Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #1  
SanityNow

Default The Power of Habit

Want to share what has happened with me the past couple of days. I've been off work for a while and using the time to get healthy. My usual day has been to get out of the house early, get exercise, do my stuff, and then to be home in the evening. During this time, I've been taking in most of my calories before 5pm: breakfast, snack, lunch the major meal, and then a little something before bed. I've been happy with this schedule and dropping weight. I'm also following my body's hunger signal and it's been without effort.

The past couple days, though, I've been leaving the house in the late afternoon to take classes and getting home around the same time I would if I were working. And I've been picking up dinner on my way home. The same stuff I did when I was working. And I'm not hungry! I was thinking about it this morning and wondering why I've been doing this and it dawned on my that coming home in the evening triggered the evening work food habit

I find this both amazing and scary. How the draw of the comfort of a habit can kinda sneak up on me. Wow. I mean, now that I see what's going on I'll stop, but what a lesson.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanityNow View Post
Want to share what has happened with me the past couple of days. I've been off work for a while and using the time to get healthy. My usual day has been to get out of the house early, get exercise, do my stuff, and then to be home in the evening. During this time, I've been taking in most of my calories before 5pm: breakfast, snack, lunch the major meal, and then a little something before bed. I've been happy with this schedule and dropping weight. I'm also following my body's hunger signal and it's been without effort.

The past couple days, though, I've been leaving the house in the late afternoon to take classes and getting home around the same time I would if I were working. And I've been picking up dinner on my way home. The same stuff I did when I was working. And I'm not hungry! I was thinking about it this morning and wondering why I've been doing this and it dawned on my that coming home in the evening triggered the evening work food habit

I find this both amazing and scary. How the draw of the comfort of a habit can kinda sneak up on me. Wow. I mean, now that I see what's going on I'll stop, but what a lesson.
Same thing with me! Even back in high school, i remember it being an automatic thing to want to eat as soon as i got home from school. Or returned home from anywhere really. It was like this conditioned response, i guess because normally i'd go home for meals.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #3  
SanityNow

Interesting...and before the habit reappeared, I would have a big glass of water when I got home and that was good.

Back to Water...