Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #1  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

Question Ex-lax or laxatives anyone?

Im not encouraging the use of laxatives and im not one to abuse laxatives to aid weight loss...However..after having several binges over the past few days..i feel horrible..bloated and terribly full and just awful and i was thinking "God i just want to take a laxative and get it all out of my system"..

Ever feel like that? You just want to get rid of everything in your body so you feel better and start off feeling good on a diet program??
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I can understand the mental appeal. The math being "if I just get it out of my system, then it's like it didn't happen and I can start fresh". Unfortunately, these are eating disordered thoughts, as well.

However, it doesn't balance out that way in real life. I promise you that abusing laxatives in that manner would only lead to more weight loss complications. As well as the whole "binge/purge" cycle, which is one of the things that so many people are aiming to stop entirely.

It's just not healthy.

There's no "perfect" time to start a weight loss program. We also aren't going to be completely perfect while we're on this journey. There's no "undo" button. We just have to aim for healthier the next time there's a choice.

(PS - You might want to check out the Chicks in Control section if you're looking to stop the binging cycle. There are a lot of 3FCers there aiming to do the same and taking back control over their ED.)
Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

I have only ever taken senna tea for that. It is natural but still unhealthy. I wouldn't recommend anyone using any kind of laxatives as your intestines start relying on it to work at all.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #4  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

im not thinking about doing this except for this once..cause part of my "issue" is that im backed up and i feel like i dont empty myself out..and so with all this food i piled into my body..it makes me feel even worse!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I suggest that you simply wait 24 to 72 hours and let your body empty itself naturally. If you are uncomfortable and bloated, embrace that feeling and remember it the next time you are tempted to binge.

Larry
Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

To anyone mentally classifying senna as "just natural", it is actually used as a prescription medication and is definitely a real laxative. Appropriate times to use senna include when you've just had to take a high dose of opioid painkillers which you know will make you severely constipated. Dieting is not an appropriate use of senna.

A lot of people experience mild constipation as a result of dieting. The first thing to do is to make sure that you're getting enough liquid, fibre and fat. If those are all high enough and you're still constipated, look into gentle methods which are much milder than laxatives, such as hot water with lemon first thing in the morning, or a few tablespoons of flaxseed/linseed (ground or whole will both be fine) taken with at least 2 glasses of water.

Jasesgirl - sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it and feeling awful. Can you redirect this urge to feel cleansed to something more productive, such a a good walk in the fresh air? I'm sure the "Chicks in Control" forum will have lots of good advice on the bingeing side of things as well.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
I suggest that you simply wait 24 to 72 hours and let your body empty itself naturally. If you are uncomfortable and bloated, embrace that feeling and remember it the next time you are tempted to binge.

Larry
I agree 100%.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post

Larry
Excellent advice Larry!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

I have absolutely no experience with laxatives, but I can relate to feeling truly awful after a binge. Just get through it and try to remember how awful binging makes you feel. Next time you want to binge, use this experience as a way to fight the urge. Rather than binging and feeling like you need to purge to feel better and start over, don't put yourself in a situation where you need to start over. Easier said than done, but try to use it as motivation
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think you have received a lot of good advice and this can be a dangerous road to go down. I am going to close the thread though. If you have frequent issues with binging, I'd recommend looking into professional counseling. Somethingfishy.org is a good site to find resources for those with eating disorders.
Closed Thread