Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #1  
Patience.

S/C/G: 164/151/120

Height: 5'4"

Question How do you determine your Daily Calorie Needs?

Do any of you use the Harris Benedict Equation to determine your daily calorie needs? And if so, how effective is it for you? If not, what do you use?

I was using SparkPeople to determine my calorie needs and adjusted my diet within their suggested range for a sufficient calorie deficit (their range for me was 1200-1550). Well, I've been stalled for the past 2 months. I thought it was because I started lifting weights at that time, and while that most likely has something to do with it, I don't think that's the sole reason for my plateau.

The other day, I discovered the Harris Benedict Equation. (Daily Calorie Needs to maintain = BMR x a number corresponding with your activity level) According to this equation, I can consume about 1750 calories a day to lose a pound a week. (Calorie Needs - 500 calories a day) I was averaging about 1450 calories while following SparkPeople's recommendations, and for the past 3 days, I've been closer to 1780. It's a bit of a mental struggle for me to add that many calories to my diet, but I couldn't justify cutting my calories anymore because I knew that would be even more detrimental to my efforts. If I lose even 2lbs with this method by August 1st, I'm going to stick with it!

Long story short - I'm a bit disappointed in how SparkPeople calculates our calorie needs and I'm trying something new. What do you use?
EllieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4''

I do 1300-1500 (but usually closer to 1500). I did the online calculator and that was the average I got so I just tried it out, and it has never failed me, 37 pounds later. I think it's a waste of time to get all caught up in some exact calculation, and with some experimentation one can figure out what works best for them.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote