Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

I went up 5 lbs with Aunt Flo. Could it be your TOM?
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #17  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That's pretty crazy - I'd say inflammation, either due to your dietary choices, exercise, hormones, or all three - is the culprit. Watch the sugar, grains, and dairy. Cut those out for a week or two as much as you possibly can, and see if it doesn't make a dramatic difference. If you are working out, take a rest and refeed day or change up the kind of exercise you are doing to rest the muscle groups you are using most.

And last - if all else fails, take a scale break. If you are truly eating nutritious, low inflammatory foods and retaining that kind of water, you're just going to make yourself insane and upset if you know you are doing all the right things and the short term results are lacking. IF everything is perfect, stop measuring with anything but a measuring tape for a week, preferably even a month. I rarely recommend scale breaks because most dieters need that accountability, but don't make yourself crazy, either.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #18  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
That's pretty crazy - I'd say inflammation, either due to your dietary choices, exercise, hormones, or all three - is the culprit. Watch the sugar, grains, and dairy. Cut those out for a week or two as much as you possibly can, and see if it doesn't make a dramatic difference. If you are working out, take a rest and refeed day or change up the kind of exercise you are doing to rest the muscle groups you are using most.

And last - if all else fails, take a scale break. If you are truly eating nutritious, low inflammatory foods and retaining that kind of water, you're just going to make yourself insane and upset if you know you are doing all the right things and the short term results are lacking. IF everything is perfect, stop measuring with anything but a measuring tape for a week, preferably even a month. I rarely recommend scale breaks because most dieters need that accountability, but don't make yourself crazy, either.
I find it so hard to cut out dairy. The problem is I'm on vacation next week so I don't want to restrict too much, since I won't have a whole lot to do and am afraid I will eat myself silly hahaha.

I do know some of my measurements went down, and a couple went up. Mostly the sore areas went up, so that must be where I'm holding my water weight.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #19  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I gained that much very quickly when I went for low carb to eating carbs over the holidays and most of it went right to my gut. Why? I was replenishing my glycogen stores. I would gain 4 pounds overnight if I ate dessert and nibbled on cookies. I'm not talking binging, just going from not eating that stuff, to eating that stuff. But, it came off pretty quickly too... Only the remaining fat of too many calories remained - 4 of the 14 pounds I gained.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #20  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
Does your scale need new batteries?
this

Or more likely just broken

Last edited by ennay; 02-01-2012 at 01:31 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

It could be water weight if you ate a lot of sodium. At 124 I have gained 7 lbs in one day after a dinner of sushi, miso soup, and alcohol. It took about 10 days for it to fully come off.

Just stay on track and keep us posted over the next few days. Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #22  
the aly bagel

I weighed today, down to 197, only a 3lb loss but I hope it's a start to it going back down.

I drank water and ginger tea last night hoping it would help me shed more water and I woke up today as thirsty as a horse in the desert. Is that normal?

I've already mentioned I tested my scale and it's weighing accurately.

Last edited by schubunny; 02-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

How late did you drink it? I find that if I drink anything within an hour or so before bed, I'm heavier in the morning. I don't know why that is AT ALL, but I know when I wake up really having to pee, my weigh in is not going to be great.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #24  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
How late did you drink it? I find that if I drink anything within an hour or so before bed, I'm heavier in the morning. I don't know why that is AT ALL, but I know when I wake up really having to pee, my weigh in is not going to be great.
Oh no But I don't have much of a choice, I don't have time to drink all the water at work since it's so busy, and I have about 2 hours until I go to bed once I get home.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<At 124 I have gained 7 lbs in one day after a dinner of sushi, miso soup, and alcohol. >>

Wow, that's a good thing for me to remember the next time I go out for all-you-can-eat sushi! (One of our family's favourite meals and an occasional indulgence I'm not willing to give up.)

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #26  
the aly bagel

I feel really horrible today and dissapointed. Weight is still 196, and my hips went up 3 inches!!! What happened? I'm about ready to just throw in the towel.

I have a feeling it's the strength training ruining everything, but I can't afford the gym right now and I hate running or walking in the freezing cold.

Should I stop exercising for a few days and just concentrate on my calories and see if this bloating stops? I've run out of ideas and Googling.

Really depressing day.