Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #16  
Forever Optimistic

S/C/G: 232/174/140

Height: 5'4"

Being diabetic means I'm constantly at odds with carbs. This summer I've concentrated on eating constant smaller meals with more veggies and fruits as my staples. More raw food too. Baby carrots, celery, tomatoes, radishes, okra. Dip any of these in ranch dressing and it's all so yummy I never feel deprived.

Since I really dont' like to cook, I stick with stuff I can make quickly and without a lot of effort. Prepackaged, prewashed veggies like carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. I can eat that raw with some dip or steam them.

For fruit, I eat apples, all kinds of melons, nectarines, cherries, peaches. Still working on the fruit thing, I actually find most fruit to be too sweet.

For protein, I eat eggs (usually hard boiled, baked chicken, various kinds of fish (e.g., talapia, salmon, catfish, tuna salad, sardines). Nuts of all kinds. They're very high in calories though so if you have no portion control when it comes to stuff like this, purchase single serving size packages. Or only eat a handful or two at a time just as a snack.

Love me some seafood. Red Lobster is an occasional treat. Shrimp is my favorite.

I eat CONSTANTLY, but I do lose weight. It's not how often you eat, it's what you eat and your portion sizes. Oh and don't forget to exercise.

Get a handle on this, and you'll eventually start losing weight.

Good luck!

Last edited by Napia; 09-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Napia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #17  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyDimples View Post
Oh wow, that's funny that it's so close. I still can't believe I'm going to be living in Alaska. Sure I knew there was a change he'd get stationed overseas so Germany, Korea entered my mind. But never Alaska! The few people I've talked to who live up there or did at some point all love it so I'm trying to keep an open mind.
I hope you like it. This is a great place for people that are into outdoors activities. But it's not a great place for people who love the city. Anchorage is a city, but a small one, and simply doesn't have everything that a big city has. The winters are long, and cold, and dark. I used to go stir crazy in the winter but then we started snowmobiling and now winters go fine because we're out every weekend riding snowmobiles. In the summer I enjoy hiking and riding ATV's and a little bit of fishing. Good luck to you and your husband!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #18  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Thanks kaplods for answer the what is TVP question.

I have also discovered that if I rehydrate it with water or broth I can add it to raw ground meat when making loaves and patties. I also add some into things like beef stew with barley, chicken noodle soup, stir-fry, casseroles of various types, etc. I put some in when I make plain grains too - rice, wheat, couscous, etc.

We eat lots of it around here. Neither of us minds it on its own as long as it is rehydrated with broth or strongly flavored water (one favorite is to use garlic water with a touch of hot sauce in it).

Last edited by FitGirlyGirl; 09-11-2011 at 08:47 AM.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote