Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #1  

Default Anyone had success with slim fast?

I wanted to find out if any of you ladies out there have ever had real success with slim fast? I have a client that is using it and it does not appear to be working for her. I am trying to be encouraging and I have given her my honest opinion on the subject. Which is those little shakes would flip me out! If someone said her is your lunch. I would automatically feel like it was not going to be enough. Which I think is what her problem is. She eats it and then is hungry so of course she eats again. Honestly I have seen a lot of skinny people use them and I think they have success because they are not big eaters to begin with! I told her I would check on her for some advice? Thanks!

Beth
Old 01-30-2003, 11:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I've only tried slimfast once & I didn't last a day because the shakes made me gag. Also, I strongly believe that long term weight loss (i.e. lose it & keep it off forever) is not about dieting, it's changing your eating habits for long term success. So unless you just happen to LOVE slimfast shakes, I doubt anybody would want to consume them for lunch forever. I think you are much more likely to succeed if you learn portion control and how to make wise food choices (WW can be a great resource for these skills).
Old 01-30-2003, 01:24 PM   #3  
ebe
noob

i think slim fast is one of those things that works short term but the shakes are completely nasty and who in their right mind wants to drink them for the rest of their miserable lives...ugh

the meal replacement bars are pretty darn tasty, the chocolate cookie dough is so yummy but they are not very good for you and you could probably get the same results eating a snickers for breakfast and lunch.....i mean think about it, relatively the same amount of calories and thats what it all boils down to...

after i read the ingredients i was pretty put off that anyone would market that as a healthy alternative to fresh, whole foods. human beings like to eat its a natural part of being alive i dont blame your client for not having results with that stuff...how do they even stay in business i wonder...
Old 01-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #4  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

There was a post on the General Diet Plans Thread under "Slimfast Question" a few weeks back with a lot of info and differing opinions. You might want to check there.

As for me, I've begun exercising and have been using Slimfast for about 3 mos. now, usually only for breakfast but sometimes for dinner too in the form of a shake. I'm not a big morning eater so this works for me. I use the soy protein formula which you mix w/water so this cuts down the calories even more so than the regular milk based one. I use a salad shaker cup to mix it up and it mixes real well w/ice...the flavor I use has replaced my morning coffee. The ready-mixed drinks in the can are pretty nasty and they taste like the can they came in. I drink a lot of water and incorporate friuts/veggies as in-between-meal snacks. I do not feel deprived, I eat healthy foods when I feel hungry. I've lost 27 lbs in 3 mos and am still working at it. So yes it does work to some degree, at least for me. Do I consider this success? Well, success will be keeping the weight off once I get to goal. A lot of people will slam the product and say that it's too high in sugar and low on protein, etc. While this may be true to some extent, I have been under the care of my physician who has given me the green-light to use this product and I will continue to do so until I get to the size, weight, health, etc that I want to be. And yes, I could use it once a day for the rest of my life. And that's my 2 cents on this matter.
Closed Thread