Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 95/81/75 kg (211/178/165 lbs)

Height: 5'5"

Default reasons for sudden weight gain?

hi all,

just a quick question - mainly want to hear some advice to ease my mind as i've been slightly panicking over this.

i weighed myself 3 days ago and my weight was just below 88kg (like 87.8kg). yesterday morning i weighed in at 88.7! almost a kilo up! i thought it would go away by this morning so weighed again and i was still hovering at the 88.6-88.9 mark. i don't understand this at all... this is heavier than i've been in two weeks!

can anybody give me some indications as to why this has happened? i'm not nearing my period, i haven't eaten an excessive amount of salt recently, i've consumed roughly the same amount of water during exercise as i usually do. the only out of the ordinary thing i did this week was on wednesday, i did a leaflet drop for a bit of extra cash and so walked around in the middle of the day for about 3 - 4 hours. the walk was at a fairly easy pace although it was very hot (i live in australia) and i didn't drink as much water as i should have done. could this be it, since walking for that amount of time is unusual for me? also, i got burnt that day and so i took a multivitamin (don't usually take one) and i accidentally took a couple of some amino acid tablets my brother takes since he lifts heavy (i thought they were paracetamol!). he assures me it's just for muscle rebuild and there isn't testosterone or anything nasty in them!

any advice is appreciated, i'm not losing very fast (only lost almost 3 kg this month and was hoping for more) and i am feeling so very disappointed at being back up there and feeling like i haven't accomplished anything. i just don't understand how i could have gained back a kilo of weight this week

Last edited by Satellites; 12-02-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Satellites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #2  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

It water weight. Working your muscles more (during your walk) will make them retain water. Getting sun burned will also make you retain water. Just drink lots of water to help your body rebuild itself.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #3  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
It water weight. Working your muscles more (during your walk) will make them retain water. Getting sun burned will also make you retain water. Just drink lots of water to help your body rebuild itself.
ITA with this post! Dang water retention.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #4  

I know you said you aren't nearing your period but are you mid-cycle? I weigh daily and after many years can finally see a distinct pattern of about a 2-3 pound gain mid month around ovulation. Then a slightly less significant gain the week leading up to TOM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Yup. Water weight.

Next time something like this happens, try to keep in mind that weight loss is not an exact science 100% of the time. Our bodies are strange machines. Fluctuations are NORMAL. It's what goes on "over all" that equals weight loss (or gain).
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

My weight can go anywhere from 1-5 lbs from one morning to another. Water weight, heavier food, etc. It happens
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #7  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

Fluctuations happen. It's a normal process. Like many have already stated, it may be just water weight. It's nothing to be concerned about. I know a 2 lb gain can cause frustrations but you shouldn't let that concern you.

When you can't pull your jeans past your thighs or button them is when you should be concerned.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Sunburn and exercise both cause temporary water retention, so don't worry. By the way, 3kg/month is actually a pretty fast rate of loss.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 95/81/75 kg (211/178/165 lbs)

Height: 5'5"

thanks everyone!
i figured it was probably water weight but it's still just so disheartening

GlamourGirl827 - i am mid cycle, so i guess that might also be a contributing factor! i woke this morning feeling very bloated and have stayed that way all day (tummy visibly protruding more) so it definitely could be due to ovulation.

last question: how long does water weight usually stick around? i am still weighing higher today - if it doesn't go away in a week does that mean it's more "true" than water weight?
Satellites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #10  

This is what I've noticed. When TOM hits, within a day I "lose" the water weight. The week to 2 weeks following is when I see weight loss. Then mid cycle, I see a gain. After about 4-5 days, I can usually see that weight loss come off, and get back to the weight before the water gain. But then after a few days, I see a little gain that just stays until after TOM, then I see the water loss, and real weight loss.
My guess is I am slowly losing during the second half of TOM, at the same time I am slowly "gaining" water weight leading up to TOM, but since I'm also losing real weight, it shows up as this plateau I usually see a week or so before TOM. Then when the water weight come off aftee TOM I get an accurate reading.
I've heard other women express this as well. But for years I really wasn't getting it, and I thought I was gaining weight and didnt know why, or I wasn't losing despite being on plan...It drove me nuts.
Of course if I were to have a huge meal one night or something super salty, I'd see a little issue, but it would only last for a day for me. (like I'd see it in the morning when I weigh)
Now that I understand how my body works, weighing daily is not a abd thing for me, as it once was when I saw the numbers on the scale as a reflection of my eating habits.
If you track your weight and cycles for a few months, you will probably start to see a pattern. So in the future you will know that a gain is from your cycle and not something you did wrong. Also, I can now tell exactly when TOM is going to happen by the scale!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote