Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #1  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Dealing with Stress?! :(

Life right now, is throwing me lots of curve balls. And on top of being an emotional eater, a boredom eater, I am also a stress eater.

When things get tough I make a beeline for the snacks.

Sometimes I really wonder how much more I can take before I break.

Last Thursday, my mom texted me while I was at work to tell me that at the end of the month, she is being laid off. She has worked for this person (it's a small three person office/operation) for 25 years. They way in which they told her, was really crappy, and the whole story behind how they got there- too long to get into. But both me and my daughter- as well as my brother and his daughter, live with my mom, and now my grandma, who is in poor health, is here too. It was devastating.

Over the weekend, my grandma's health deteriorated even more. (She has asthma and COP, she was fine and then all of a sudden in the spring of last year, her health and breathing just fell out. And the doctor's can't figure it out because her lung function is better now, than it was a few years ago, when she was mobile, independent, swimming every day, going shopping.. etc etc.. so we brought her here to Philadelphia where we have better hospitals and doctors who aren't going to kill her. (another long story)

So she's been here since the week before Christmas and I'm STILL trying to unpack all her crap and find places for it. The house is a disaster because stuff is everywhere.. but anyway.. my mom takes her to the dr on Tuesday night and he sends her immediately to the hospital. Her oxygen levels are too low.

My brother comes home that same night and tells me HIS job is thinking about doing part time or temporary layoffs (he's a roofer.. can't work when it snows every few days). We've decided to keep this from my mom, because it might not even happen, and what's the point in worrying her more if it might not happen?

So my grandmother is still in the hospital.. first they thought she had a minor heart attack, and then they thought that she had a major heart attack at some point last year.. and then did a heart catheter and found.. nothing.

Back to square one.

My job is frustrating and stressful right now because.. well, I do the work of 2 people. But only get paid the salary of one person.

And when I get stressed, the muscles in my chest tighten and squeeze. It's highly uncomfortable, and sometimes hard to breathe. We suspect I have Chest Wall Syndrome (my dad had it) but I have to have an ultrasound done on my heart to make sure I don't have mitrolvalve something or other.

And all I want to do.. is eat everything, Honestly, not only do I not know how to deal with stress, I don't even know how to let things go that I have no control over. How do you relax and let go? How do you combat stress. Someone please tell me how to make the squeezing in my chest go away so I can breathe, LOL!

(Oh, and I can't meditate. It makes me physically ill. )

Any suggestions? I am an uptight person when things crash down like this... I literally feel like I am wound up too tight.. like a clock.

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

There is not much you can do to change what is happening, that you worry or not about your grand mother she is in good hands at the hospital, your mother might find a better job than the one she as, same for your brother and anxiety might be the reason why you have those peelings in your chest.

Walking for me is a good way to relax, it help s me calm down. Try it and let life take care of itself.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #3  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Exercising can help too.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

Even after you have that snack or food, the stress is still going to be there. The food is not going to cure it. You have to deal with the stress in other ways such as exercise, listening to music, reading a book or taking up a new hobby. I think it also helps to think about that the extra weight you have is only making your health problems worse. If you eat healthy, avoid grazing and lose weight I bet you will feel so much better.

I know I feel so much better now that I have lost some weight and I too had to deal with my husband being laid off for an entire year (2010). There will always be things in life you just can't control, you have to do only what you can do.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Now is the time to find Faith in God if you don't believe in God. Prayer helps!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Exercise.

I love to exercise and it's not because of any weight loss I might incur doing it. I exercise because it takes the stress away. When I'm execising, I don't have to worry. It's a full 60 minutes (or however long) where I'm just focused on lifting my leg or using this muscle. It helps. I get more energy. I get the break to go back to the stress of my life.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #7  
We'll go with that!

You're right SweetyKins- even after I eat that snack, the stress will still be there. Thank you for reminding me of that. I haven't quite figured out what else to do when the urge hits. It's not like i can stop and exercise when I'm in the middle of work. I feel like as soon as my eyes open in the morning, I am in non-stop mode. And it doesn't stop until I close my eyes at night. Being a single mom and working full time leaves little time during the day for me. I just recently started to squeeze in exercise. (Although it helps that my daughter likes to do it with me, as opposed to being up my butt about something when I'm trying to exercise.)

Sorry FoodObsessed- I'm not religiously inclined. But thank you for the thought.

I guess I'll have to find another way to self sooth that I can do anytime, anywhere. So long as I'm not rocking in a corner somewhere.

LR
Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #8  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Have you tried yoga?
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #9  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

Bach Flower Remedy. Works wonders.

Or Kalms or whatever the equivalent is where you live - those things can get me on a plane and I'm absolutely terrified of flying. They'll bliss you out to the point where you're like 'dude, bring it, I don't care any more.' They're basically a natural remedy to chill you out.

Only don't drive after you've taken them, they make you a bit sleepy.
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #10  
We'll go with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Have you tried yoga?
Yes, I used to be very good at it a long time ago (and a thinner version of myself) But I pulled out one of my yoga DVD's this week (not a beginner version, I've seemed to lost that dvd when we moved) and while in the middle of some camel poses, when I was coming out out it, I must have pinched something in my back or neck and I passed out for a few seconds. I woke up with a face full of carpet, and my daughter sitting next to me saying "Mommy? Mommy? Are you ok? Is it bedtime?"

I was only out for a split second, because the DVD was still going through the camel pose section. But I'm still sore!

I actually just picked up a new beginner DVD today while at target. Hopefully it will help me get reacquainted with Yoga.. and my balance!

LR
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #11  
We'll go with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysteria View Post
Bach Flower Remedy. Works wonders.

Or Kalms or whatever the equivalent is where you live - those things can get me on a plane and I'm absolutely terrified of flying. They'll bliss you out to the point where you're like 'dude, bring it, I don't care any more.' They're basically a natural remedy to chill you out.

Only don't drive after you've taken them, they make you a bit sleepy.
Hmm.. guess I can't take that at work!

LR
Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #12  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

I'd suggest not buying "snacks" at all... to stock your house full of healthy food only. But that may be hard with other people living there... maybe have them keep their snacks in their room as to not tempt you.

Oh, maybe put a picture of something inspiring to your diet (a celeb you fancy, yourself when you were skinnier, etc) on your frig/cubbards and when you go for a snack you see them there.

As others said, exercise helps too. Even if you job in place for a moment or two, it'll help. It'll get your blood flowing, which means more oxygen, and help give you a little boast.

I hope things get better for you soon!
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #13  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightRaven View Post
Hmm.. guess I can't take that at work!

LR
I do, it's what keeps me from sticking pencils in my colleague's eyes

Seriously, if you take the recommended dosage you'll be fine.
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote