Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

When I lose weight I always gain water right before a big drop. You've been losing the weight all along, you just cleared out some of the water from muscle fatigue and toxin removal. You may see some correction, you might not if you were unusually retaining.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #17  
I think I can...

This was suggested by the counselors when I was on LAWL it is a diuretic and basically helps with water weight. But hey 4 lbs is great!
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtara84 View Post
Okay-- lemon juice is acidic, NOT alkaline, so...this chick (the one giving the advice, not the OP) has no idea what she's talking about.

That said, the diuretic effect is interesting. I wouldn't be above trying that myself before a big event or something.
A lemon itself is acidic in terms of pH, but it has an alkaline effect on the body which is clearly what the advice giver would've been referring to.

So lol, clearly YOU are actually not sure what you're talking about. If you did, you would know that the pH of the food is not always related to the effects the food will have on the body once oxidized.
celly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #19  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly123 View Post
A lemon itself is acidic in terms of pH, but it has an alkaline effect on the body which is clearly what the advice giver would've been referring to.

So lol, clearly YOU are actually not sure what you're talking about. If you did, you would know that the pH of the food is not always related to the effects the food will have on the body once oxidized.
No. That's ridiculous. The ash products affect nothing but the pH of your urine - e.g. they are irrelevant. I'm assuming this alkaline effect on the body nonsense is related to Bronstead-Lowry acid-base theory, where an acid creates a conjugate base in equilibrium.

Citric acid oxidation-reduction reactions are an essential function in the body. Without it, you would die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

That does not mean that the foods create acidity or alkalinity in the stomach. If you really want to work through the equations, you'd see that whatever miniscule pH-altering material is not present in sufficient quantity to significantly alter the acid-base equilibria of the stomach (or any other part of the digestive tract) - most of the acids present in foods have a low dissociation constant (mostly weak, often relatively unreactive organic acids) and stomach acid is a very strong halic acid.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #20  
Doing it my way!

S/C/G: 199/176/160

Height: 5'5"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegroblers View Post
I wasn't exactly looking for a short cut/instant fix.

I work hard for my progress. I eat about 1300 cals a day (and I have to force myself or else I drop below that). And I gym six days a week, 1 - 1 1/2 hours a week. I was just hoping it would help jump start my weight-loss after a plateau.

Edit: I gym six days a week, 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day, not week .
Congrats on your loss! Keep up the good work! Many years ago, My sister suggested that I add lemons to my water as this was a habit that she'd developed while dieting. She claimed that it would "aid" a lil in my weight loss. Well, I tried it, and by the end of that week I'd lost 4 pounds! I was thrilled! I have never stopped adding lemons to my water til this day! I know that lemon juice acts as a diuretic, but I love the taste as well. As of late, I have started drinking a lot of SF iced tea with lemons, it is the only drink that I have besides water. I won't say it has done a lot for my weight loss, but I love the taste of it, I eliminate often (tmi) and my weight loss has been steady. I say If it works for you just do it! everyone has their "thing" that works for them when they are trying to lose weight.

Last edited by StephT; 09-02-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: ms
StephT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I think we shud discuss which food causes whoosh. For different ppl different food may be casing whoosh. Some times not exercising caushes whoosh.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly123 View Post

I posted a link in a previous post in this thread. Basically the alkaline-acid theory was developed in the early 19th century when we didn't know much about how the body worked. The idea has been thoroughly debunked. Your body doesn't change pH unless you experience something like kidney or lung failure at which point, well its 'not good'.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote