Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Default On Program + Exercising = Weight Gain?

I am so very frustrated, depressed, etc this morning. I have been OP for 8 days now, I realize that isnt much, but I am proud of that start. Following a low carb approach, weighing and accounting for everything I eat. Also not exceeding 1600 calories a day. I am drinking at least 72 ounces of water a day. I am 34 years old, 5'6" and this morning weighed in at 177.2, up from 176.4 last week when I started this program. I also started running/walking following the C25K program.

How is it possible that I can gain a lb in one week like this? I feel like I might as well go back to eating nachos and chips as at least then I maintained.
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yes, there is water retention when you begin an exercise program.

Why go back to nachos and chips?

Well, it makes sense that if you eat properly and exercise, you WILL eventually lose weight and get stronger.

You JUST started this. Believe me, this is a lifelong journey, and if you throw in the towel over the number "1" on the scale then you will not ever reach your goal. If you decide to move past that and keep on going, then you WILL reach your goal.

Nachos and chips never made you feel better about your body in "X" amount of years, so going back will make you feel miserable again too. Like someone else says - pick your misery (or something like that).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Weight loss isn't linear. You've changed not only the way you're eating, but also your activity level by adding in exercise.

I know that some people hold onto water when they begin exercising. You could very well be losing fat, and holding onto water weight or food weight. After all, the scale doesn't say "This many pounds are fat. This many pounds are muscle. This many pounds are bones and organs. This many pounds are water." It just gives a number of the total.

Keep going with your plan. It'll pay off, but you have to allow your body time to adjust.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

I know it's hard to not feel discouraged when you see the scale go up--but, I think the thing to remember is your body may not respond exactly in the time that you want, if your eating habits are new. Do you feel better? I think that's the key. If you're happy with your way of eating, and the healthy changes you've made--then hang onto that. If that's contributing to your unhappiness, and the scale was just the kicker, then I think it's time to revamp the food! It does seem that you're happy with your progress, just not the weight loss...so keep on keepin' on. You will get results, and in the mean time, isn't it great to feel a bit healthier?
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #5  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

For the first two weeks after I started eating correctly and working out I gained weight. The thing is, you can really retain water if you're just starting out a new exercise routine. The laws of thermodynamics won't fail you, though. If you're eating on plan you WILL lose weight, it's simple math. It will take more than just a week of clean eating to see the progress though. Give it a good month and you'll see!
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #6  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

How much sodium do you take in? That henders me a lot as well. Also, you could be gaining muscle.
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

Peaches - when you have lost weight in the past, did you chart your weightloss? I weigh daily and chart it, and I am able to see some patterns in my weightloss that I would have never known about. I would have sworn that I gain weight during my cycle and lose the rest of the time. Not so! I actually either maintain or gain the week leading up to ovulation and usually lose the rest of the time. Another cool thing about charting, is that I get to see the weight I did not lose while getting ready to ovulate does come off afterward! Sometime the scale owes me a few...but it always eventually pays off.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 331/309/150

Height: 5'5

Maybe it is muscle gain? I know it can be frustrating though... Try not to get discouraged. I am sure if you keep it up the scale will start going down.
2CuteToBeFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Peaches -

you are low carbing - are you counting all carbs or using some sort of "net" carbs? Some people can handle processed low carb foods with sugar alcohols but others find that they stall any loss, or they have the same kind of gain you are having.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186.0/186.0/140

Height: 5"6"

Thank you all so much for the words of advice and support. It means a great deal to me.

sacha - Dont worry, I will not go back to the nachos and chips, I do know that taking better care of myself is the main focus and my main goal. So I will keep up with this new way of life and focus on a healthier me. But darn its sure tempting to threaten from time to time! :-)

Paperdollme - Yes, I do feel better. After I got over the "low carb slump" the first few days I do feel better. If I do not see a change in the next week then I will definitely think about revamping what foods I am eating.

MadameZombie - Thank you! Appreciate the words of encouragement. I do think that in the past I have seen a water weight gain when I started exercising but usually not the first week of watching what I eat too. Usually I see a drop of at least a few pounds before I see a gain. This is what has gotten me so frazzled this time.

Envelope - Yes, in the past I have weighed daily. This time I was trying not to do that so that I didnt get so upset by any gains I saw. I was sure hoping that a week OP when I had been eating so all over the place would lead me to a nice loss. I am definitely thinking that the daily tracking is what I am going to go back to. For my own sanity!

April Snow - I am following the Paleo diet recommendations. And also watching total carb/sugar intake as well as calories. Feel like I am getting plenty to eat and #'s seem to say the same, so will keep trucking along. I am going to try to add more veggies to my diet this week.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and encouragement. You guys are the best!
Peaches5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #11  
~Star~

S/C/G: 236.4/~ticker~/150

Height: 5'6"

Peaches,
All these wonderful people have already chimed in, but I thought you should know that you are not alone. I gained and/or stayed the same the first THREE weeks I began my journey! It is the most frustrating thing sometimes, but I did notice clothes starting to fit differently and hope you are too. That is a great indicator and the one thing that kept me going at it. I just kept thinking... if the clothes fit differently and better, than that scale is just too used to measuring me before, lol... thank goodness we learned it wasn't unable to be taught new tricks though You will get there, persevere your desire, keep plugging away... and know that other people are out here with stubborn bodies too
ItsMyTurn is offline   Reply With Quote