Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 220/215/130

Height: 5'7''

TBH, I never thought about weighing in daily to see how food fluctuates and see what it does to my body - but I am a daily weigher. I guess for me it is a double-edged sword. When I wake up and weigh myself and I weigh less, I feel so motivated to keep going and working hard and when it shows that I've gained or haven't moved at all - it definitely dampers me for a moment but I just keep going and hope for a change by the end of the week.
exjordanaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #32  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimicat76 View Post
i dont log my calories or measure i just eat what i feel is right. i do know the correct portions for meat (about the size of your palm and as thick as a deck of cards) i usually eat at dinner two large serving spoons of veggies that were having and one scoop of whatever else were having as the second side. i always eat one serving of protein. normally i will have a banana or 100 calorie cottage cheese doubles (1 serving) after i work out. i always eat cereal in the morning. its either honey and oat blenders with almonds or honey nut cheerios. occasionally on days my husband is off ill have have eggs bacon and maybe a pancake for breakfast. i always make a point of cooking my own meals and try not to eat tv dinners anymore. i dont eat sweets unless im forced to haha and then i make sure i eat the serving suggestion. (basically i dont write down anything but try to keep a mental record of what ive eaten) i also have been upping the things i do around the house. my husbands job used to be to do dishes and now i made it my job =P when i exercise i always make it an hour. i try to sip on water in between songs on the treadmill and on DDR to stay hydrated so i wont retain water as much. i always try to keep moving.
You may want to think about another scale - a food scale, and some measuring cups. People who eyeball their food tend to underestimate how many calories they are eating. Stuff like cereal, the portion size is actually really small. If you measure out a cup of cereal, it looks like nothing in the bowl. What people pour out as a normal sized bowl of cereal is often 2 or 3 servings from how it's calculated in the nutritional info, and what you may think is a good portion could really be a 500 calories bowl of cereal once you add the milk.

It also depends on how the food is prepared - are the veggies plain and steamed or at they cooked with oil or butter or in a cream sauce or with cheese? Same thing for the other side dishes.

Plus, even if you aren't calorie counting, many people who do count find that they need to cut back on their calories as they lose weight. Even if you aren't counting the calories, what you ate 30 lbs ago and lost weight on may be too much for your new 30-lb smaller body to still lose weight on.

I know this goes beyond the question you asked, but if you concern is that daily weigh ins are making you lose weight too slowly, that is not going to be the case (unless it's because you eat more if the scale doesn't say what you want it to say, of course). Chances are that it's what you are eating that is making the loss go more slowly than you would like. Rule of thumb is that only about 20% of weight loss comes from the exercise part of the equation, 80% comes from what you eat.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #33  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

I like to weigh myself everyday, but I only started doing that when I got a didn't round up to a whole or half number. When I step on the scale on Monday and I'm at 201.8, it's nice to see that on Tuesday I might be at 200.9, while that isn't an entire pound, it's close and it motivates me.
onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

Height: 5'6"

I think it very much depends on the person and their attitude to it - I have a tendency to be a bit obsessive, so I haven't bought a scale and I plan to weigh in once a month at Boots. (First weigh-in in three days!) I figure it'll stop me fretting over daily fluctuations, and I know I would. I'd rather get a very general view of what's going on than get caught up in the small details.

But some people use it as a tool to get to know and understand their bodies better, and the details are important to them; it's a small time investment to a better understanding of their dieting process.

There's no one right way, I think; it's about deciding what's best for you.
Ms Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think it depends where you are in the losing weight process. When I first started I was obsessed with the scale, weighing myself 3-4 times a day, if I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night , I weighed myself. I solved this by locking my scale in the trunk of my car, since I lived in a 3rd floor apartment I at least thought about it before going down to bring it back to weigh myself. I settled down to about 2-3 times a week. BUT NOW I am at goal and I do weigh every day, once a day. I post my daily weight on my calendar so I can see at an instant if there is a trend develping, either up or down..

Last edited by bargoo; 06-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post
I weigh daily then average out my weight on a Sunday. For me, I don't like the idea of the number on Sunday defining a weeks of hard work if I just so happen to be storing more water or something similar. I find that getting the middle number of all the weights I recorded reflects the weight I'm at more accurately than a one off weigh in, then I record it on a chart and keep going!
What a great idea! Takes all of the pressure off that "one instance" when you weigh yourself. And, I truely believe the overall trend is what is imporant anyway.
Mary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #37  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaOlivia View Post
To answer the question in the title: I think weighing daily is pointless because our bodies doesn't drop that much weight i 24 hours, and even the smallest flunctuation in water/ bathroom visit/ etc can make it seem like you've gained more or lost more than you actually have. Also, there is the emotional component, it seems obsessive to stare at a scale every freaking day.

Even if I were to get on the scale 20 or more times a day, I would still spend far more time daily on any ONE of the following: brushing my teeth, flossing, using mouth wash, washing my face, combing my hair, putting on makeup and deodorant, plucking my eyebrows, shaving, showering, cleaning my glasses... but no one has ever told me that my personal hygeine or beauty regimen is obsessive.

I spend tons more time checking my watch than my weight and my weight is a lot more important than the time. I'm not checking it to see whether or not I've lost 10 lbs? I'm just checking because adding it to my routine has value for me.

It's no stranger than checking the time, the weather, or performing thousands of tasks people do on a daily basis without ever being accused of being obsessive.

I find this the funniest argument against weighing daily. Of all the things that can be considered an obsession, anything that takes less than a full minute (and heck you can weigh yourself at least 20 times in a minute), hardly qualifies as obsessive.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-25-2011 at 09:40 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

when I was losing weight, I weighed twice a day...even tho I know the scale would not show much changes some days, the practice kept me accountable. If you find something that keeps you accountable then I would say stick with it...I doubt that weighing yourself everyday is contributing to weight loss...you should be careful however not to get complacent and keep on your routine. Remember that you might have to change up your weight loss routine sometimes..good luck on your journey
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
It seems obsessive to take less than one minute to get on a scale and get off on a daily basis?
If you actually read my post you would have read that's my opinion.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #40  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaOlivia View Post
If you actually read my post you would have read that's my opinion.
And she was stating hers.

And I am stating mine. Sadly viewing daily weigh-ins as obsessive or crazy or stupid or pointless is extremely common. So common that many of us have felt guilty or crazy for weighing more than once a week (or once a month, or whatever common wisdom decided was the exactly appropriate frequency of using the scale).

And yet, no one says "You brush your teeth every day? More than once a day? Wow, that's obsessive!"

"You wash your hands and look in the mirror EVERY time you go to the bathroom, Wow" that's obsessive!

You wear a watch and look at it several times a day? That's obsessive!

I do find it interesting that weighing daily is so often considered so strangely excessive. When I weighed less frequently, I spent tons more time thinking and worrying about my weight. Wondering how every bite, every bit of exercise was going to affect the next weigh-in. Now, I spend a lot less time thinking about it. If I'm curious, I don't wonder and worry, I check. Thought, action, over and done in 5 seconds. Quicker than washing my hands, combing my hair, or putting on lipstick. I've probably freed up an hour a week just by weighing once or twice a day. Even at 20 times a day, I'd still consider it a bargain.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-26-2011 at 06:10 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #41  
OP 6/5/11

S/C/G: 252/197/195

Height: 6'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post
I weigh daily then average out my weight on a Sunday. For me, I don't like the idea of the number on Sunday defining a weeks of hard work if I just so happen to be storing more water or something similar. I find that getting the middle number of all the weights I recorded reflects the weight I'm at more accurately than a one off weigh in, then I record it on a chart and keep going!
I do a very similar WI program. I weigh daily first thing in the morning - well second actually - and then I record my weight on a spreadsheet on my computer. The spreadsheet keeps a running average for the week - so if i miss a day of WI there is no impact on the average. The sheet then calculates weight lost each week based on the averages as well as % of weight lost. I have a couple of graphs that are updated automatically with the weekly numbers for a visual impact.

I find that weighing daily helps me stay motivated even if there are days with no loss or slight gain - I don't obsess over the variations and like the steady feedback.
kellyg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

I think I do better with not looking at the scale every day. I don't have a huge amount to lose, so my progress is going to be slow no matter what (short of literally starving myself). I don't want to discourage myself.
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #43  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I weight daily. I think that's what helped me get to my goal weight.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #44  
it's always something

It's not considered obsessive for most people.

It's actually recommended

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051...p-dieters-lose

In a study at the University of Minnesota that involved 3,000 volunteers, the participates that weighed daily lost twice as much weight as those who weighed weekly. Those who did not weigh at all actually gained weight

It was also shown that maintainers who weight daily are much less likely to regain any of the weight they lost.

Love your scale But make sure it's consistent and that you are also consistent. For example if you weigh first thing in the morning before you do anything else, stick with that. Don't mix it up with other times on other days. At that point it's just entertainment
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #45  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
It's not considered obsessive for most people.

It's actually recommended

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051...p-dieters-lose

In a study at the University of Minnesota that involved 3,000 volunteers, the participates that weighed daily lost twice as much weight as those who weighed weekly. Those who did not weigh at all actually gained weight

It was also shown that maintainers who weight daily are much less likely to regain any of the weight they lost.

Love your scale But make sure it's consistent and that you are also consistent. For example if you weigh first thing in the morning before you do anything else, stick with that. Don't mix it up with other times on other days. At that point it's just entertainment
OMG i feel flattered you posted on my thread!!! and thank you for the article ^^i will continue weighing daily

Last edited by kimicat76; 06-26-2011 at 11:37 PM.
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote