Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Honestly at first I was a little embarrassed to be on one but then I thought about it and I am more embarrassed to be fat and all the things that go along with that. Like if your fat and you want two cookies people seem to judge you but if your not and you want two its all good. I don't care if people know I am on one its just how they seem to judge you no matter what you do. If your fat you must have gotten that way because you shoveled food in your mouth 24/7 and if your losing weight then you must be doing it in an unhealthy way. UGH
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #17  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

Yes, I denied it until it became too obvious to do so now I play it down lol I don't like the focus being on what I am eating or how much etc it does embarass me.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #18  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

No. I've never been embarrassed about it. I really didn't care what people thought about my "diet". They could have teased me about it until **** froze over and I didn't care. I didn't hide it, nor did I talk about it in great lengths. But if someone was to ask me about it, I'd tell them whatever they wanted to know. My shame was not in losing, my shame was 333 pounds. My theory was, mock all you like, I knew who would be laughing in the end. ME! Because I knew I would feel great!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 415/413/175

Height: 5'9"

I havent even read any of the replies yet, but I just had to comment on your original post!! OMG I know EXACTLY what you are feeling!!
Just this morning I was debating making a post about being "scared" to be on a diet...and with that, feeling embarrassed about being on one.
Its like, if a "normal" sized person orders a certain way, thats expected, but being a bigger person, when you order the same way, people tend to point it out!

Its like "HELLO! I do have feelings here!!"

I do know that for me its going to be hard to get over the fear and embarrassment associated with dieting. Like its not bad enough I am embarrassed about being as big as I am! LOL

I know in time I will be able to move past it all, and you will too, but I totally feel you in the now! As I am sure others have replied, dont let it get to you, you can do it!!!
KiltedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

I feel embarassed all the time because most of my friends are guys they give me the look!!! Then I give them the finger! And order ha ha
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 305/258/170

I'm one of those that doesn't want many to know I'm on a d-i-e-t. People started paying attention to what you eat and particular attention when you fail. I prefer "nutritional adjustment" over the diet word, because I'm changing my nutrition. I'd rather people notice when I'm slimming down and then I will share. Depending who it is, they may get an amended version of the how's and why's. Silly, I know.
MissAngelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

It's real that folks free to make challenging comments about someone's eating.

So, to take that into account, I'd recommend only stating that
"My doctor has me watching which foods I eat - hopes to see better numbers on my tests."
And then nothing else. People are more reluctant to debate what your doctor told you.

And the statement is undoubtedly true - of some doctor somewhere in your history.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I have never told anyone when I am dieting, except one really good friend. What I eat and how much I weigh is just not up for discussion, fat, thin, or in between. I admit, I am not as uncomfortable now that I have been successful in losing 18 pounds and am a "normal, healthy" weight as I was when I began. My kids have become suspicious though, my 12-year-old started out by asking me how much weight I have lost from running. I said, none. Partially true, I don't think exercise contributes all that much to weight loss for me. He said "Well, you look skinnier." This week, he has asked A LOT of questions like why was I always looking at calories, and why I didn't eat the same dinner as him the last couple nights, and why am I using a small plate at dinner. The kid wanted answers and had a new question every day. I don't know why I have such a hard time admitting wanting to lose weight, even to a 12-year-old kid LOL So, I finally just told him I am trying to eat healthier and he is now satisfied.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #24  

YES! I hate to admit that I am doing something for my own well being, we are all programmed to help others but not ourselves.

I try to avoid it! and make excuses big time! The other day someone asked why I wasn't eating the cake/slice I had cooked for a social gathering and I grabbed a piece of watermelon and said "nah, I have had a craving for watermelon lately" and avoided the topic.

I have a big dinner to go out to tomorrow night and I am cringing inside, I don't want to blow My diet (though its more of a healthy lifestyle not a diet) but I plan to stick to my guns, (I am down 90 pounds from my heaviest) and I truelly don't think my body will take crap food, the thought makes me ill.
BUt I am worried about what people will say when I order a salad and bypass the booze that normally is part of our gatherings.
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #25  
Lani Loves Lettuce!

S/C/G: 381/361/351

I when on my first real diet at 17, and I didn't want to tell anyone. I kinda thought that no one would notice that I was HUGE if I never talked about it

By now (10 yrs on) everyone is over my dieting. It's nothing new to them. However I only tell my close friends and family. I like talking about nutrition and it helps having people to talk about it with. I dont tell work mates ect. because I still have that thread of embarrassment, thinking that ppl will just roll their eyes and think I'm so far gone I'm just a lost cause.
Focused Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #26  

I must though add that since i have lost a lot of weight (its really noticeable when you drop nearly 10 dress sizes) I have women being more open to me about their weight and struggles. That I found very hard to deal with too, I had a lady telling me last week shes 130 kg and trys so hard, does 3-4 hours excercise a day including zumba, martial arts.. etc , and she will list it out, then I see her sitting down to lunch and continuously eating :\, healthy foods yes, but the amount is not healthy. I don't want to say anything but I felt she was coming to me for a miracle cure as I have been suceeding. What can I say to not hurt her? anyway she is one of 3 lately asking me and for someone who hates the spotlight it is hard to deal with too.
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #27  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I refuse to be embarrassed for taking back control. For me, my regain was a result of laziness and going with the flow. Well, I drowned in that flow. Not anymore. I'm swimming strong and I dare them to keep up! Lol!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Honestly, I was never embarrassed about the healthy choices I was starting to make when I began this journey. If anyone thought anything other than "good for her, she's doing something good for herself" then I didn't care about their opinions.

What did embarrass me was what I did before then, being the fat girl who was seen eating a bunch of unhealthy garbage... something I see now as giving other people a view of me publicly destructing myself, or digging myself deeper into the hole I was obviously in.

Nowadays, I'm absolutely proud about what I choose to eat because it's good for me, good for the animals, and good for the environment and I have NO reason to be embarrassed about that.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I have told 2 close girlfriends at work (and my mom/sister), but that's it. I work with a bunch of guys, and I don't feel like having them pay attention to what I'm eating (or not eating) or looking too closely for changes. It's just awkward. My boss is currently low carbing (is down 8 lbs I think, has 7 to go... goal is like 132... he's a small guy damn him lol) and talks about it allll daaaay loooong.

Someone brought in a bunch of junk food yesterday and they were trying to get me to eat one of the things, and I wouldn't - they said "did you give up sugar for lent?" I said no, you saw me eat a choc dipped strawberry (that I worked into my calories). So I think they are suspicious, especially since I used to be the first one to the cookie tray on Thursday afternoons (they feed us to death there).
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #30  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Besides on here, I don't talk much about my diet except to DH. My parents know mostly because we visited them since I started losing weight and I wanted to watch what I was eating while we were there (and workout too). My best friend also knows because she's also trying to lose. But beyond that I've mentioned to a handful of other people that I've given up sugar but I don't really say much about it being to lose weight.

I've always been one who eats salads and a lot of veggies in general so people don't really see that as out of the ordinary for me. My biggest weakness is sugar but that's not as much of an issue in public since normally we go out for dinner with friends, not desserts.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote