Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Conquering the buffet...Ugh.

I had a pretty decent work out tonight, but my parents took me out to get chinese food. I ate pretty well, too. I had a plate of hibachi noodles with veggies and some shrimp, a couple wontons, a spring roll, sushi, and hot n' sour soup. It was good, but now I feel bad about myself..
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #2  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

If I can't control what I eat at a buffet (not that I'm saying you were out of control at all), there is no reason for me to be there.
Most overweight people can't help themselves at buffets and go way overboard. I've always just avoided them on the principle that I don't like other people's hands/breath/coughs all over my food. There is ONE Chinese buffet in our city that I will go get to-go boxes from, but I've stopped eating there too because I LOVE Chinese food and it is not at all conducive to me losing weight.

Sounds like you did pretty good though. Don't get down on yourself. You're allowed to splurge every once in awhile!
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #3  

If you know you have trouble resisting temptation, I would talk to your parents and ask them not to play devil's advocate. At the same time, you need to train yourself to say no. I know at the beginning it's a lot harder, but eventually you will be able to say no. I will also say that you might try drinking a glass of water before digging in and don't try and clean your plate! I will agree with the above though in that it doesn't sound like you went too overboard, so don't beat yourself up over it! Just take it one day at a time. You'll do better tomorrow!
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Buffets make me cringe. "Cold" food is rarely kept cold enough, especially when it is mayo based. In addition, I've seen way too many yucky things go on to enjoy any food. Everyone coughing, sneezing, grabbing serving utinsles without washing afterwards, kids (and sometimes adults) picking from the buffet. It's just all.... ew.

All in all though, you went to a buffet and you did OK. There is absolutely no reason to feel bad about yourself. Calculate your calories, points, whatever you're doing, track it and move on. Maybe consider how you might handle this situation in the world but don't beat yourself up.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

Sounds like you did ok especially at a Chinese food Buffet. I hate hate hate buffets. Its like I don't have any hope of portion control(thats how I got obese to begin with) and I get "little tastes" of things that do add up even though i don't think they do and I watch everyone around me pig out. My family knows that I do not like buffets. My husband who is less than 10lbs overweight can't control himself at a buffet either. He always eats himself sick and then complains about going ugh
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You did well at the buffet, don't feel bad about yourself

I know I advocate for everything in moderation, say that I go out to eat, etc. but buffets are one place that I avoid. I will not go. If my friends suggest it I will outright refuse to go hang out with them if they truly want to go there.

I haven't been to a buffet in over a year and I'm looking to keep it that way. Honestly it's more of a cost thing than anything else!! I get full on so little food that it's pretty much a waste of money for me to go. In a regular restaurant you can at least take the leftovers with you—you certainly can't do that at a buffet!

If you feel like buffets are too much temptation, then refuse to go. It's hard to initially learn to say no when people are persistent, but it gets easier over time. I'm a pain in the a** sometimes when it comes to places to eat, but I'm not about to just be nice and blow all of my hard work.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

We have a delicious little locally owned Chinese Buffet restaurant in a small town near us and the food is all made from scratch and SOOOO GOOOOD. I have to tell you, that for the first 9 months of my weight loss I would not step into the place. I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself.

Finally, down the road, I decided to give it a try, (and my family was dearly missing the place). Because it's small and local, they have no nutritional info, so I went on-line and looked up calories at different popular Chinese restaurants and averaged them. I choose foods that I knew our local place had.

I was shocked at how many calories are just a bowl of the hot and sour soup...and an egg roll wonton, wow. Mega calories. Anyway, I calculated a 700 calorie meal up before stepping foot in the place. Filled my plate, (not much food) and sat down and ate it. I literally forced myself to not get up again. It really was not worth it, I was hungry again within an hour, and I felt sorry for myself.

Anyway, I still go occasionally and do okay, but it's so hard to go in there and watch people gorge themselves, (especially the obese people who look like me back in my days morbid obesity). I always leave feeling bad, even though I don't over-do it.

If you can't handle going, don't.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I LOVE buffets! It is a crutch for me! Although I have done better now days. I do my best to avoid piles of rice or other carbs that you can eat at home if you really want. I love white rice, but it is such a waste of calories when there is other yummy things I won't get at home!

I usually take a plate and put about 5 things on there...little servings of each. I try them all, because more often than not I don't like half (looks good, tastes like doodie). If I really do not enjoy one of the foods, I do NOT eat it. I know it is wasteful, but I would rather leave room to try another food, or get another small serving of what I like.

So, yes buffets can be nightmares to even "guestimate" what amount of calories are in foods...but at least enjoy the things that you DO eat!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #9  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

The last time I went to a buffet (I think over a year ago), I took a dinner plate, and pilled on the veggies. I made a great cranberry-spinach salad with basalmic dressing on the side.
I found it filled me up a lot, and I avoided everything fried or in heavy sauce.
But unless I was to really pig out, I did not get my $$'s worth I should have just declined to go, and use my cash to buy groceries.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #10  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I think the reason most people have problems with buffets is that they see all this available food, and sub-consciously think: "Hey, I wanna get my money's worth!" - and over-eat as a result. It helps me to remember that IN GENERAL - you pay less for a buffet than you would a regular meal off the menu. And the food you consume is about the same!

When faced with the umpteen billion choices at a buffet, I try to remember that I'm paying the same price whether I over-eat or under-eat or eat just a regular amount. That usually helps me level the playing field! I also tend to go for the very best food - I won't eat anything that I eat at home on a regular basis or anything that isn't 100% delicious. And the "no seconds" rule is a must (for me).

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 02-23-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Buffets around here are $30 for mediocre food, so we just never go - with the exception of one recently that we didn't know was a buffet until we got there, but they had sushi and crab legs so I was happy with that.

I'd much rather spend $30 on an entree from a decent restaurant and take home the leftovers than eat $10 worth of only two buffet items that I'd really feel good about eating.

Then again, I'd rather make my own food because it tastes good

I do love Chinese takeout, though. I've mentioned this a few times before, but I just order from the plain steamed diet menu (I like the chicken and broccoli) and just the sauce sparingly, just a drizzle. Yum!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #12  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I tried going to a buffet a couple months ago. I didn't completely blow it, but I did eat much more than I should have. Portion control is definitely one of my issues.

You may want to avoid the buffet for a while. I find it much easier to order a healthy meal off a menu. It's hard to turn down carby, fatty food that is right under my nose.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<Everyone coughing, sneezing, grabbing serving utinsles without washing afterwards, kids (and sometimes adults) picking from the buffet. It's just all.... ew. >>

All very good points. I think I'll be passing on buffets from now on, except the type where they bring your food as you order it (like all-you-can-eat sushi).

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote