Trouble getting started ---> FOOD - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Default Trouble getting started ---> FOOD

Hi all!

I am having some trouble getting started with any real or consistant weight loss. I have pinpointed my problem with food. I'm hoping to share some of my thoughts and concerns here in an effort to get some genuine feedback and suggestions. Please bare with me I will try to keep this short.

I am 5'3" and weigh 278 (as of this morning). I am trying to lose weight and do it slowly and in a sustainable way. I have plenty of work out options ranging from walking outside, a bike and elliptical at work that I can use, and a slew of workout DVD's at home. Exercise is not my problem....I have the move more part covered....its the eat less part that I am struggling with.

So here are some things I'm struggling with on the food front:

#1. I absolutely refuse to do any drastic or fad diet. I will not cut out food groups or certain foods. I want to learn how to eat properly and from time to time indulge in things that I like. I believe this is a doable thing. If I cut foods out entirely then I know I will fail.

#2. I have a really bad habit about being too lazy to cook or pre-prep meals. Then when I am running late for work....I end up not eating breakfast....not having prepared snacks and lunches. This means I resort to school food (I'm a teacher) and vending machines.....or fast food as it is quick and easy but equals lots of calories.

#3. I am too picky....If I have to eat crap like cottage cheese and fruit, I will throw up. I really don't like fruits or veggies....so I'm struggling making myself eat these things.

#4. I feel like I don't stay full or satisfied long enough. I try to eat 3 meals with two snacks (1 between each meal), but I still feel like I am starving all the time.

#5. This is the biggest one....I have NO CLUE what to eat. I feel like I eat the same things over and over and then I get tired of it and quit. Usually something like....grilled chicken, green beans, and corn on the cob or something like that.

Anyways...if you have any suggestions please suggest them...LOL!
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You've come to the right place. Plenty of people here who know their stuff and have "been there". I'll address your points one at a time...

#1. Calories dictate fat loss or gain. I'd suggest starting with a free calorie counting program and the foods you currently like to eat.

#2. See #1 and track everything you eat whether it comes from your kitchen or a vending machine.

#3. See #1 then Google the "twinkie diet".

#4. You don't know what starving is. Really, you don't. You might have a broken ticker. I'd go to a doctor and get it checked out. That said my guess is your diet is primarily consists of processed foods which do little to satisfy.

#5. See #1. You can get started with "unhealthy" foods and over time begin eating less processed foods.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

You're starving because you're feeding your body stuff it has absolutely no idea what to do with!!!

Our bodies need FOOD. Not corn syrup, not monosodiumglutinate, not chemicals. FOOD.

You can lose weight eating nothing but Snickers and Big Macs but you're going to feel like booty, your insides are going to be a mess, and you're going to be starving.

Start slow with the healthy stuff, never say never!!!

Grilled chicken and green beans are great! What else do you like? You say you hate fruits and veggies, what have you tried? What is it that you hate about them? You will be so much more successful if you have an open mind about food .

You can do this!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #4  

@ JohnP - Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

Not really sure what you mean about a broken ticker. I have recently had full lipid profile ran. My total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure all fell in the normal range.

I know you are right....I know I'm not really starving. Many times I'm probably not even hungry. I know I'm an emotional eater.....I'm bored...I eat....I'm stressed...I eat....I'm mad...you get the point. I gotta fix that. AND I need to drink more water. I have heard sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger.

Again thank you!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Grilled chicken and green beans are great! What else do you like? You say you hate fruits and veggies, what have you tried? What is it that you hate about them? You will be so much more successful if you have an open mind about food .

You can do this!

I know your right! I'm just stubborn!!! I like strawberries, apples, seedless grapes, watermelon, and bananas. I think my problem is that I have to prep them by washing and cutting, etc AND lately it seems like no matter what I get it tastes really tart/bitter/sour. I have wondered if it is due to pesticides, but there isn't anywhere around where I live to buy organic fruits.

I'm not opposed to eating things like squash and zuccini; however, I just don't know what to do with them other than a little EVOO and some salt/pepper/seasonings. That gets so boring. I need some ideas for side dishes that use veggies that aren't all carb/starches like corn and white potatoes.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #6  

I keep apples and peanut butter and a half gallon of skim milk at work for my breakfast. Monday - Friday I eat a gala apple with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a cup of skim milk. I heard somewhere that a 300-400 calorie breakfast was best. So that one is mine. It's just under 400 calories and has protein, fat, fruit and dairy.

I'm using the Lose It! App and started not far from where you are now. I've lost more than 50 pounds in 6 months simply because of this app. Well, and my continued desire to use the app. I liked it because I eased into the way I eat now.

At first, I ate Taco Johns 3 or 4 times a week. 3 softshell tacos for 570 calories was perfect for me. Now, I only do tacos on Taco Tuesday. Not to mention that my desire to prep my own food has gone up a lot. For me, it's convenient. When my coffee is brewing in the morning, I put 6 slices of land of frost ham or turkey between two slices of 35 calorie bread along with lettuce and tomato. I have 27 cheezits, a serving of veggies (i'm in love with sweet peppers) 12 dark cocoa dusted almonds and another cup of skim milk.

This is my routine. I like it for now, but totally get where you are coming from about getting bored with food.

During the winter, I was really digging the light progresso soups.

I've never stuck to anything this long in my entire life, and I've been chubby since my teens. I've never lost this much weight. I've never felt like this is a new way of being versus I'm on a diet.

I still indulge plenty - no one love bourbon, wine, cheese, and chocolate more than me. I just make sure it's high quality and worth it!

You can do this. I highly recommend Lose It. It's what has worked for me.
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl View Post
You can do this. I highly recommend Lose It. It's what has worked for me.
I actually have that app! It is amazing! I only have internet on my iPod when I'm at work though so I can't take pics of barcodes at home and record my food that way. I need to give that a try and stick with it!

Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenziesmomma View Post
Not really sure what you mean about a broken ticker. I have recently had full lipid profile ran. My total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure all fell in the normal range.
Hormones control hunger so I thought perhaps something was up. Based on your other post I just read it is clear this isn't the case.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Yes it starts with eating foods you like, but counting the calories. If you are feeling hungry you should add foods with more fiber and protein. Also, soup is a fabulous way to make you feel a lot fuller. Only downside is LOTS of sodium, but if you are heart healthy you will be ok to start.

Soup would be the easiest thing to bring to work...Like the healthy choice or campbells healthy request are good..soups 200 calories and under for the whole can. Bring a micro bowl and spoon..and you're done! I find it fills me up way more than a lean cuisine.

All in all the food starts at the grocery store. You should take some time when you go next, and read EVERY label. What is a serving, how much, what is in it for protein..fiber..calories per serving. I also recommend for home a digital scale...far easier to prep food and just measure out yourself a bowl a cereal. Good luck!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone! I feel much better! NowI just need to find some ideas for different foods.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #11  
go ticker go!

S/C/G: 291/245.4/195

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenziesmomma View Post

#4. I feel like I don't stay full or satisfied long enough. I try to eat 3 meals with two snacks (1 between each meal), but I still feel like I am starving all the time.
I can relate to this. When I first started, in October, I can tell you that for about the first 3 weeks to a month, I felt hungry all the time but I figured my appetite HAD to adjust some time, stuck it out and it did. I can now no longer eat the portions and some of the types of food I used to.

I know sometimes fruit tastes sour - after you have been eating it all the time and not sweets it will taste a lot sweeter. The other day my brother in law told me the oranges my parents had on the counter were really sour - I had one and it was super sweet to me! Doesn't meet I don't eat sweets - I do still sometimes - but I don't crave them all the time and fruit satisfies that sweet craving like it never did before.

Hang in there! It gets easier!

Jen
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Hi! I have been doing this for about 6 weeks. So, I am no where near a rocket scientist on this. However wanted to say....

#1. I have not cut out anything. Well, that isn't true...I gave up sweets but, that was for Lent not for the diet. I eat anything I dang well please. But, lets say I have a 800 calorie breakfast(almost did that yesterday at Golden Corral.) Well then, I only have 400 the rest of the day. So salads become my friend. As long as I stay within calories I eat what I like.

#2. We eat out almost every single meal. I know that sounds bad but, we are busy. Work, school for us(hubby and I), school for kids, kids activites...etc. There are healthy options at the fast food places. My trainer said...check their website for their nutritional info. I eat a lot of salads. Taco Bell has great chicken soft tacos. If you get them on the fresco menu they are 150 calories. If you like chicken you can get grilled chicken most places. It gets easier with time...I promise.

#3. Not a fruit or veggie eater either. I have started eating some. A banana here. Some broccoli there. Start slow. Don't go full on veggies and fruits all day everyday.

#4.The fullness thing may be what you are eating. I used to eat a huge breakfast burrito(or2) every morning. I now eat a small bowl of oatmeal. It was a huge change at first. But, I learned I needed to not THINK about it. I willed my mind to think it was enough food. It will take time. You may be hungry for a few days. It will get easier. I suggest you make sure you eat things that are more filling when you first start. Eat a salad with a meal. It helps a lot.

#5. On days when I am lazy I do eat the same things. But, if I invest some time(10-15 mins on the weekend) I can come up with ideas for the weeks worth of food. Go to the grocery store and check the labels. There is so much stuff that is low cal that you would never think you could find.

Good luck.
erh12275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #13  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

S/C/G: 178/172/130

Height: 5'

<~~~Teacher too.....one thing I have found is that I keep low cal/low fat bars in my desk to eat when I don't eat breakfast at home or forget my lunch. Some that I have are Nature Valley Granola Thins, Fiber One 90 cal products (brownies and bars)
peachypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
#1. I absolutely refuse to do any drastic or fad diet. I will not cut out food groups or certain foods. I want to learn how to eat properly and from time to time indulge in things that I like. I believe this is a doable thing. If I cut foods out entirely then I know I will fail.
Fair enough. Do you understand proper portions? How's the drinks?

Quote:
#2. I have a really bad habit about being too lazy to cook or pre-prep meals. Then when I am running late for work....I end up not eating breakfast....not having prepared snacks and lunches. This means I resort to school food (I'm a teacher) and vending machines.....or fast food as it is quick and easy but equals lots of calories.
So is frozen food not an option? Do you have microwave at work? Or microwave at home and pack up in the Mr Bento type thermal jar?

Quote:
#3. I am too picky....If I have to eat crap like cottage cheese and fruit, I will throw up. I really don't like fruits or veggies....so I'm struggling making myself eat these things.
Are you a texture person? It matters to my DH -- raw apple, fine. Applesauce? No WAY.

Quote:
Are you also calorie counting? Could you be too low? It's usually 4 hrs or so between meals, and mixed meals with protein, carbs, fats are best for satiety.

Quote:
#5. This is the biggest one....I have NO CLUE what to eat. I feel like I eat the same things over and over and then I get tired of it and quit. Usually something like....grilled chicken, green beans, and corn on the cob or something like that.
Maybe you'd do better on exchanges? Then you know you need to cover X fruits, Y veggies, Z protein, etc.?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #15  

I have to try especially hard to find healthy meals that meet the picky eaters (me & hubby) in our house.

To eat healthier, I started by subing foods, for example: egg whites & turkey sausage/Bacon for breakfast. By doing this, I'm cutting some of the bad stuff but keeping our lives normal (for us).

It is hard, we aren't big veggie eaters, but we're getting there. We had grilled solder tenderloin (beef) with baked broccoli and corn on the cob for dinner tonight. This type of change wasn't easy for either of us but we worked and worked to build up to this type of meal.

Some people need snacks & others don't. I found I don't do as well when I have snacks, so i stopped packing them in my lunch & I feel better.

About the eating out... I make breakfast & lunch for both of us each day. It takes time but it will become a routine.
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote