Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #31  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

While you have absolutely every right to want to know what you're buying, and are aware of that right, doesn't take away the embarrassment of asking for some of us in my opinion. I feel the same way you do. I always try to camouflage when I'm looking at nutrition labels... and even though I know it's irrational to feel embarrassed, and no one is probably paying attention to me anyway it still doesn't change the way I feel. I just suck it up... it is just one more reason to be motivated to lose weight. I know once I'm in shape I'll feel smug and proud as I flaunt my nutrition label reading at the grocery store
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #32  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I'm the opposite. I'll ask for nutritional info at the drop of a hat. I'm a little OCD about reading, and nutritional labels are one of those things that I have to read. I carry a mini-book of common restaurant chain nutritional menus in my purse.

My husband isn't thrilled by my enthusiasm, since he's a lot like most other people. He hates asking for nutritional info. He's like, "We're eating at MCDONALDS. Why are you asking about nutritional info?! This is far from nutritious!" Why do I? Well, because I HAVE to know what's going into my body, good or bad.

Next time you go in there, go on and request it. You have every right to as their customer.

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 01-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #33  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

chickybird - that is awesome, thank you. I can now eat and log a couple of bread that I frequently go without because of not being able to log them. WooHoo! Off to WM now.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I feel that way... not with just asking for calorie counts but also for asking things to be cooked with no oil or sauce, dressings on the side. I think I feel like I'm being high maintenance or people might think I'm OCD about my diet... I wish I could prance around like a naturally skinny person that doesn't need to worry about calories. but you know what, it all comes down to not caring what others think and doing what's best for you. Either people worry about other's weights, then they worry about what and how you are eating.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #35  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I absolutely know what you mean. I'm sometimes even ashamed to order salads or diet sodas because I'm afraid people will thing "Who are you kidding?" Anything that could call even the slightest attention to my size terrifies me.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #36  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I have no qualms about looking at nutritional information on packages, or making special requests when ordering food. I don't notice what other people are buying in a grocery store, or whether they look for nutritional info on packages, so I guess I just assume others wouldn't do the same to me.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #37  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Label-reading isn't an issue for me because I've always done it; it's fascinating to me what sorts of things companies will do to make their product look better than it is. (Did you know that fat-free graham crackers actually have ten calories more per serving than the regular kind? Gotta love when they replace fat with sugar.) It's just stuff that requires me to involve another person like a waiter or a clerk that makes me uncomfortable.

The phrase you used, Ringmaster--"high maintenance"--that's what I fear being. Not just with food-related stuff, either; this thread has made me realize that I won't ask a clerk to find a dress in another size, won't call back to check on a prescription unless there's an automated system instead of a person, won't return an item most of the time, won't ask a waiter for anything. It all goes back to not wanting to be a bother, not wanting to be high-maintenance--it's totally silly because I am a sweetheart customer and a big tipper. I know too much about what it's like to be on the other side not to be that way.

This thread has made me resolve to be a little more assertive (but I promise to be courteous and tip well still).
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
chickybird - that is awesome, thank you. I can now eat and log a couple of bread that I frequently go without because of not being able to log them. WooHoo! Off to WM now.
Glad you like it!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #39  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I ordered a salad in a restaurant one day and the waiter looked up in surprise because I ordered it just as it came with no changes. He said most customers customize their orders.

I've never had a problem requesting items to eliminate things I dislike, like mayonnaise or paprika. I never thought about the waiter was thinking.

Why not read labels in the store? They're giving you the information you want to choose which item you'll buy. For all anyone else knows, you're looking at the ingredient list to make sure *** is not included. I price compare for different sizes and brands as well and don't think about what people think of that either. I really only pay attention to other people when they're blocking the aisle or blocking the merchandise I want to look at or buy.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

I have had to ask for special requests for a long time due to my lactose intolerance and being vegetarian. In fact the joke in my family is to tell the waiter do you want the hard order first or last. I never once have had a waiter complain.
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #41  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

It is definitely seen as being "fussy" here, and the usual response to requests for nutrition information is "we don't have any" even if you later find it is there on a website somewhere but the staff were not even aware of it. The other common response is "what did you want to order?" Like that's the way it works, as if I'm definitely going to choose the burger anyway, I just want to know how badly it's going to screw with me, not that I want a full list of all the nutrition information for the entire menu so I can choose the most appropriate item. We normally tell people it's for someone who is "on a special diet" - well, my diet is very special!

It doesn't help a lot, though. When my daughter was young she had a severe milk allergy. Everywhere seemed to think their obligations extended only as far as being able to tell us anything "may contain milk" and that we should stay home to make sure we avoided it. No, what I want to know is does that item contain milk, yes or no, not that it may do and we'd better not order it just in case. And then I would like you to go get us something dairy free. How hard is it to produce some unbuttered potatoes? But there's a definite feeling that people with special requirements don't belong in restaurants. Very annoying.

It's true madness that there are no laws here requiring the provision of nutrition information or even basic ingredients!

But I'll happily sit and read every label in the entire store. People automatically do it for price and special offers, why is it so weird to get a more expensive item because it's got a better nutrition label, or compare label information? I regularly weigh up the benefits of a reduced fat item against what else they have put in instead, or decide if the calorie difference is worth it (a skinny latte is revolting, for a 20cal saving I'll have the fat version!).

And I wish, I wish that online shopping made more of their label information available. Sometimes there's even a tantalising photo of the packaging and you can zoom in far enough to see the calories per portion but not far enough to read how many grams in a portion. Grrrr
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #42  
I'm Deaf & a SWEET Mommy

I felt the exact same way so that's why I have learned to just Google it instead of asking. I am just too embarrassed to ask. Why do they think it is OK not to put nutritional information on their products!! I thought it was supposed to be on EVERYTHING! Ugh!
KlasseMutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 300/300/150

Height: 5'9

I am the same way. Fortunately, my phone has a great calorie counter app and it has all of the info I need. You can also google the items that don't have the information and find out that way.
annah788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #44  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I admit I feel a little weird looking at nutritional facts and comparing them to other products when shopping, but that's the reason it is there. I think it is sad that we feel awkward and embarrassed asking for this information. Why should we? Why should society make us feel weird for wanting to be healthy?
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I think it is required in my state to have nutrition info available upon request. Most places I know have a section of the menu with the info. They can get grumpy sometimes when I ask for the info, I actually wrote a blog about it recently. I also have a family friend who has a LOT of allergies and she has a nearly impossible time going out to dinner.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote