Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/170.0/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Exciting things going on!

Hi everyone! I wanted to share something that really excited me this morning. I weighed in at 176.5 and I am only 1 pound away from a BMI of 29.9!

Also, my boyfriend and I are starting P90x this Saturday. We are only planning on doing that once a week or so. I work out on my own so I won't depend on him working out with me in order to workout. I had a question: what size weights should we use? I was thinking of 3, 5, and 8 for myself and 5, 8, and 10 for him.
playfulturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Congratulations! That's a great milestone.

As for P90X, the weights you will need will vary, depending on your level of fitness and which exercises you're doing. You can definitely start with the weights you have listed above, but until you get to doing it, it's hard to say. I've used from 10's all the way to 35's I think. Good luck. It's pretty intense if you go at it like they do on the videos.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I think your boyfriend especially will find that he wants heavier weights than that pretty quickly. I'm a girl and I use 15-20 pounds for most of the exercises in P90X. I've been doing it for a long time now, but even when I started I was using 10-15 pound weights. It depends on the strength you've already built up, but don't be afraid of going heavy.

The program isn't really set up to be done just once a week, though. You work different muscle groups in each strength training video and it's important to work all of them regularly. My sister and I do the three weight workouts on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, and then substitute our own cardio/yoga the rest of the week on our own.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/170.0/135

Height: 5'4"

I would love to do the workouts more often than once a week, but we both have different schedules and he isn't really as motivated as I am to work out and lose weight. Since the videos are pretty intense, I feel like we would need to recover for a few days after anyways.

Were all the workouts over an hour? And are yoga blocks necessary? I've read that some people use them. I'm pretty flexible, my boyfriend isn't so is that an investment worth making?
playfulturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I'm almost halfway through P90x now. I started under 10 for my triceps, and then now I am able to do 10s. For biceps I started with ten..now up to 15s and about to go to 20s. I would keep 8s, 10,s 12s, 15s, and 20s on hand. Again that depends on your strength too. He says for leaness go for 12 reps. See how many reps you can do before hand to gauge yourself!

The p90x works well to lose weight IF you also diet. You will see some new muscles for sure too!

All workouts are under an hour except YOGA. We don't do yoga...lol. We have been pretty good for the first half about doing it almost every day (aside the last 2 weeks..me being sick and us traveling). If you follow the plan you shouldn't be handicapped on your other workouts as it does..weights...cardio...weights...yoga (I do cardio)....weights, cardio...stretch or rest..

I have a thread journaling my p90x experience on the Fitness Video forum...it helps me keep track of my own program and I usually write down what amount of calories I eat too.

Good luck! It's not too shabby!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote