Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #1  

Default Anxiety about upcoming vacation with boyfriend's family...

So I will be going with my boyfriend's family on their annual vacation this year in early August. I am just a little bit anxious about it, I mean, I've lost 32 lbs and weigh 164, which is much less than when I saw most of them last Christmas--but this time there's... swim suits involved. Just to give you an idea here... I wore a swim suit for the first time a few weeks ago---in like TEN YEARS. I am also known to be fiercely against having pictures taken of me. I am absolutely 100% not one of those people who feels comfortable in revealing clothing, like a swim suit, ESPECIALLY in front of my entire boyfriends family and all his brothers. I can be told to "not worry about it" or "just have fun" a million times and that will not make it go away.

It's my body shape that I'm unhappy with. Wearing clothing, it isn't as noticeable--but wearing a swim suit, you can very clearly see that even at 164 lbs at 5'7" I have a belly that looks very reasonably comparable to an 7-8 month along pregnant lady(and I have NO children and I'm not pregnant!). 80% of my fat sits there and it is NOT flattering.

Pair this with the fact that social anxiety disorder runs in my family and you have a "freaking out" moment on your hands. Advice for me!?
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

Wear a really cute cover up (the dress kind that billows out under your chest) and take it off RIGHT BEFORE you get in the water. Or, if you're that uncomfortable, plead TOM and don't swim, although that won't be much fun.

Sorry no help but good luck, I hope you have a great time! And remember that most people in swimwear are too busy focusing on their own flaws to notice anyone else's!!
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Remember to tell yourself that these people are not going to like you any less because you have a belly. They will like you less if you are a horribly rude person. Also remember that they all have their own physical imperfections (that I'm sure no one else would care about). Would you like them any less if one of them weighed 50lbs more than you?

As for the social disorder, my boyfriend has a severe one, and I have a little bit less of one, more like nervousness. My way to combat my issue is I go up and talk to people first, make the first move. I know it sounds a little backwards...but, if I make the first move and can engage myself in conversation I know they are focused on me and not my body. Plus talking to someone helps me to block out the people I am not talking to. Sometimes if they know someone you don't they will bring another person into the conversation. Oh, and smile...people aren't looking at your mid-section as much as they are looking at your face.

My boyfriend's solution is to just have two beers before we get there, lol.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #4  
Looking for ♥ONEderland♥

S/C/G: 256/See ticker/175

Height: 5'7''

This may not be much advice, but I'm so self conceous it's crazy, so going out in public in a bathing suit is murderous for me, BUT, after a recent visit to the local swim park and then a vacation to the Gulf, I realized, at least I'm covering everything up, not letting my extra just all hang out, like most people out there. No offense intended to anyone. And most people are so concerend about how they look, they won't even notice the little things you see in the mirror a good cover up is always a friend too and I'm sure the main person that will notice you is you BF , and I bet he thinks you look amazing in anything

Last edited by texasmedic09; 07-23-2011 at 02:54 AM.
texasmedic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

If you really are uncomfortable with the swimsuit idea you could consider a swim shirt and shorts.... they are for athletes and water sports.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5

find a really good bathing suit that has tummy control.

and remember, I have never in my life been on a beach where there wasn't someone much bigger than me who apparantly wasn't the least bit worried about what people saw.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #7  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

If most of your weight is in your middle, I agree with CherryPie;get a suit with tummy control or tankini. Patterns also play big into this too, opt for in the middle or seams that distract. It'll make YOU feel better. A cute little tank dress can be used as a coverup if you feel uncomfortable. I hate bathing suits. I went to an amusement park and didn't hit the water I was so self-conscious. After a few min, I took a look around and noticed that the other people's bodies werent much better than mine and they didn't care. Have fun. Don't get down over that.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

tummy control 1 piece, or a tanga? or whatever they are called.

Those are sexy, i think. They really help show off the shape you have, just like clothes can. If you are covered that way(you're mid section) you might feel more comfortable and confident. I assume it is you're "trouble area".

Look up miracle suits (they are expensive) but you can find all kinds of controlling suits if you just look around you've got time!!!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

I'm the same way, especially since I gained the weight in 2008. I hate having my picture taken, and I hated going out on the water (but only for body issue reasons - I love swimming!).

Here's what I did last year - I found this AWESOME one piece bathing suit at Dillard's (they also sold it in the Victoria's Secret catalog). It was low cut in the front (so it showed off a piece of my body I am NOT ashamed of) and had all kinds of ruching around the stomach area and sides. It virtually hid the stomach I had. It was amazing. (Here's the bathing suit, hopefully this link won't be removed!) If you can find a bathing suit with ruching, I swear it will do wonders. And, like others said, a nice coverup will work too and probably make you feel less uncomfortable. Good luck and HAVE FUN!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote