Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #16  
Skinny Girl In Disguise

S/C/G: 226/212/146

Height: 5ft 4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

What was the first reward you treated yourself with and what was the goal you reached to get it?

My weight loss was sort of improvisational: I just wanted to weigh a little less each week. I didn't use charts or graphs or have a ticker here. I hadn't structured out anything, like "If I lose 10 pounds, I get this." The weight loss itself was gratification enough. I did get myself an iPod Shuffle, though, because I wanted music during my workouts. Does that kinda count? Becoming an Apple slave?
same here, i keep improvising along the way! as long as the scale goes down i'm happy! i only started at the beggining of the month, but i decided to treat myself to an ipod shuffle too. its really helped my workout. now when i'm out walking i don't feel so body conscious, i get lost in the music and walk even faster. i treated myself before i started to lose, to motivate myself to keep going, i invested in new workout clothes and shoes and the all important boulder holders aka bras!
skinniminni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #17  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Thank you all so much for responding. I hope more people post too because your stories are so incredibly inspirational.
I am making a deal with myself right now.
I am going to mark my calendar for October 6, 2011. That will be exactly 6 months from when I joined this site and started my weight loss journey. On that day, I'm going to come back to this thread and answer my own questions.
Any other "newbies" want to make the commitment with me? Let's do it. Let's commit to 6 months. This thread can be our time capsule. With time it will get buried under mounds of other threads only to be dug up one day in the future to look back on our progress.

Here are my answers as of today, April 20th
Approximately how much had you lost when you first noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? How did it make you feel?
Haven't noticed a difference yet @ appx 5 lbs down.
When was the first time someone commented on your weight loss or how great you looked?
No-one has yet (obviously), I'm hoping by 20 lbs
What was the first reward you treated yourself with and what was the goal you reached to get it?
Treated myself to a new water bottle as a reward for not giving in to a binge. Haven't made it to any goals yet.
What did you do for your first workout and how has your workout changed since then?
I'm still working up to working out. Just can't seem to knock out the excuses. (No time, too tired, too busy, yada yada)
The first time you bought clothes in a smaller size, what did you buy? Do you still have it? Wear it?
Oh, I can't wait for this one!! I wonder what I'll end up buying.
Are there foods you used to hate but now you love? Have you tried any new foods that you had never eaten before?
Right now it's Granola ... who knew it wasn't just something you found in cereal bars!!
Is there a particular moment during this journey that stands out the most in your mind?
As of right now, my moment is having a VERY strong urge to binge and not giving in to it. I'm very proud of myself for that.
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I'm with you Dilli Doo! I've enjoyed reading these. I'm about 5 weeks in and 10 lbs down, so I didn't feel qualified to answer yet.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

I'm in too. I also just started, so I haven't lost much but I know in 6 months I will have.
FatJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #20  
Graceful Loser

Approximately how much had you lost when you first noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? How did it make you feel?

I started at about 304 pounds, but It could have been higher than that. 304 was my highest recorded weight, so it’s what I go by. lol

It took me around 30-35 pounds to notice a difference in my clothes. At around 25 pounds other people were noticing small changes – I think it was more in the way I carried myself actually. I almost immediately started becoming a different person, and that newfound confidence changed me outwardly.

When was the first time someone commented on your weight loss or how great you looked?

I can’t remember the first time someone commented on my weight loss. I live with my grandma so she probably noticed before anyone else. The funny thing is, I always thought I’d treasure every compliment I’d receive about my weight loss. I can’t remember most of the things people have said. There are a few treasured comments I have locked away in my memory, but for the most part it’s all jumbled up and forgotten. I think I just feel like I’m not far enough in my journey to really deserve the great compliments. It’s not a good thing, but that’s been my mindset.

The first thing I ever treated myself with was a short haircut from an expensive (overpriced!) salon. I’d lost about 55 pounds at that point. I had always wanted a shorter haircut when I was morbidly obese but I never thought it would be very flattering – I basically hid behind really long hair. I thought cutting it off would be a fun way to reward myself, and it made me feel absolutely awesome.

What did you do for your first workout and how has your workout changed since then?

It’s funny that I still remember this. Before I bought all my fancy workout equipment, outfits, and DVDs… before I had experimented outdoors and with yoga… before I really changed my life, I just got on the floor of my room and did push-ups. I just got down and did 50 push-ups. They weren’t even “real” ones either. I had just finished watching The Biggest Loser and I wanted to do something, anything. So I did those push-ups.

The first time you bought clothes in a smaller size, what did you buy? Do you still have it? Wear it?

I bought an outfit for Christmas. I still have it, but I won’t for long… it’s way too big now!

Are there foods you used to hate but now you love? Have you tried any new foods that you had never eaten before?

Oh yeah, tons! I hated mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, green beans, chunky salsa, and many other healthy foods – now these are my favorite go to items. I probably couldn’t list all of the foods I have grown to love.

Is there a particular moment during this journey that stands out the most in your mind?

There a lot of moments that stand out. Some are very personal, some are frustrating as ****, some are so joyful, and some still bring tears to my eyes. The first thing that popped into my head, was training for and completing my first 5k.

I did walk-run intervals so they wouldn’t let me wear an official number (that was for runners only) and my time was 43 minutes and some seconds, but it was the most rewarding experience ever and it made me realize how far I’d come.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #21  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Maybe 10 pounds or thereabouts? I felt like I was totally winning at life and celebrated by buying an outfit that was definitely too tight and too short, but I didn't care and I wore it with pride.

I don't remember specifically, but comments started coming around the same time the clothes-fitting revelation occurred. Probably my favorite compliment/comment was having an attractive acquaintance that I almost never see ask me "Have you been working out? You look good!" Somehow compliments mean more coming from people who don't know me all that well.

I couldn't tell you; maybe that too-short too-tight outfit mentioned in the first question. My achieved goal was "feeling hot," which I still maintain is reason enough to do anything!

I have played the weight loss game before and have never been 100% sedentary, but this time around I tried Couch to 5K. When I first started I didn't even make it through the Week 1 routine, which is I believe only ten minutes of total running split up into 60 second intervals with long walks between. I couldn't even do knee pushups so I did wall pushups. Now I do "regular" pushups just fine, and I have run for as long as 70 minutes without stopping.

I bought a whole host of tops, skirts and dresses. I still wear it all, though some of it is a little too big now

Prior to this weight loss I never cooked at home, ever, so while I have plenty of experience eating fresh fruit and vegetables, it was all new figuring out the best ways to cook them. I changed my eating habits while living here in rural Japan and I'm still here, so I have yet to try all these newfangled health foods I keep hearing about. I have no idea what jicama or quinoa are!

There are many moments - climbing a mountain with my friends and being fine with it, the first time I ran for more than 30 minutes straight without walking, checking myself out naked in a hotel mirror on my birthday and liking it, the list goes on. But for me the cumulative effects of all this business are best appreciated when looking at it from a birds-eye view.

Before, I was an overweight smoker who ate out all the time and couldn't run for longer than a minute or do a pushup.

Now, I am a healthy weight nonsmoker who makes awesome healthy meals at home and runs and does many pushups before work because I like it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #22  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

Probably after the first 10 pounds or so. It felt great to see tangible results for my hard work.

Someone made a comment about me looking nice after the first 10 pounds (within 3 weeks or so), but people in general started praising me in general after the first 20. (within 6-7 weeks).

Hmm, good question. I think it was shopping for a couple of new skirts for the summer (last summer). I think I wanted to be at or under 165.

I went walking/running either on the trail behind the house or through town. I do know that I did far more walking than running, and that I was sore for the next couple of days. Since then, I do far more running than walking, for far longer, over sometimes rugged terrain. I also do stationary bike, Wii Dance Dance Revolution, crosscountry skiing when the weather is right, climbing on a climbing wall, or just walking for the fun of it. I am extreeeemely active. Before, I was like the definition of slothful.

I bought European size 42 (US 10/12). I was really happy to downsize at the time. That size is way too big now. I wear Euro size 32/34 (25 in jeans), and US size 0, 1, or 2.

There's a whole world of food I just eat a lot more of now and actually really enjoy. I work with veggies a lot, and sometimes tofu. I can do some really tasty stir frys, salads, and roasts... sometimes all vegetarian, sometimes with some lean meats added. They're extremely healthy and really, really tasty. A lot of junk food has lost its appeal, and I hardly ever do fast food. The last couple of times I went to McDonald's I walked out without ordering anything. Not too much on the menu appeals anymore.

Not yet, but I'll let you know when that happens!

Last edited by fivestone; 04-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #23  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up Let's see

About 20. Since then my capris and pants have been practically falling off of me. I'm now between sizes.

10lbs. A co-worker of mine commented.

Haven't been able to afford rewards, but I know I am proud.

Taebo and WATP. Since then I haven't exercised much. I noticed I lost more without Taebo and WATP. I think it was because I was not ready to exercise. Now I walk.

29.8 lbs later I am in between sizes.

Not really, though I have tried new things.

When I made 25 lbs lost. 25 is half of 50 and 1/3 of my lifetime goal, 163. From there I will re-evaluate.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #24  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't exactly remember the first, but the first memorable experience was fitting into a pair of Lane Bryant size 2 pants that were too snug when I'd ordered them by catalog. I was still about 215 pounds and felt THIN.

Here's the quote from the thread I started about this question. I weighed about 207 at this point so almost 30 pounds down.
Quote:
They're finally noticing! I've been secretly dressing nicely lately in clothes that actually fit. And I don't own many so it hasn't been easy! LOL! Finally today two people noticed within about 15 minutes of each other.

Yay!

I don't remember. I've mostly been rewarded by how I feel.

Here is a copied portion of a thread I started way back then:
Quote:
"I'm going to start exercising. I've been convinced. What convinced me was a conversation here at 3CF about two women both 5'0", both 155 lbs, one was in a size 8 and the other a size 12. Yep...that's why I need to exercise. Because I don't want to lose 40% muscle, I want to lose 100% FAT. But I have an all or nothing mentality, so I need some help keeping things in perspective. I do not want to go off the deep end! I went off the deep end before, hit a wall and quit. By deep end...I mean think training for the olympics.

I'm starting with:
3 days working with my exercise ball (strength training)
2 days nice long walk...to be determined. LOL!

This is not too much, right? And by how much should I increase my calories? I NEED to increase them. I'm at 1200 without the exercise. I'm really not trying to be stupid. "
And now, I do one hour of heavy lifting every day, spin M/W/F, run 3 miles T/TH and 6 miles some Saturdays.

I've purchased clothing in smaller sizes from the beginning and no, I haven't kept any but a couple of my starter pants. But I did accidentally buy a pair of size 10 women's jeans that were in the wrong section at the thrift store. I bought them for my son, but they turned out to be women's, not little boys. I put them in my closet thinking not even my arm would ever fit them! I took pictures of myself with them down around my ankles and continued taking pictures as they slowly started to fit. Now they're too big!

New foods: pomegranate, Brussels Sprouts, fennel, kale, leeks, swiss chard, parsnips, greek yogurt, quinoa, soy milk, buffalo meat, duck and figs. Most of these were discovered by reading about them on 3FC. Love this place!

Yes, the day it clicked in my head that this was going to take some time, that this journey was not going to be linear and that despite my best efforts I wasn't going to lose weight every week. The day I decided to stick with this for one year no matter what made the difference between being successful and remaining fat. For me it was that simple.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I was ready to bust out of my clothes at 245, so I noticed within the first few pounds. It felt good to be able to breathe again.

My office roommate commented on how my walking regimen seemed to be paying off at 25lbs lost.

I don't usually do the reward thing. What does stick out in my mind is starting to run for 30 seconds at a time and deciding to reward that effort with a pair of good running shoes. After dropping $125 on shoes and inserts, I knew I would keep running.

I started off walking the mile loop at the business park where I work once a day. My legs would ache after 50 ft. Now I walk 7 days a week for a minimum of 3 miles. I run 3-4 days a week and weight train 3-4 days per week.

I don't remember what it was, maybe because I was able to do a lot of shopping in my own closet, so to speak.

Gosh, I have tried so many new things in the last couple of years. After watching Food Inc., my way of eating changed completely. I have become a food snob. I eat organic or locally raised food as much as possible. Give me goat cheese, Greek yogurt, or elk burgers over a Big Mac any day.

Yes. The first moment I truly believed what my husband has been telling me for years, that I am beautiful.

I had to represent my company at an unemployment hearing. Since I work in a factory, I rarely have the need to dress up. So I took this opportunity to buy a nice red button down blouse, black skirt, black pantyhose, and the cutest strappy black patent leather high heels. I was so stoked about those shoes and I was pretty sure the girls at work would love them. That was the only reaction I expected. After all, the skirt was knee length, the whole look was very " business ".

Imagine my surprise when jaws dropped and eyes went out on stalks everywhere I went. Nearly every person I talked to told me how gorgeous I was. I wanted to check behind me for some hot chick because I thought surely they can't be staring at and talking about me. It was so unnerving I had to change my clothes when I got back.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

Default My .02 :0)

About 10 lbs. Face was slimmer ( hate when my face was chubby) and clothing fit MUCH better. I felt great but since I had been down this rd many times before and have a huge goal ( 40lbs) I knew if was just the beginning.

About 12 lbs. I had a co-workers stop me and ask " What did you do to get so thin?!" in a room full of people. It was a little embarrassing but I was beaming for the rest of the day. Comments from more co-workers, friends, family and the bf ( who thinks im " too skinny")now have since followed.

No rewards yet. My brother gave me a gift certificate for a 1.5 hour massage. I told myself after I was a solid 140lbs I would schedule an appt. 4.9 lbs to go!

Ive been working out all my life it seems. Mainly with the programs that came on the fitness channels back in the day . Now its a mix of spinning, weight training, the step mill, tabata training, and soon running.

I havent bought anything new yet. I want to wait to buy new clothes until I am about 5lbs away from goal. That way I can invest in a nice new wardrobe and be confident and motivated to keep going and maintain.

Ive always been a fan of food both healthy and unhealthy so there aren't really many once hated foods that I eat now and love. I have noticed that a lot of the food I used to love ( taco bell, micky d's or any french fries, super sweet things) totally disgust me now that Ive purged them from my system. I hope this feeling lasts forever lol

In the past few weeks Ive felt totally empowered by this lifestyle change. Ive been able to kill cravings for the bad foods I used to love, make many physical improvements, and see accomplishment of goals. I can only imagine how Ill feel once my goal is met and maintenance begins . Just shy of a 20lb loss and this no longer feels like a diet, chore, or uphill battle. It truly is a way of life and I want to live it forever

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 04-29-2011 at 03:13 PM.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #27  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

It took a long time and probably about 40 pounds or so to feel it. Because I continue to wear the clothes I wore 40 pounds heavier, all it felt like was getting baggier clothes and not that I was getting thinner. I was still obese, so nothing was dramatic at that time. I also feared that it wouldn't go much further.

Never. Even after an 88 pounds weight loss. This was hard to deal with at first. My mother asked me if I had been ill, my husband only noticed my wedding ring was getting too big, but only because he's gained too much to wear his.

I don't really get into rewards. After the 88 pound loss, I went through my entire wardrobe and threw away all clothing that was too big. Left me with just a couple of things, so I did buy a few more pieces. My goal reward is a new tattoo when I get under 200 pounds.

I do not work out.

No, I have gotten smaller since the first smaller clothing. Went from size 4-5X to 2X. Still a long way to go. I do not have any 3X clothes anymore.

I pretty much eat the same foods I have always eaten, only in a very low carb form. The only new foods is the SF chocolates and candies, which I really enjoy. They have really improved over the years.

Yes, the moment my belly stopped looking like a 20 month pregnancy. When it finally deflated enough to look somewhat in proportion to the rest of my body, I was startled and pleased.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #28  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

I'm still on my journey but figured I'd answer anyway

Probably about 20 pounds I felt my clothes fit better, I prefer looser clothes so I still wear most of the same things!

After I lost about 30 pounds people started noticing, I couldn't see that big of a different myself so it was nice to have others mention it.

I bought myself a few new sports bras and an exercise bike, does that count? :-P When I get under 230 I'll probably do something big, that's the point I was at before I started gaining a lot.

I started just walking. I still do it! I also have an exercise bike and workout DVDs now.

I still haven't bought any smaller clothes tbh, my shirts and stuff are looser but they still fit (there were on the verge of too small at my heaviest). I still have my clothes from my "normal" weight before I gained a bunch so I won't have to buy any until I get below that (around 215-230 is what my weight was before).

When I first started, I ate terribly. The only good thing I did was use skim milk! The first switch I made was whole grain, it started simple with just using whole grain bread instead of white. Then whole grain pasta, brown rice instead of white, ect. I used to be really picky with food, I still am but I'm a little better. I'll eat foods with onions, garlic, and pepers in them, three things I used to avoid. I eat carrots, peas, and green beans. Most importantly I discovered I love spices!

I don't have a particular moment that sticks out really. Part of my motivation has always been thinking about where I started. When I weighed myself the first day and I saw 299 I knew I had to change. I didn't want to step into the 300s, and it made me sad to think about a few years ago I was struggling to get under 200. I couldn't believe I let it get that far. That's my number one thing I go to if I don't feel like sticking with it, I can still bring up that feeling of dread and disappointment. It keeps me going
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

About 20lbs I noticed my shirts were bigger. I also take a pic of myself in the same outfit every 10lbs i lose. putting the pics side by side i could really notice.

People who knew i was dieting said something sooner but it only counts when someone who didn't know says something lol. Around 25lbs. A guy I dated briefly a couple years ago who actually asked me if i was pregnant, which lit the fire under my *** to start this journey, came up to me and asked if i had lost weight and said that i looked good. Felt so gratifying.

10lbs down = pedicure

What did you do for your first workout and how has your workout changed since then? I actually didn't do any excercise at all for the first 20lbs. I work 45+hrs a week so its hard to fit it in. But getting smaller i need to tone up so Ive started C25k.

I bought a new shirt. I do still wear it but its almost to big now but i LOVE it so its bittersweet

Are there foods you used to hate but now you love? Have you tried any new foods that you had never eaten before? Can't think of anything i used to hate but i have tried so many new foods that i love- turkey burgers, butternut squash, sweet potato fries, whole wheat pasta, pesto.

About a month in my boyfriend ordered chinese food and i was eating my healthy on plan meal and i didn't feel like giving in at all. I felt so proud of myself and i knew i could do this!

Last edited by WeightForMe; 04-30-2011 at 11:14 PM.
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #30  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

Height: 5'8

I had only lost 10 pounds but I'd shrunk 15 inches all around my body, with the biggest loss in my waist. That "instant" 2 week bloat loss really got my mind set to see things through.

My first comment was around 20 pounds. A few friends remarked I had baggy jeans on. The best time was just recently, when a doctor friend I'd not seen in 2 months noticed my nearly 40 pound loss and told me to write a book about it. :P

My first reward was trying on a pair of knee socks I couldn't fit into for the last 5 years... and they fit perfectly. I reached this when my calves got down to 18 inches.

My first workout was the only thing I could physically do - walk. I labored to walk half a mile in 30 minutes back then but I always suffered from tired calves, raw thighs and being out of breath. I still walk, only now it's for 2 miles during an hour in the morning and then I dance to high bpm music and lift weights at night. I'm able to do a whole lot more now, and that is very satisfying.

I went to an estate sale and purchased a dress 2 sizes lower than I thought I could wear. When I got it home, it wound up fitting me perfectly. At the moment, it's quite baggy in the waist, which is a nice problem to have.

Radishes, sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts have become huge favorites. I like them all plain and as fresh as they come.

Being able to sit amongst friends and family during a celebration and be very sane in my food choices really drives things home to me. Getting to that point where I don't feel an enormous amount of pressure to fit in with overeating is such a huge thrill. I still have my own personal off days but I don't feel intimidated in crowds like I once did and that's awesome.
586 is offline   Reply With Quote