Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #16  

Thank you all very much for the kind replies! I am thankful.

Because of this, I won't take diet pills but rather start working out at the gym.

Does anyone have any recommendations of things that'll help burn fat? And any tips on what I should start eating and drinking?
nerosane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Great decision, nerosane! Head over to the Exercise forum. The gals there have great articles and tips on exercises that work and don't work. They advocate using free weights for a better overall workout. I do 30 min. of cardio on an elliptical machine at the gym since it's lower impact on my knees, and I love it.

As far as foods, lean grilled meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains... You really can't go wrong there. I think it's best to start out by keeping a daily food log. Just write down everything you're eating through the day. (I include the amounts of calories, but I don't know if you're going to be a calorie counter. There's another forum on calorie counting here if you want more info.) This makes you so aware of how much food you're consuming. There are calculators (like this one) that help you figure up how many calories you'll need at your activity level to lose weight by a certain date. They say 1,200 calories is the lowest you should consume as a woman, but many people here on the boards reject that as a over-broad generalization. Now that I've found my groove with exercise and diet, I eat between 1,000 and 1,400 calories a day. With exercise, you can eat more than this and still lose, but I personally haven't been hungry enough to eat more than I do now.

Water is your best friend as far as drinks go. I drink 96 ounces of water a day. If you don't really like water, you can try the flavor packets (Crystal Lite, etc.). I've heard good things about green tea, but I don't really like the taste. Diet sodas don't have calories, but they do cause you to retain water. If you feel like you can't give them up, just drink them in moderation.

Portion control is going to be your best friend. One reason I'm a calorie counter is that it allows me to work in my favorite foods without feeling deprived. (I still eat chocolate, but instead of chocolate donuts, I eat a 60 calorie Jell-O chocolate pudding cup.) Instead of giving up tacos or pizza or chocolate, I just limit my portions so that I'm not going crazy over my calorie limits.

Watch your sodium. The recommended daily allowance is no more than 2,400mg. It sounds like a lot, but if you're eating at restaurants a lot, it climbs up there pretty quick. Sodium causes water retention, which can hurt you on the scale.

I personally stay away from restaurants if at all possible because I can make the same foods at home for 1/3 of the calories. However, if eating out is a big part of your life, you can limit its impact on your weight loss by cutting your portions (take half home for leftovers!) and choosing "healthy" meals.

I tend to go through phases with food, lol. I get really obsessed and fall in love with one food and eat it all the time. Then it gets old and I move on to something else. In July, it was sandwiches. (Turkey, pastrami, etc.) In August, it's been salads. I don't know what it is, but after a good workout, I want to chow down on a salad. Which is better than craving greasy takeout afterward, I suppose!

There's no big secret to losing weight. Your calories in have to be fewer than your calories out and you lose weight. So just watch what you're eating, hit the gym, and you'll do great! Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sure many others on the boards will give ya excellent advice. The people here are a fount of knowledge.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

I don't like taking diet pills for weight loss, but I do like the energy boost I get. So I take a green tea pill that has caffeine in it. It's the same amount of caffeine that 2 cups of coffee have in them. Coffee just doesn't agree with my tummy. I take them 30 minutes or so before a workout so I have the energy to complete it. Otherwise I agree with what everyone else has said
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #19  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Hey glad to see you've chosen the healthy way to lose weight! Focus on changing your lifestyle so that the weight stays off! You're the same height and starting weight as me. I know how hard it is, but it CAN be done!

For exercise, if you've never exercised before, make sure to start off slow and eventually build up to the level you want to be at! Starting off too fast can result in injuries (although because you're young you may be able to start off faster than someone older than you). Focus on training your whole body and make sure to incorporate cardio AND strength training (my mistake was not enough strength training. My upper body strength is abysmal).

If you want some quick workouts at home, some of the games on the Wii offer some nice options. I wouldn't rely on them for a complete "true" workout, but they can be a nice starting point. Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus can help you build up strength and stamina and are great for a quick workout. The Just Dance games are fun and you can work up a sweat playing them! After a while though, these might be a little too easy for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieC87 View Post

Portion control is going to be your best friend. One reason I'm a calorie counter is that it allows me to work in my favorite foods without feeling deprived. (I still eat chocolate, but instead of chocolate donuts, I eat a 60 calorie Jell-O chocolate pudding cup.) Instead of giving up tacos or pizza or chocolate, I just limit my portions so that I'm not going crazy over my calorie limits.
THIS. I love calorie counting for this reason. I don't have to give up anything (because take away my pizza and you'd better run! ) as long as I work it into my daily calorie allowance.

Last edited by sontaikle; 08-10-2011 at 01:59 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

I LOVE the ea sports active 2! I use it on the wii. It really kicks your butt in a good way!
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote