Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Default Has your favourite junk food turned against you? Mine did!

So today I met up with my BFF who is also trying to lose weight. At more than 70 lbs overweight and borderline hypertensive, she is going to the gym, but not losing any weight. Today clearly explains why I have been more successful at weight loss and also shows why I will have to avoid more lunch dates with her (lovely girl, but we get into food mischief together!). After all, I almost wiped out my daily caloric intake with just lunch!

So we decide on harmless sushi, after all, I have been eating sushi over time and still lost weight. However, today, for the first time in over 6 months, I skipped breakfast as I was rushing- FIRST MISTAKE

We ordered sushi and by this I am starving, so I decide to order two rolls- SECOND MISTAKE. My justification is that after all, I did not eat breakfast and the rolls are small about 600 cals between the two, but just to be conscientious of my diet, I did not order any drink (avoiding calories of course!). My friend also ordered two, but made one of hers a higher calorie shrimp tempura roll. Have you ever justified your eating choice even when you know it is bad?

We finished eating and my friend says to follow her to Haagen Daz- THIRD MISTAKE. So we get to Haagen Daz and I order a strawberry cheesecake scoop and went all the way by having it in a waffle cone instead of a plain no calorie plastic cup! Can I say that by the time I was nearly through, I could feel the sugar coursing through my veins. I got an instant headache and I felt so sluggish that I could hardly keep my eyes open to drive home. I got home and slept for 3 hours straight!

The last time I had ice cream 3 months ago, a similar thing, happened to me. I can drink milk fine, but ice cream is obviously a no no since changing the way I eat. I eat sugar but in such small quantity and I use splenda and stevia to sweeten everything.
I am wondering then, if anyone else has had issues with eating once common foods that now gives them problems?
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #2  

hi guys,,,
Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us.Many of us will learn a lesson from it and try to get rid of there bad eating habits.
It is an essential for good healthy to always eat the healthy food.

Last edited by Norris; 03-16-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #3  
focused.

S/C/G: 125/65/65 (kg)

Height: 1.73/5'8"

I ll go ahead and say YES ! But i understand that even i have various symptoms, most of them are caused by my bad psychology for going off plan.
Engraved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

High Carbs, simple sugars and too many fats alwasy put me in a coma after eating. All have inflammatory powers that run havoc to your hormonal system. That's why, once I start its hard to lay off! My best advise is not togo there anymore. Def eat breakfast...it is a life saver and say NO to tempations and your BFF.
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I've been back on the avoiding sugar bandwagon for a couple of days, but after burning a ton of calories yesterday I decided to go for a nonfat chai latte at Starbucks, which has quite a bit of sugar in it. Big mistake - tore up my stomach and I had to find a bathroom while grocery shopping. Maybe I'll wise up and stay away!
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I've found the opposite: now that I've lost a lot of weight and shifted to a generally higher protein/lower carb lifestyle, I find the occasional sugar bomb bothers me much less: when I was 300 lbs and pre-diabetic, a big piece of cake or something would have sent me to bed for a nap. But now that my insulin is in normal levels and my endocrine system is functioning properly, if I do that once in a while I don't even get jittery.

Not that I am taking this as a reason to eat all sugar all the time, but now that I am maintaining, there's room in my calories for treats, and I seem to be able to handle them better.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #7  

WOW do I know what you're talking about with your BFF. My older brother who I love just hanging out with turns out to be my #1 downfall when trying to lose wieght and stay healthy.

I can be doing excellent, staying away from junk food and fast food but the moment he and I get together, its BAMM!!! bring on the food. Over the years I associate a good time is hanging out with him and eating out. And him the same with me.
LaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #8  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Remember that feeling! Try not to do it again! That's what I always say to myself, anyway.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #9  

Thanks all for your replies,

I am trying to stay on track as with 33lbs down and only 9lbs more to lose, I cannot afford not to stay on track. Sometimes I wonder if some of the people in my life are not trying to dissuade me from losing more weight (the same persons who told me how heavy I looked!). Good thing, I decided to lose weight for me and no one else. I guess everyone has at least one saboteur in their lives, whether the person intentionally does so or thru his or her own poor eating habits, tempt you to go off plan. Ah well, back to counting calories and avoiding the sugar rush! It did not help that at Kiwanis meeting last night they had red velvet cake! It is a conspiracy I tell you!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I've had a lot of issues and changes since I have changed my eating...

1. i am more sensitive to spicy food (I guess b/c I am eating so many plain veggies)

2. When I to stray and eat late I get indigestion.

3. staple foods I used to eat all the time that I cut out... when I have strayed to taste them I don't like anymore-- mainly rice, pasta and potatoes.

4. the chocolate cake I was allowing myself to indulge in just didn't taste worth it so I didn't eat it.

It all makes me think I shouldn't stray at all- but what gets me everytime is this weird compulsion especially at night to want to feel a FULL stomach.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #11  

Well guys, , it seems like that ice cream set off a chain reaction because my entire eating plan has been off. Whether it is due to meds I am taking or just that the taste of "junk" has thrown my body off kilter. I have not been feeling hungry and when I do go to eat something light, I soon feel hungry, but when it is time to eat again, the lack of desire to eat is there (my blood pressure has been about 80/60 and causing low feelings).

I am afraid that my weight loss plan is not working this week, as either I have eaten too much junk one day or not enough quality foods for the 1200-1300 calories on the other days. Maybe with 9lbs to go I am becoming too complacent!