus size world, and most of those girls are probably only those sizes because of the way their weight is distributed. And the size 14s I can guarantee you are a 14 regular and not a 14 in women's. I've always been frustrated with this.

But the funny thing is, those models are actually what I hope to look like one day. XD
I saw Ana Beatriz Barros - she's worth googling if ur not at work, and it was crazy cause she has my dream body. I'm OK with never looking like her, as I am like a billion inches shorter but I was pretty star struck LOL. she had such a long, delicate pretty curvy bone structure and her eyes were amazing.
For some reason, seeing VS models inspires me to "step up my game" and work with what I got LOL-I can't do all that they do before a show and even if I did I wouldn't look like them, but still it kinda gives me a boost to be my personal best
Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Remember, even aside from the photoshop, that many models are quite young (teens and twenties) so that helps with having very good skin, which . I am in my 40s and teach college students and am reminded of that every day....

But if you look at some "before and after photoshop" galleries that might make you feel better too. Here's one for that girl who was on the front of Sports Illustrated.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #10  

Their skin is way better than mine, at my teens and 20s, but its OK modeling is competitive, so its no surprise!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Since when do women "of a certain size" have no lumps, bumps, stretch marks or anything?! Smooth skin and healthy curves as far as the eye can see. (Disclaimer: don't get me wrong, I know about photoshop but it's the principle of the thing!!!!!!!!!!)
You know what you are seeing is photoshopped and NOT reality. Yet you decide to talk to yourself badly?

Quote:
Ughhhhhhhh. Will I ever feel good about myself half naked?
Well... when you decide to stop beating yourself up about it.

Stop feeding the bad dog. It isn't doing anything for you.

If you need help to learn how to stop using old think, that's fine. But until the thought pattern changes, I don't know how else.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-25-2012 at 08:41 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Photoshop can turn Godzilla into Elle Macphearson. Literally. And as was said before, fantasy sells. I cut and pasted the paragraph below from a fashion model site. No one in normal life maintains that type of size. Imagine 5'-9" and 108 pounds - the shortest height and lowest weight given. That's a BMI of about 16.4. Way underweight.

"Mainstream range - 5'9" to 5'11" with outer fringe being 5'8" to 6" with the extremely rare exception down to 5'5" and as tall as 6'1". Thin - puts weight at 108 to 130lbs in proportional to height. This puts dress size 6-8 with the desired figure around 34B-24-34. This can range some but waist no larger the 25" and maximum hips 35 ½." Beginning models start modeling in the age range of 13-19 and if you have not made it by twenty it is over."

Makes me want to jump off a bridge at age 61, 5'-7", and 160 pounds! LOL

Lin

Edited to say - 5'-8" and 108 pounds is not a size 6 - no matter what the article says!

Last edited by linJber; 03-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #13  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

For those who mentioned: yes, I get that it is photoshopped, that's why I mentioned that in my post. Knowing that doesn't always make it easier.
I was just venting.
I am very pleased in how much better I look in underwear than I did at 283 and I'll be fine with my stretch marks without many lumps and bumps at my goal weight because they are souvenirs of the difficult journey I've been on in this life.
Like everyone, I have my moments of negativity, but I also celebrate my body and my successes.
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #14  

My friend is a "plus size actress". She's a 14/16. Yep. And you'd think she was very heavy if you saw her on tv but not if you met her IRL. Being surrounded by all those size 0s and size 2s really skew the perspective.
Muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Good genetics too. I've seen some plus size women with flawless skin
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote