Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/239/130

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy Losing my focus and feeling lost

I have been all over the place lately with my weight loss. It's not about the diets themselves (I think I've tried them all!). I lose my focus and motivation just as I'm starting to see some weight loss.

I am so worried for my health. I have no health complications... yet! I'm 26 and it's embarrassing that I don't have the "oomph" to help myself.

I am trying to work on my motivation. I know that's the key because as long as I stay on a program, I will see results.

But here's where I need help right now... I need a healthy diet that a very busy person can follow.

I am inundated with school day in and day out. I don't want to go back to Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig because they're not sustainable for me. I don't want to go back to Atkins because I need a bit more flexibility. And I'm already failing at the Mediterranean diet because I'm falling behind on cooking. I don't know if I want to go back to WW because I tend to try to cheat with my Points.

I feel insane right now. From one diet to another to another... I'm in a vicious cycle. I'm so confused!

I need something simple and direct. I hate calorie counting but am willing to do it as long as I don't have to also keep track of percentages and ratios, lol.

Any suggestions for a completely worn-out dieter who is strapped for time?
laueliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

calorie counting is by far the most flexible thing to do
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Don't worry about motivation. That's not the key. The key is just committing to DOING IT,whether you want to or not, are excited about it or not. Hour after hour, meal after meal, day after day, you're working on a healthier you. Motivated or not. Plan for success - do prep work one day a week, forgive yourself when you stray off plan into more food than you need, and get back on track. You can stay on the plan without being motivated, but being committed. Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #4  

I know this will be one of those things that is much easier said than done, but here goes:

Some of the best advice I ever got was, "don't go on a diet. Change your eating behavior for a better lifestyle." Another thing someone said was, "I eat to live. I don't live to eat." So...don't go on a diet. Instead, put forth effort to make better food choices...for life. Sure, you can indulge here and there in strict moderation. Total deprivation is not a good thing either. Its about balance both in diet and activity. At the grocery store, skip the candy aisle, skip the soda aisle, skip the snack aisle, and (hardest for me) skip the bakery and ice cream sections. Get plenty of lean proteins. If you use hamburger, buy extra lean. Use whole grain breads and use them in moderation. Try making it so that the majority of your grocery list is full of your favorite fresh fruits and vegies. Don't over-do the fruit...I know from experience that it can pack on the pounds because of the sugar in it. It might be natural sugar, but regardless...it can add pounds. Like I said earlier...its about finding a healthy balance and its about replacing old eating habits with new ones and making it a regular routine. You can do it!!!! One thing that has helped me is to jot down all the reasons that motivate me to do it. And I jotted down a harsh reminder to myself how awful I feel each time I slip or go off or stop exercising.
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I have to agree.

This isn't about what diet works, all diets work at the end of the day, right?

The question is, what is sustainable for you RIGHT NOW at this moment in your life.

Calorie counting is the best. Just figure out how much you want to it and stick to the number, you don't have to figure out ratios or percentages of anything.

But since you're changing how you eat now, maybe this is the time to start thinking of this as a lifestyle change rather than a "diet".

Eat healthy foods. Don't eat too much processed stuff. You'll find keeping within your calories will be easier. As a student, there's lots of travel ready foods -- bananas and apples to name a few. Yogurt is also handy. All of this doesn't pack on the calories.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I think I would start small with simple changes like eating more protein and moderating your carbs. You don't have to go low carb but just moderate them and make sure to get enough protein. I do this along with calorie counting and it really has helped with my weight loss.

I also agree with nationalparker too. Just do it anyway. I don't want to count calories or worry about what I eat but I have to b/c it's what's needed to take care of myself. Am I always motivated? No. And I fall off the wagon. BUT I committed to failing as many times as I need to in order to get to where I need to be.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #7  

Thank you guys

You're so right -- it's about a commitment to weight loss, motivation or not. I feel like I knew that at one time but somehow lost sight of everything. Thank you so much for reminding me! I really do need to focus on making a commitment.

I think I will try calorie counting. It will be flexible with my needs yet keep me on track.

Are there any online resources you all like for doing this?

I really appreciate the helpful comments
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I calorie count and write down what I eat. I aim for veggies and fruit first, protein second, complex carbs and junky stuff last. No macronutrients breakdowns, just a running tally I keep in an app on my iPad. It's fast, maybe thirty seconds before each meal, and keeps me accountable.

That, plus daily weighing and a commitment to not quitting? It's my recipe for (simple) success.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #9  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

For me, a lot of the past couple months has been about being conscious of what I'm eating. I do track my food on the website associated with my FitBit (a great purchase, by the way), but even on days if I forget to track, get too lazy, or just don't know the exact portion or ingredients of what I eat, I think about what I'm eating. Before, I would just eat whatever sounded good; now, I take a moment to consider how healthful it is and how it fits into my plan before eating.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #10  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I vote for calorie counting too, and as for losing motivation and being all over the place, I completely recognize that state of mind, and all you can do is start every day over, with new determination, until you can start to run a few good days together.

Using a tracker programme is crucial for me. I use DietPower (one-off payment of $49 but there are free ones out there too), because when I first started losing weight I was stunned to discover how poor my vits and mins intake was. Being low on some of these can have a real effect on your health, and on your mental attitude too. I know some books say you should get all your vits and mins from a normal healthy diet but it really isn't possible on a reduced-intake one.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #11  
One calorie at a time

S/C/G: 155/149/135

Height: 5'4"

Another vote for calorie counting. No special foods to buy. Plus, what you eat can be as cheap/expensive, simple/elaborate as you like. I use My Fitness Pal for iphone. Free, fast, and convenient. You can add your exercise as well, and see stats from the past week/month and the breakdown. I only track cals, but it's interesting to be able to see fat/pro/carb sometimes.

It really is about commitment - but the motivation part is what we're all here to help you with
Missjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #12  

Thank you everyone for your practical and helpful advice I appreciate the help!