Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #31  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've redefined what a "treat" is.

And I've made them rarer, so that they are indeed a "treat."

A handful of trail mix is now a treat. So is a cup of sugarfree cocoa. Or a Jell-O sugarfree pudding cup, stuck in the freezer for a while. Or a bowl of cherries. Or half of a papaya or pomegranate.

Some things that people consider "treats," I just don't eat any more. At all. Under any circumstances. Haven't, for going on three years now. And as my memory of eating them grows dimmer, I find I don't miss them & I don't crave them.

I'm just about re-set back to the mindset of my late grandmother, who was ecstatic to get an orange in her Christmas stocking during the early 1930s, because it was unusual for her to be given one during the dead of a northeastern Pennsylvania winter.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #32  

Once or twice a week. Monday is my usual treat day. But it can vary. Today I went to McDonalds and had two snack wraps and a snack-sized Oreo McFlurry as my treat. This was after a good workout. And the calories were counted!

Sometimes it might be pizza. I stick to my plan better if I can have the occasional treat. Otherwise I go nuts and eventually binge.

However, to some extent, I've re-defined treats. My usual treat on a Friday after my gym class is home-made whole wheat/oat/banana pancakes. Other times, a treat might be a single serving of Greek Yogurt with 21g honey. Or an apple with almond butter. Or a home-made softserve frozen treat from my VitaMix. Sometimes I make whole wheat bread and hubby and I have a grill cheese sandwich for a treat. Or an expensive piece of fish might be a treat.

But I'll also look on things like toasted walnuts on my salads as yummy and a treat. Or a great piece of fruit. So I guess you could say that I work treats in on a frequent basis. It's just that most of the frequent treats are very healthy and easy to incorporate in my calorie allotment, and the less healthy treats are more infrequent.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Treats for me are things like manicures and massages. I don't like to think of food as "treat food" or not.

I like to think of foods as foods that I know are really good for me and foods that I know aren't necessarily as healthy, but are still allowed into what I eat, in moderation, and on occasion - and always accounted for and within whatever amount of calories is allotted for a certain day.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 160/135/130

Well, I will go out and drink about once a month, then with sweets that is just very very rare, usually for a holiday or birthday, but it's really only every couple of months. I just don't crave them or want them as much now that I eat healthy. I try not to allow myself too many treats because I know that can be a slippery slope, but I don't limit myself to anything. I guess mostly I just don't want burgers or fries or anything really bad for me anymore because I am living a healthy lifestyle, but if that's the only choice at a bbq or dinner or party than I will eat it, it's just rare.
Ashley829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 230/159/120

Height: 5"6 (168cm)

I tend to give myself a treat every month or so, but I would always feel absolutely horrible and hating myself deeply the day after =(
Ivonnely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #36  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5' 2"

I am not sure what you mean by treats but, when I am serious about losing weight what works for me is to stay away from the things that got me over-weight in the first place. I don't buy them so they won't be a temptation. I do like others said substitute with low calorie things like fruits and things that are allowed on my chosen plan. I was on a three day diet once that allowed a cup on some days and a 1/2 cup on other days of vanilla ice cream. Ice cream isn't my problem so I wasn't really tempted to eat more. If it would have been peanut butter cookies then I may have skipped them for fear of not being able to stop. I also feel better when I eat healthy foods. I think people have to do what works for them. Also if I do find myself cheating, I feel guilty.
DiBaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 195/189.6/165

Height: 5'11"

Honestly, I have treats every day. Mostly, it's hot chocolate(right now! We just got a huge pack from costco). An 80 calorie pouch helps my chocolate craving and curbs my appetite a bit. Also, a mini non-fat yogurt from golden spoon has about 70 calories. It's heaven! I have little things every day that are not going to break my calories. I definitely don't allow myself near the cookie dough or gallon of icecream, though. I find that if there is a lot of it available, once I start, it's very hard for me to stop.

That's why it's easy for me to have something that is in a pouch, or someone else prepares for me so I can't go get more once I leave, like the hot cocoa and frozen yogurt. Once my weight loss slows a bit, I'm sure I'll have to cut back on the useless calories, but for now, I'm losing just fine while still allowing myself sweets. :]
uhlysse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #38  
Slowly Losing it

S/C/G: 255/155.4/155

Height: 5'5

Personally, I have one or two treats during the week. (usually ice cream) The only time that I cheat is when there is a party or free food my college.

Now that is just recently. When I first started this journey, I had more cheats/treats. That first month was the hardest! After I really got into the results I slowly stopped the treats and cheats.
Casey4213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I eat things that would probably be considered treats every day, probably about 150-200 calories worth of my 1300 calories. There are no foods that I stay away from because I don't have an issue with stopping at one serving when I am being mindful of what I eat. So, if I am in the mood for chips, I have a serving, sweets, I have 2-4 chocolate squares depending on how many calories I have left. I eat english muffin cheese pizza for 200 calories a couples time a week with a salad for lunch. Last night I made the family turkey burgers with a half slice of real swiss, one piece of precooked bacon, and grilled mushrooms and onions with baked french fries for 525 calories and it felt sinfully delicious. For me, it is about not not feeling deprived. Otherwise, I would never last.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

i associatena treat as a reward. I do not want to view food as a reward either. This is this kind of thinking that made me gain weight in the first place. I had to change my relationship with food in order to lose weight. I have accept that in order to maintain my weight loss whatever I am eating now is part of my life and whatever I removed bill stay out. There is plenty to eat that is low in calories and taste delicious I think of papaye, pineapple, blackberries, swiss chard, fresh tomatoes. My treat is the way I feel and look at the moment
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #41  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

I do WW and fit treats (vodka, beer, dining out) into my plan on a daily basis. I typically do a loose plan in the mornings of what I'm going to cook or where I'm eating that day, and balance it out. It isn't a lot of work and I don't feel deprived.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I have found that I really have to limit myself and have a treat maybe once a month.

If I eat a treat any more frequently, I just end up eating treats everyday, getting off track, and feeling terrible.

I don't even think it's a physical thing, but more of a mental space I put myself in. If I'm eating even a few M&Ms every day, I end up feeling out of control, which sets me up for frustration and guilt, which in turn sets me up to "eat in anger".

Normal and healthy? Probably not. But that's what works for ME personally.

And I do find that when I have that treat I truly enjoy it, and feel no guilt, and am able to move on. I have a very Type A, perfectionist type personality, so rigidity works best for me ;-)

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote