Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

Default The dreaded saddlebags

I'm pretty content with my weight. But if there's one thing I can't seem to get rid of is the dreaded saddlebags. I've always carried weight in my thighs and butt, and after losing a decent chunk of weight, I'm still left with a lumpy lower half.

Any fitness or nutrition tips you chicks can share on how to get rid of or at least diminish the saddlebags?
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Most women carry their extra body fat there - pure evolution and biology. The only way to deal with it is to lose overall body fat and maintain and/or build muscle in the area through weight training. There is no spot reduction.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I got down to goal weight and I still have saddle bags (my left outer thigh is clearly bigger than my right thigh). I keep reminding myself, overall, I like being pear-shaped. I have lovely arms/shoulders and a nice tushie. Big thighs are just part and parcel of my shape. I am the same shape now as I was when I was heavier, just a smaller version.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

It is funny you say that b/c I have been critiquing myself and I have saddlebags left, too. I think that my legs are firming from the knee up and a couple more months will help those saddle bags. Have you tried spinning? It is a great lower body workout.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #5  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I've been aiming to reduce my body fat percentage and really minimize muscle loss in the last part of my weight loss (mid-March I was around 28-29%, have lost 4-5 pounds of scale weight since then and am down to around 24%). I take monthly sports bra/undies pics. My saddlebags were quite prominent at 28%. They've improved since then (though they're certainly still there), but I have been kind of amused to see that one of them has improved more dramatically, so they're lopsided now. I don't know whether that's because my body is just deciding to shrink them unevenly or because I'm training one leg better than the other in my workouts... but I do kind of hope they even out.

It's weird, I feel like I could measure improvement in my saddlebags by measuring how far up my leg I can see quad definition when I flex. Used to be, it was just an inch or two above my knee; now it's steadily creeping up and up and as the fat comes off.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

My thighs, hips and butt have been shrinking A LOT more than my waist! I've always done a lot of lower body exercises though for years before I started watching what I ate. I take spin classes several times a week, along with kickboxing and step classes.

Once I started watching what I ate, the fat came off my lower body first and I wonder if it's because I probably had quite a bit of muscle under there. I used to have a pretty defined pear shape and now I'm an hourglass (My hip measurement is exactly the same as my bust).

My thighs have shrunk the most (which I love because I can now wear cute short shorts!) but I've noticed my inner thighs seem rather...deflated. I can't really explain it and I don't have a camera handy to show everyone. The rest of my legs have become firm and defined, except for my inner thighs.

Not sure what to do about that, but I'm hoping that in time they'll shrink to match the rest of my legs.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #7  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

You could tone that area doing squats and lunges, as well as running.
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I have saddlebags too. Like sacha said, there's no such thing as spot reduction- the body decides where we will lose weight. My sister is the same shape as me but 20 lbs lighter and she still has saddlebags. My mom, when she was 100 lbs, also still carried her weight there. It's genetic and just something I've had to accept
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Oh no..I know the feeling, just under 40lbs down and I see marked changes everywhere including the batwings, but the thighs and saddlebags remain huge and even more dimpled than before...I have been told squats and lunges work but unfortunately my back issues do not allow me to do those. Maybe you can try them and see if they work for you. Another good one I am told is climbing hills or inclines on your machine.
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Ditto on the spinning, and the lunges and squats are great too.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
It is funny you say that b/c I have been critiquing myself and I have saddlebags left, too. I think that my legs are firming from the knee up and a couple more months will help those saddle bags. Have you tried spinning? It is a great lower body workout.
I was just going to suggest bicycling. While I do not have a pear shape (I actually wish I did---I'm an apple), every time I bike ride, I really feel the "saddlebag" part of my body working extra hard. Also, I remember years ago when I used to go to the gym, I got bored and started incorporating the stationary bike into my cardio routine. Weeks later, I was in a store dressing room trying on some clothes, and I caught a glimpse of my rear in the three-way mirror. I could not believe how much tighter that whole area looked. I attribute that change to the biking because I had made no other change.

So, if you're not using a bicycle or spinning, you may want to try that.

Last edited by lin43; 07-27-2011 at 07:44 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #12  

Thanks for the responses! I'm definitely going to incorporate more biking/spinning, lunges and squats, and running into my workouts.

Sumire, I have the same issue. One of my saddlebags is larger than the other. It definitely makes me self conscious when I'm in a swimsuit, but I'm learning now that what I really need to work on is my self-confidence.

I may always have saddlebags. But if I'm okay with it than others should be too.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #13  

Smile

Hi Ladies,

contrary to popular belief, what you need isn't MORE exercise, it might involve changing what exercise you're doing.
Ladies who are pear shaped respond extremely well to the right kind of diet and the right exercise;

You need to do the following -
1. Clean up your diet - remove things like wheat, dairy, sugar and all processed foods from your diet.

2. Make sure your butt is doing what it should do by completing some activation exercises (if it 'aint moving, you aint gonna lose it!)

3. Change your long cardio sessions for weight training, including squats & lunges - SERIOUSLY! You wont bulk up i promise. But you do need a structured programme on a 4 week rotation, so over the first 3 weeks you increase the intensity of the workouts (increase the weight or the number of sets you do)
*FYI - week 3 you wont notice a change in measurements as youve been increasing the intensity - dont worry its all part of the plan.
Then on week 4 you drop back to what you were doing on the first session to recover. This is where the magic happens. Your thighs and saddlesbag will be SMALLER than they were on week 1.

Hope this helps

Jenni x
Pearshaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #14  

Thanks Jenni. I've been doing more squats and lunges but without weights. I guess I will try incorporating them into my routine and see how it goes.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #15  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

hmmm, I don't know, I have been as low as 109 lbs in my adult life and I still had that shape.

That being said, when I was working out with a lot of squats & lunges with weight, they did seem less pronounced (because surrounding muscle was more defined and "toned").

Please report back if you feel you have success. Before and after photos would be nice! Those of us with the same problem are wondering...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote