Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #16  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thin people aren't interested in eating when they're stressed, so they stop completely, or they feel queasy at the sight of food, too nervous to keep it down, so they don't dare eat.

These are both alien concepts to me, but thin people have told me these things as I looked at them in wonderment and tried to make my facial expression as caring & understanding as possible. Because anyone in distress deserves that much from me.

I'm in a flood plain that had a catastrophic flood in April 2007. My neighbors are evacuating. Some of them had water up to their ceilings on that date, with only 20 minutes' notice that the water was rising. I am leaving, too. I have entrusted some of my belongings with kindly people on the upper floors. I have made reservations at a motel on higher ground & was lucky to get a room. I feel sort of numb and sleepwalking through this whole thing. I feigned normality in the morning & went to the gym, then went grocery shopping, even cooked dinner, but as the day wore on, my tension headache grew & grew. I plan to get to bed early & be up early tomorrow. There's nothing I can do tonight.

Eating helps nothing. It's just a form of spinning one's wheels, as I wrote in another thread here. It won't get clothes packed, won't get belongings off the closet floors, won't get the gas tank filled or cash from the ATM. It won't get my cooler packed with healthy food for my hotel room.

Either sit with the anxiety, call a friend or loved one, or act methodically to prepare. Eating will just make you unhappier as well as frightened.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I'm just sitting here, me, computer, radio. Kids are sleeping, DH is working til 11pm. We just moved last week, and our new place is surrounded by trees. I'm really nervous about one coming through one of the big beautiful windows that are all over the place. The fact that there are so many windows was one of the things I loved about this place when we moved in...last week.
Weirdly enough all I've done is snack and read about hurricanes, or how to improve my running time. Don't ask, I'm a strange bird! I can't find half the stuff we own, because its all in boxes. I do have other hobbies besides eating, but all my sewing supplies are packed somewhere. Besides who am I kidding, even if I'm doing something else, its like this itch I need to scratch when I want to snack. I try to ignore it and distract myself but it just keeps lurking there. What a PITA!!
I lol'd when you said you have other hobbies besides eating! My only (other) hobby is reading, which I do WHILE eating, haha! It sucks. Yep, I ate a half a bag of Sunchips earlier and am about to make a big package of rice. I want my husband to get home already and for us all to not go anywhere for the next few days! I'm nervous about the power going out, my son has bad asthma and sometimes need nebulizer treatments- if the power is out we will have to take him to the car and hope the car adapter works to get him his medicine. Also I'm super paranoid about the windows blowing out even though I know that's unlikely. Where do you live in NJ? Unless you are near a major major flood area I wouldn't worry about being on your roof!! It should be ok. I too am worried about the huge tree in my backyard but we can only hope for the best.... good luck! Hope this is just overblown......
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Exercise helps... if you still have electricity pop in an exercise DVD or youtube some workouts.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #19  
lucysam77

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5"4"

Hi girl, im in nj too. I was thinking the same about being at home and eating a lot for stress or anxiety about the hurricane, but I have my treadmill and im gonna used instead of going to the gym.
lucysam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Sweety, I would be scared too. My family weathered Hurricane Andrew in Florida. We lived just about in the path of the eye. My mom was freaked out. We moved from Staten Island to Florida to deal with this? She had 5 kids. I remember the panic she went through.

Try to think this way. Is the chocolate going to make the storm better? most likely not, what it is going to do is sabotage your goals. Just maybe you are in the mindset, it is going to be so bad--so why worry about diet. Splurge, before the good times end. That is not constructive though. MOST OF ALL, you want to role model calm and controlled behavior for your children who probably are scared too. Hang in there, I know there are prayers going up for the people in the pathway of the storm. My family still lives on Staten Island and Manhattan.

"Thin people aren't interested in eating when they're stressed, so they stop completely, or they feel queasy at the sight of food, too nervous to keep it down, so they don't dare eat. "

hahahh. This is alien to me too. I know thin people tell me this all the time. I want THAT gene.

Last edited by jendiet; 08-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #21  

I am in Yorktown, VA which is near the NC border and my house is on water. The eye of the hurricane will be here this evening and my house may be flooded. I had an English Muffin and a peach for breakfast and I only have OP foods in my house. I can't control a hurricane but I can control what I eat. I realize that stressing about it is counterproductive. There is nothing I can do to prevent it, so I've prepared my supplies and plan to pick up what is left at the end. I've been without power for 12 days after a nor'easter and you just get through it. I have several books to read, lots of batteries for my radio and CD player, 10 books on CD and many hand quilting projects to work on.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #22  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
A skinny friend of mine used to FORGET TO EAT. So, perhaps that is what happens to skinny people under stress...they fret and food doesn't enter their minds?

I too am in NJ, but I don't have babies or live coastal. I live one long block from the Passaic River and my basement tends to flood in large storms...we have not had the $ to do a pump or drain, so I expect some water this weekend. Over eating, however, is the last thing on my mind.

If you are feeling driven to over eat, try to get your mind off the stress/trigger and keep your hands busy.

I do hope everyone prepares for the weather.

Hugs to all.
That's how my last 2 weeks have been, I've just forgotten to eat. Everyone is freaking out about this storm, and I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We'll see. Natural disasters don't phase me too much, it just happens.
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneyy View Post
That's how my last 2 weeks have been, I've just forgotten to eat. Everyone is freaking out about this storm, and I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We'll see. Natural disasters don't phase me too much, it just happens.
I felt the same way before I had kids. My DH and I used to do EMS. We live in a coastal area and when people were heading away from the flooding, we were heading in. But now I have two small children, and my DH has to work tomorrow. He works in the ER and HAS to go to work. I have to worry about having enough supplies for the kids, including diapers. And my older son has feeding issues and only eats certain foods, most of which are refridgerated, so loss of power is a problem. Personally, I feel its more frightening when you know you are responsible for someone else should the poop hit the fan. If for some reason there were an emergency evacuation last minute, I have to make sure I am ready to go with two kids and their supplies as well. I don't know if you have kiddies, but if not, you many find nature distasters phase you a bit more when you do.

All and all, none of that is an excuse for me to eat out of control. I have definitely taken this as a sign that I need to take a better look at stress management. Life is stressful and not always when its convenient. There's going to be other times of stress, and I need to learn how to deal with it more effectively. I can't say I've done much better today, but I think this has been a huge wake up call for me since I thought I had made more progess than I did.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 224/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Essex County checking in. Storm has me a bit nervous. My family has me even more nervous preparing and getting stuff last minute. :/ Be safe everyone.
KaeBae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #25  

It's pouring here in Ocean. I feel like its not IF will lose power, but WHEN. Hopefully not until the morning, so we aren't stuck here in the dark. I will keep checking in as long as our power is on and I can get online.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 224/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
It's pouring here in Ocean. I feel like its not IF will lose power, but WHEN. Hopefully not until the morning, so we aren't stuck here in the dark. I will keep checking in as long as our power is on and I can get online.

Weren't yall supposed to leave? :P
KaeBae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #27  

No. Only the Barrier Islands. And those right on the water. Ocean County, not Ocean City.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #28  
I think I can...

I'm so scared as well! We went to the store and my family purchased plenty of junk food.
I keep telling myself that this will all be over Monday good or bad. So no need to have to deal with cleaning up and losing the 5 pounds that I will have to worry about after Irene makes her departure.
Stay safe and please keep your eyes on your ultimate goal.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #29  

I'm so glad I ate like the end of the world was coming, because, you know, the power didnt' even go out...
Boy, was this a learning moment.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Well, at least you're seeing it as a learning opportunity...

Now, for the next one...
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote