Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #1  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Eating Out of Boredom

So, here I sit. The office is quiet due to the nicest Friday we've had in weeks...yet I'm stuck here because I have to answer phones.

I decided to eat my afternoon snack (green bell pepper...LOVE 'em) and when I was finished the first thought that came to mind was "what should I eat next?"

That made me realize that I wasn't hungry at all...just bored.

Now I've decided that every time I think about the pudding cup that I have, instead of eating it I have to take a big drink of water.

What do you do to keep from eating out of boredom?
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #2  

I hear ya'. When it's not so hot (at least 100 degrees where I'm at), I try to occupy myself with another activity---bike riding, reading, going shopping (even if I don't buy anything, it's fun to shop). I'm a teacher, so I have the summer off and can do these things. However, in your situation, you might want to bring along a book or a crossword puzzle or something else like that to occupy your time when you get bored.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 331/309/150

Height: 5'5

This is a problem for me too.. I am at work now and it seems that the day goes by faster when I snack.. Go figure.. I am curious to see some suggestions..
2CuteToBeFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4''

I suffer from the same disorder, lol. When I feel myself asking "what can I eat next?" I drink water & come on this website and look at peoples goal pictures. Either that or hop on an execise machine. Good luck on your weight loss!
duhitskriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4''

exercise***
duhitskriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #6  
almost halfway to goal!

S/C/G: 150/139/120

I was JUST thinking to myself about this battle I'm having with eating out of boredom. What usually happens with me is I either "boredom binge", or I pick up something, get halfway through, and feel disgusted with the option of food. But I still feel hungry??

I have a job where I'm on my feet working for hours at a time, but could also have anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours where I don't do a whole lot. And I can't stop thinking about food! There's a Subway two shops down, and those cookies are SO tempting on days like that.

Today, I just got some tattoo work done on my leg (quite a large piece), and working out HURTS and probably isn't the best idea. So with a day off and the kitchen screaming my name, what's a girl to do?
vesperpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #7  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperpt View Post
I was JUST thinking to myself about this battle I'm having with eating out of boredom. What usually happens with me is I either "boredom binge", or I pick up something, get halfway through, and feel disgusted with the option of food. But I still feel hungry??

I have a job where I'm on my feet working for hours at a time, but could also have anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours where I don't do a whole lot. And I can't stop thinking about food! There's a Subway two shops down, and those cookies are SO tempting on days like that.

Today, I just got some tattoo work done on my leg (quite a large piece), and working out HURTS and probably isn't the best idea. So with a day off and the kitchen screaming my name, what's a girl to do?
Nice work!!!!! I'm assuming it's your avatar, lol.

You're right, with something that big and detailed I wouldn't think that working out for a couple days would be a good idea, at least until the swelling goes down.

Maybe a slooow walk around the block to at least get away from the fridge. Or have a friend come over and watch a movie. I know I never binge eat in front of friends.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

I have the same problem, always in the late afternoon when it's after lunch but too early for dinner. I crave a sweet snack so bad some days!

What's helped me is really PLANNING my meals, knowing what time I'm going to be eating each meal/snack. That way, even if I think I'm hungry, I can look at the clock and realize Okay, you're going to be eating in 40 minutes. You can focus on what needs to be done now. I guess it also helps that, besides late afternoon at work, I'm rarely ever bored. Well, that's not exactly true - I get bored, but there are things I could be doing that need to be done. So I make myself do those things instead of eating.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #9  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Keep a magazine from a clothing company that when you are at goal you would like to wear their clothes and when you want to overeat look at it and imagine yourself in those clothes.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #10  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

My worst time with boredom eating happens at work too. Can't leave my desk for too long so exercising is not an option. And I don't want to continue snacking just for the sake of snacking. It took a LONG time to break the work/boredom association. So, I come to 3FC and read and reply. Keeps my hands busy! I will also play games on my phone. Chewing gum helps too because nothing seems appetizing while something minty is in my mouth.

Once you break the association between boredom and mindless snacking you'll be fine. If I really really need something I'll have a cup of tea or coffee.

And the only way to stop thinking about that pudding cup is to throw it away!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote